Bad timing for "Take your daughter to work day"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baccala1976, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

2. E.Rabbot

E.Rabbot Well-Known Member

Gonna need a bigger boat.

3. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I just was in an argument with someone about this yesterday. They were asking me if they did a good job, and I said, what does that matter? Should that make it OK for them to do that? What happened if they caused 2 planes to collide and hundreds of people die? Would it not be their fault because they didn't know any better?

It all comes down to, they shouldn't of been doing it in the first place. PLAIN AND SIMPLE! I don't care if they had 100 safe plane landings, all it takes is 1 mistake...

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I need to clarify something for those who will read this entire thread -

The line he let the daughter say? That's the ATC equivalent of "bye, have a nice day, you're off to New York." As long as he told her what to say, and she said it correctly, then there was ABSOLUTELY NO departure from standard tower-to-plane correspondence, with the exception of the fact that the voice was that of the daughter and not the ATC operator.

What we're talking about would NOT result in "causing 2 planes to collide and hundreds of people dying." It may get a laugh out of the departing pilot & operator, but that's it. Gross negligence of tower control operation would have been if the guy had just handed his kid the microphone and headphones and said "Have fun." This is NOT what occured.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

one bad judgment.

6. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I'm sort of with Ops_was_a_truck on this one, but given the atmosphere in aviation today, it really was a bonehead decision on the part of the controller. I realize it was a harmless one-off, and nobody was really in danger, but really, the guy should've known that this was gonna boomerang and chomp him right where the meat is the thickest.

7. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Glad someone was paying attention to the event in question.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Ever wonder how the plane from Lost ended up crashing? Now you know. 8 year old.

But still, as long as the kid was supervised and the licensed ATC was right there behind her, I don't see the harm. It's not like this kid was assigning tarmacks or anything.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Granted yes, I was unaware of that was all they did. But what my post was more about, was the argument I had with someone on the issue in general. However, this guy really should have thought more about doing something like this, especially, being we have enough security issues with airline stuff.

10. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    The kid said "Have a good day." I see no problem with this.

PLANES EXPLODING IN THE SKY, CATS EATING DOGS, ALL BECAUSE SOME BASTARD LET HIS KID SAY "HAVE A NICE DAY."

In b4 millions of replies by people who didn't bother to read the entire article.

11. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Obviously I read the entire article and I completely agree. There was no danger in the skies and even some of the pilots thought it was cute. The kid basically said "See ya later" and that was it!

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

From the article:

So then Nance, you're saying that having your kid on your knee while landing the plane would result in no danger to the airline or passengers?

Then why the hell did you bring it up dumbass?

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Saw this on the news last night.

I'm sorry, but no... even if the kids were supervised and did as they were told, taking them to work at an airport -- especially in the air control tower -- and having them take part in the daily operations is just not a wise decision.

Yes, I do admit it's cute, and yes, nothing went wrong, but still... considering this day and age with all the security issues plaguing airports and the aviation industry as a whole, bringing kids to work at an airport is just a serious lack of judgment. I mean, what if something did go wrong?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Meh,

Not a very smart decision by the Air Traffic control officer, but like Ops said, the father was telling her what to say and at no time was the girl ever in control of anything that would cause people harm.

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bonehead move IMO. That’s not a bullshit job (like mine) lots of life’s at risk and to be honest. She shouldn’t have been there to begin with IMO. Bring your kid to work day should only be for Jobs that can cause no deaths if done half heartedly.
    Basically he’s a traffic cop for the sky. His attention should only be on the planes in the sky and taking off.

16. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This, but i'm not an air trafic controll man so I couldn't make a final decision.

All the kids said was to the extent of, "have a nice day" and "welcome" - they werent directing where to land or what runway to take off from. Also, the pilost had no trouble with it, i even heard chuckles.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't see any problem with letting the kid say something over the mike.

I do see a potential problem with babysitting your kids while working a high-responsibility/high-pressure job at the same time.

18. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Agreed with Aernaroth and Ops_was_a_Truck on this one. No harm was done or could have been commited. I don't see the problem.

19. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Saw this last night. While I didn't see any real harm in what happened and still don't, I can understand the reaction it got. In a post-9/11 world, everybody's paranoid when it comes to aviation.

20. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Aside from me being evnious of a kid that got to talk on traffic control (and I never did), I see no problem. The parent was right there, if a problem did occurr he could catch it and correct it immediately. And the pilots are blind, nor do I think they would indanger their own children by landing a plan with one on their knee. Nor do I think anyone is ever allowed in the pilots cockpit aside from pilots and stewardis after the 9/11 incident

This was overreacted on, and the higher ups have their asses over their heads. Kinda sad a dad can't do something special for his kids nowindays

i NEVER got to go to "bring your brat to work day" Shut up people! Let the family have sum fun! I never got to <~ has issues