Fan Art: baking with plastic.

Discussion in 'Requests' started by luke4, Sep 20, 2008.

1. luke4

luke4 crocon

i have some parts of transformers i want to reshape by using sculpey. i am worried about puting the plastic in the oven with the scupley on it and having the plastic melt. how do i go about doing this?

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it'll definitely melt the plastic. Either use Apoxy Sculpt or Milliput or some other 2-part epoxy clay instead of sculpey on your future projects, or boil the sculpey and the plastic part. Boiling it makes the sculpey a lot more fragile and crumbly than if you'd bake it though. You only need to boil it a couple times, for about 30 seconds each time. Just be careful not to leave it in too long or it'll warp the plastic.

But yeah..Sculpey isn't really good for TFs. Especially if you're using it on top of plastic parts. Just remember, like I said -- use Apoxy Sculpt or Milliput from now on. It'll save you a lot of trouble. It sets by itself after a few hours and you don't have to bake it. And it's hard as rock once it does set. It's not fragile at all.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Aves' Apoxy-sculpt is your bestest friend in the whollllllle world!

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Even as a fan of super sculpy, I use ave's apoxy sculpt.

However, there is a way to bake the super sculpt without melting the plastic. set the oven to about 125-150 degree, and keep an eye on it. this is hot enough to cure your clay, but not melt the plastic. just like cooking food.

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but can I find apoxy sculpt at Michaels or Hobby Lobby?

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Far as I understand, it's not widely available in stores, and if it is it's at a fairly high markup. You're far better off ordering directly from them by phone - check out their website for more info.

7. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Aves Fixit-Sculpt. It's the best.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    they deliver real quick too. usually 2-3 days after order is placed, it's at my door.