Baldness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

We have a lot of guys on these boards who are of the age where pattern baldness has already occurred or is beginning to. It is a subject of interest to me for many reasons.

I myself am completely bald. I started losing hair back when I was 25, and immediately just wacked it. I have shaved my head slick as ice every day of my life since. I'm 29. When I was in high school and college, my hair was sort of like my signature thing. It grew straight and silky smooth and if a girl had anything nice to say about me, it was usually about my hair. Now, my baldness is sort of my signature look, complimented with a goatee and about 40 more pounds of muscle than I had back then. The bald head forced my entire look to evolve from guitar playing anime boy to weightlifting biker dude.

Whereas I used to have nightmares back when I was a teen about losing my hair, waking up in a cold sweat, now I find myself supremely comfortable and confident as a bald man. I think I even prefer the simplicity of it, and I always find that I still get a very good reaction from women regarding it (though usually just a different kind of women...)

I love to hear peoples' reactions to baldness. I don't know why. When I see guys with hair plugs, weaves, toupees and comb-overs, I can't help but feel sorry for them. When I see guys wearing their bald head trimmed nicely and still looking confident, or just shaving it all off slick, I immediately can relate. I can always tell when someone is reacting to my look, whether that reaction is positive or negative, understanding or fearful. Women can be either shallow about hair, not care, or outright like the shaved look. Men, particularly older than my age, tend to see it as sort of a threat or a statement of defiance.

I find all this fascinating. Any guys here going bald? Already bald? Scared of going bald? Bald and loving it? Any women have a repulsion/attraction to bald guys?

I just wanted to hear peoples' innermost thoughts about it.

2. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not bald, but my dad is. My general opinion regarding baldness is, that if it makes you look wiser and more experienced, that's a good thing. If you intentionally go bald, at 25 or 30, I think your sending a false message across.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Alot of women love bald dudes. But yeah, all bald > combovers

4. r0guearmy

r0guearmy Wizrd. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I started losing my hair by the time I was 17. By 19 it really showed that my hair was thinning. Struggled a lot with my confidence, and I still do, but nowadays I keep my hair really short. I invested in some clippers a year ago and every two weeks I just buzz down what I've got with a #2 clip. I'm not ready to go full bald and shave it off. I miss feeling the wind through my hair.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

QFT!!

I really don't get it - are people that do combovers so oblivious as to how stupid it looks? Especially when the wind starts?

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive been losing hair slowly, but Ill eventually do the Bruce Willis thing and shave it when it gets bad enough

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hair is noticeably starting to thin. But it doesn't really bother me. It's a natural part of getting older and I'm just going to roll with it. Keep cutting the hair really short and then shave it when it comes to that point.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I can honestly say i have not started to lose hair but i am 30% white/grey.

In my late teens i shaved my head for about a year and it was a complete pain in the ass and expensive.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Baldies!!!

*runs out of room*

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Started going bald at 22.

It sucked.

I now shave my head. I think I look better now.

11. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

As a woman, I'll weigh in here. Men are attractive when they're comfortable with themselves. Bald or not. It's the same sort of thing that makes an average looking/unattractive woman attractive to a man regardless.

Hair plugs and comb overs = gallons of make up and a stuffed bra. Neither work. Confidence and the obsessive pursuit of being a good person rather than a good looking person, however, is always attractive. Just my $$.

12. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Due to stress my hair started coming out so I just shave it off.

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was born with a full head of hair and I've still got it:rock . Not really worried about going bald because everyone in my family still has tons of hair.

Now with that said.... I don't have Chest or Armpit hair lol

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I feel lucky to still have my hair, but will shave when the time comes.

15. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I noticed in a pic (in front of the pyramids in Cairo) that from a distance my hairline looked like that of one George Costanza. The same day I saw the pic, I went home and shaved it off. It's been 9 years and I haven't looked back.

<---See public profile pic

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I find that's the reasonable, sensitive response from non-shallow women most of the time. I once had a girlfriend who used to talk junk about bald celebrity men like Bruce Willis and Vin Diesel, saying they were hideous. I could tell at that point in my early 20's that I was going to lose my hair, and if she was going to talk smack about sex symbols like those celebs, what would she think of me once my hair was gone? It honestly was a factor in us eventually breaking up.

By then I was already thinking, "partial baldness and baldness 'solutions' are not my cup of tea, so I'm gonna shave it off when this gets outta hand... and she's gonna drop me like a hot brick." She had said "I can't handle the bald thing" of other men already. When I brought it up with her she said "No, I don't mean that about you... I wouldn't find you unattractive because I already love you..."

To me, this translated to "settling" on me despite something she found unattractive. When I pressed her about it, I never got a decent answer. It felt like (as with so many other things with her) a way to make me feel insecure and control me. So I had to put the ix-ne on that due to a huge amount of factors. She was older than me by 11 years and a real control freak.

That's pretty funny. I remember having a similarly decisive reaction. I said to myself, "this is gonna be whole hog. None of this horshoe bald nonsense, I'm gonna give myself a new look." And it's become part of my personality.

17. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'm 31, and I have a slightly receding hairline at the temples, but it looks cool when it's short. When it's longer, you can't even really see it, but I know that as it goes, I'm losing it from the front, not the back.

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Far from bald, hair is so thick, having trouble reaching the scalp when I wash.

As for my opinion on baldness, I'm cool with it, but I don't think I'd want to be bald.

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have some very thin areas, I just trim it all down to almost a crew cut, the beard included. I always liked short almost buzzed hair, so it is what it is. As long as I keep the beard neat and short as well it looks rather good.

Putting sunblock on top of my head however, that I will never get used too.

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, here's another female viewpoint.. I have several girlfriends who are HOT HOT HOT for bald guys...1 in fact :drool:  when she sees any balding or bald guy.. so they are out there and as for my opinion.. I would have to say this: as we age we're all going to lose hair or have gray hair, we're going to gain weight and have joints that creak.. so we need to get over ourselves with the outside appearance.. be neat and clean, dress nice, be kind and treat people with respect..that is what will be loveable in the long run..not the quantity of hair on a person's head but the loving heart and a well-read brain inside..just my humble :D