Bait & Switch?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dmc2008, May 9, 2009.

1. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this what people are referring to the act of scanning other TF toys at the self checkout lane in order to buy ROTF toys?

If so, does anyone know what the consequences of these actions are? I work at a retail store that depends heavily on the data we receive from sales. We don't order what doesn't sell, and these "bait and switched" toys technically never sell. Anyone work at a Walmart and think this matters at all? I doubt it will effect the grand scheme of things, but I'm just bored and curious..

2. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

bait and switch is something tottally differnt.

what those losers are doing is out right stealing.
    technical term is ticket switching

bait and switch is when you advertise something, and don't really have it
    ie advertising OMG AWESOME TRANSFORMER UNIVERSE G1 OPTIMUS PRIME WITH TRAILER ONLY 1.99!!!!ONE111

and you really only have a beat up wheelie that your dog took a dump on it for the same price.

3. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Wait, what's goin' on?

4. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Woah woah, wait. How in the world is this stealing? If they were scanning a $10 Animated deluxe and bagging a $40 leader or a Voyager, yes, that would be theft.

But scanning one $10 toy and bagging another $10 toy that won't scan is in no way theft. It may be a case of circumventing a street date or a computer lockout on the item, but it is not theft.

5. Blitzwing256

it is ticket switching, and is considered theft, regardless if the item is the same price, it is dishonest and against the law. (and even more so then ticket switching a 10$ item for a 40$ item because you are costing the store about 5000-10000$ in fines if that item is street dated once its discovered its "lost")

its amazing how creepy thieves will find anyway to justify being a filthy criminal
    trully amazing.

6. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think what he is saying that by scanning item A, and buying item B, it will be in the computers that the store has item B in stock, while it is item A. Basicly I'm thinking it could result in shelf warmers and crappy distribution.

7. Blitzwing256

and furthermore, you are creating shrink for the company by reducing the count on one item that you aren't actually purchasing, and lowering the actual on hand count of the other, ie costing the store 2 loses so you can have your precious toy a week early.

(and possibly putting yourself on watch when they check the camera footage once the shrink is tracked down)

8. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I do agree that it's kind of a selfish move to make. What about those of us that are patiently waiting for May30, only to show up early that morning and find no Leader Primes? And how much longer do we have to wait until our particular store figures out they need more?

It's not nearly as bad as returning swapped-out toys (the whole "Premium" debacle). And I agree that if I saw ROTF toys on the shelf I would be pissed off if they wouldn't let me buy them.

But going out of your way to manipulate a system with regulations you are totally aware of? Not something I would do.

BTW, maybe a mod can change the title to "Ticket Switching" and we can continue the debate.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

You only say that because deep down, you long to be so filthy. Classic misplaced filth envy. :) 

Utter nonsense. I like how you somehow turn a switched quantity of two equal-value items into a double loss, when in fact no loss of revenue has occurred (ultimately the only thing that concerns Walmart). If an inventory check shows one item is below count, an inventory will also show the other item is in surplus. 1 loss + 1 overage = moot

The only thing that really matters for big chain retailers is the value of their inventory. As long as the final numbers stack for the bean counters when the inventory is done, everything is considered to be running as it should. It's all about the accounting, which makes moralistic posturing on the matter somewhat self-important. I guess everybody needs a pulpit.

If ticket-switching were to take place on a truly GRAND scale, then that could certainly result in incorrect item quantities and a bit of systemic chaos, with some items not getting re-ordered when they need to. Maybe...

But again, nobody important really cares about that at a place like Walmart. They have bigger issues, and for the most part, things like that are already built into their sales models and projections. They decided to drop jobs, and save money by having fewer cashiers and more auto-check outs... the potential for misuse, and the other associated costs were long ago calculated and balanced. The notion that anyone is going to "check the security tapes" to stem the tide of ticket-switching (why are the pre-release toys even on the shelves??) is not only absurd... it's delusional, and shows a marked misunderstanding of how business works.

Is it breaking the rules? Sure. Does it contribute to inventory errors? Absolutely. Does it make you a "filthy criminal"? for doing it? No, and please grow up.

In conclusion, I don't mean to flatly legitimize illegal behaviours. I've never ticket-switched anything, though I don't really see anything fundamentally wrong with it either. But... some of the heavy-handed judgmental posturing here is way beyond lame. Some people are much more interested in "the rules" and the moral soapbox it allows them, than they are in seeing the big picture that makes those rules relevant (or not).

zmog

10. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

I think the reason we see pre-release toys on the shelves is a combination of misinformed employees putting stock out and the retailer wanting their money shot a little early. It explains the inability to purchase pre-release toys at one location but not at another.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, totally... a combination of general apathy, administrative incompetence, or greed (going for the cash-grab).

I run a video store, so I deal with street dates all the time. It sucks when a competitor breaks street date to get the jump on the other stores. On the other hand, it doesn't stop me from watching all the new movies a week early myself. :D 

zmog

12. rampage scream

rampage scream Well-Known Member

maybe your store should hire people who can read street dates on boxes?

13. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

im amused by your haughtiness. do you own walmart?

more please

14. rampage scream

I am not condoning the swap technique to obtain the toys that are due out in 3 weeks, but come on, as we have seen in pictures here on boxes the street date is clearly labeled for the employees to see, if they cant read or tell time then i have no problem with someone scanning a different toy to purchase a toy that is on the shelves. It is not the consumers fault that the big companies hire incompetent workers.

15. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I have had employees of toys r us do this for me when some universe toys would not ring up, the employees...It is not a big deal.

16. rampage scream

i wouldnt do it because the toys are gonna be out for the next 2 years but if someone does it then good for them.

17. rampage scream

yes, it is not like the company is losing a dollar amount for their inventory, if the person scans the same toy amount for the purchase. like i have said, it is not the consumers fault that the company they purchase from hires people who break the rules/ cannot identify a street date on toys? not our problem, they are displayed to the public as available and should be so.

18. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

If I see ROTF on the pegs/shelves with a price tag saying they're X-amount, then that (to me) is the store advertising the sale of that item at that price. In effect, they are promising that if I give them that amount, I can have that item.

If I then attempt to legally purchase said item, and they refuse (for whatever reason, but especially if it was just some stockboy's fudge-up) then that's the same as false advertising/bait and switch/whatever and I have no problem using... alternate methods to force the store to honor their promise.

19. Bocc Kob

Bocc Kob Prowl Jam!

Aren't Universe Deluxes two bucks cheaper than RoTF Deluxes?

20. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

Might depend on the store.

At my walmart all TF deluxes are $12.88