Heavy/Scratch: BadBabeBot head for deluxe Terradive

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fakebusker83, Jun 9, 2011.

1. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update July 19, 2011

BadBabeBot head revision 2.0

[​IMG]

So after weeks of work, I've finally got the head to a stage where I'm comfortable with it. To solve the many problems that you gracious people have given me feedback about, I re-did her face in NURBS instead of just polygons, removed the Decepticon logo, added volume saving gaps, and enhanced the proportions in general.

I tried redoing Terradive's hands to make them slimmer and possibly posable, but so far the design has stumped me. Hence, I've decided to release the head by itself instead of in a set.

I've started working on the Null-ray rifle specially customised to work in TD's jet mode. This will be released separately, so stay tuned.

A note though: Shapeways has recently revised their pricing scheme for FUD material so that there is a $5 startup cost per item and lower costs per unit volume after that. This means that it's not really worth it ordering individual tiny objects, and ultimately cheaper to order a whole bunch of items under one item listing. This sucks especially for things like bot heads, hands and weapons when you want the best detail possible but they are small in volume.

I would still recommend FUD for the light piping, but be aware I have no control over the pricing, so don't be shocked to see the sudden price jump between materials.

You can order Revision 2.0 at
    Badbabebot head 2.0 by fakebusker83 on Shapeways

You can still order Revision 1.5 at
    Badbabebot head 1.5 by fakebusker83 on Shapeways

Original post:
    [​IMG]

I got the sample and painted her up...Once I mounted the head on, I don't really feel it sat well on the torso. Either the head is too small, or the proportions of Terradive is simply not suited for feminine characters. It's going to take a lot of additional sculpting/bashing to really make her feminine. Now, I'm gonna have to make some changes or abandon this project...:eek: 

[​IMG]

Intended changes would be to streamline her neck area to integrate better with the body, maybe make the head larger to reduce the 'manliness' of the shoulders, smoothen her face surfaces (currently too faceted), smoothen the helmet.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But the good news is, Frosted Ultra Detail is excellent for light piping!

I'm feeling kinda at a loss here. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

EDIT (17 June 2011):
    So to you guys who have been waiting, here's an update.

Due to recent events, I have been getting a lot of commission offers. Awesome, exciting ones...I'd like to do them all but I have prioritise now...

She will eventually be updated as a set but the waiting time is now indeterminate. And I really hate to leave people hanging. As such, I will be releasing the current head as it is, so you guys who don't mind faceted faces can choose to order her.

I tidied up the neck area so it flows smoother into Terradive's body. The issue that comes up is that she cannot tilt her head up or sideways anymore, only simple left/right movement, but I'm sure you guys can reshape the neck for better posability.

I highly recommend printing her in Frost Ultra Detail, to take advantage of the light piping effect. The neck joint has been tested to work (pretty well in fact) so you guys shouldn't have a problem.

For those who are patient and don't mind waiting forever, stay tuned...

Attached Files:

2. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

Release her! that might be a little off but still looks really good. Definetly works in my book.

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    man I which I was talented enough to take the shape ways stuff and make it look more presentable because that is an awesome head

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

What other body-types have you experimented with putting the head on? A number of people have suggested Cyclonus as a good base for a Slipstream.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, I think the proportions are great as far as the head:body. to try to make the head a bit more feminine, I might try thinning out the side antennae/bracket things, but leave the face itself alone.

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I need that head, man. That looks slick. Her arms are a bit long, but that's not too distracting. LOVE that head.

7. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

i think terradive's body is just plain weird in general.

but that is severely delicious lightpiping you have there.

8. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

the actual head looks better than the shapeways model

9. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    you did it again man, i love it!

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The head looks great. But I can see why you're having doubts about the body. I agree that Cyclonus could work though, but he'd need some (minor?) bashing to make him look feminine.

11. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it. I agree that it doesn't *quite* work with the mold, but the head looks great. I'd love to see a more masculine version of that head as well - it would work on this and a few other molds.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it looks really good. Are you going to be producing these or is it just for a custom?

13. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

You know what would go a long way towards making Terradive more "feminine"? A new front foot piece. It'd require popping a pin out, but if you changed the shape of the foot so the black piece folded down like the spike of a high heel and the front piece was shaped like the, well, foot of a high heel. That and a new set of hands would go a long, long way.

Of course like I said, that's way more serious 'bashing than a headswap.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The problem with most "skinny" bots, is that they still have big shoulders and tiny hips, so they don't make very good fembots. I think that Cyclonus, despite having both of these problems, would be an choice worth exploring. It'd be worth trying the head on and snap some pics at least.

Also, depending on how far you want to go modifying a figure, Cybertron Skywarp might also be a good candidate for Slipstream. That figure actually does have small shoulders and a more widely spaced hip joint. The giant weapon arm is kind of unappealing, but can be fixed.

The head, of course, is exquisite. I don't even mind some of the more "faceted" elements. She is still a robot, right? :) 

zmog

15. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Definitely need that head! A slightly larger version would be great as well, for use on the MP seeker mold. I think it looks great as is! Start producing these as soon as you can man!

16. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    I like how that works. I know your busy but any chance we will see a complete upgrade set

17. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The head looks really nice. Not sure about the body though...

18. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

The Energon Starscream mold looks great as a fembot

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

You have a point. Lyzack in the TFCC comics uses that body, and she doesn't look overly masculine.

20. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    i think is the nose, too big for a GIRL and why not a version that matches the original terradive colors?