Badcube OTS-08 SunSurge / Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

It was SunSurge's "yellow suit" that inspired that pose :D 

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Looks great. Perfect even. You could have fooled everyone with that box. Well, actually the pictures look even better then the TT ones. That Carpet! The only problem I have with it is with the numbering. MP12S.

Usually when TT uses the numbering scheme, it is because of a repaint. A new mold gets it's own number. Sometimes, a new character from the same mold also gets a new number.

Come to think of it, TT is pretty inconsistent with it. But I think they are consistent that new molds get different numbers.

3. dafob

dafob Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Totally agree with you on the numbering. New molds usually get a new number and repaints get the same number. But I couldn't just assign a new number like MP30 because eventually TT would release something w/ that number. Besides: I figure if they can give RamJet, (a new mold in my opinion even though it was heavily based on MP11) MP11NR then I figure it wasn't so far to give SunStreaker MP12S. :) 

4. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Hmm. You could always use 12i, with i being the square root of -1. After all, you are imagining what the box would look like if it were really an MP. Or, if you think the transformation is complex enough, you could use 12 + i.

Yes, I'm a math nerd. Why do you ask? ;) 

5. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

:D 

6. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I'm gutted. I *love* - or loved - this figure (you can find me singing its praises with lots of photos upthread). I've transformed him back and forth over the past few weeks and have loved everything about him. Then, as I was transforming him back to robot mode just a moment ago, this happened:

[​IMG]

It happened as I was trying to get the roof up past the doors, as per the instructions, which is always a bit of a fuss, but I wasn't forcing it nor did it snap - it just came away. Clearly it's been weakening with each transformation and this was the proverbial straw.

Fortunately, because of how everything fits together, he can still form both modes; there's just a part that comes away during the transformation. A real shame, though. He certainly just got scratched off my figure-of-the-year list.

Anyway, if you don't transform your figures much, you probably won't run into the issue; but if you're like me and enjoy transforming figures back and forth, watch out for this area.

Attached Files:

7. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    That. Sucks. [​IMG] I think that's worth trying to get a replacement over. Stuff like that shouldn't be happening.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Ugh, that's really bad. Let's hope,it's isolated.

9. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    Hilarious and I love your pseudonym! Would you like a jelly baby?

Only math joke I know is the old one:
    square root of minus 1, two to the power of three, sigma, 3.14159265359. It was blueberry.

10. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star As seen on TV

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man. Sorry that happened to you.

11. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    Yikes! That is scary, so sorry!

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gah! That break!

*shivers* I'd be so, so pissed right now. Like unhealthy pissed. Especially at $100.00

For clarification purposes, I'd be mad if it were official or 3rd party, especially at that price.

13. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

3rd parties should have a proper pre-release period, say 3 to 4 weeks where they get their figures and transform the shit out of them as to find any potential weaknesses or production faults in their products. Then run the true production release that we, the consumer get, free of these issues. This is true QC.
    And for a figure at this price, it's unacceptable.

14. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch...that is very unfortunate...

BadCube seems like a very fan friendly 3P. It might be a long shot but you might try e-mailing them or posting on their FaceBook page to see if parts can be replaced or even maybe the entire figure. I would sure give it a go were I in your position.

15. roaddemon2001

roaddemon2001 Mr. fixit

Damn.. Sorry , man. Stopped me dead in my tracks... was 10 minutes from ordering this one. I haven't got to even look at this bot up close. Is that ratchet on clear plastic?.... Is it even necessary?

16. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    :eek: 

I'd defo be looking at getting that replaced man.

17. tenkaros

tenkaros Well-Known Member

Is there any way to repair it using glue?

18. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    Unnecessary ratchets are the new die cast.

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I got Badcube Sunsurge yesterday - I like him a lot!

[​IMG]

He looks fantastic in person, and even mistransformed to fill out the shins his legs are very solid since the rotational joints are all ratchets, with the exception of one swinging joint which gets locked in place by the back leg panel even when not transformed fully.

The transformation is a bit fiddly, but overall much easier than their previous offerings, I would say even easier to deal with than Brawny and Backland, since there's no guesswork as to where to put or arrange things (like you have to do with their arms if you want everything to peg together properly). The collarbone plate is easy to clip down as long as you do it before tabbing the backpack in (specifically the section of the car's nose that folds behind the head), and the chest doesn't split apart too much as long as you've made sure to clip the grey joints on the collar are as far up as they'll go (there's some detail bits like small pistons that press against the neck joint when they're in the right place).

He looks and rolls well in vehicle mode, too. The only thing I could have asked for would be maybe a slightly darker tint to better hide all of the robot junk he's got inside of him, but it's a minor nitpick and he absolutely shines where it counts (the robot mode).

I'm really glad that I got him and I can't wait to see what Badcube does next.

20. HardMangG

HardMangG Well-Known Member

which is interesting cause majority of my 3p in the last 6 months have either not used any die cast or use die cast very well