Bad players, or why I miss PC gaming

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by PlanckEpoch, Aug 30, 2012.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    *Sigh* I don't rant, but I just have to get this off my chest.

Ever since I realized that I can't keep up with the PC upgrades because of my other hobbies, I've resorted to console gaming. Playing Fall of Cybertron reminds me deeply how much I HATE console gaming when it comes to multiplayer.

Drop in multiplayer, Peer-to-peer like Fall of Cybertron is really killing me. Now, I'm a good player. I cut my teeth in Counter-Strike when it was just a free download Half LIfe mod. That's way back in 1999 for those not savvy in video game history.

I'm not a super ultra pro, but I'm pretty good. I take some measure of pride knowing that I can pick up a game and eventually get good at it. Sadly, I have never been able to fully adjust to a controller, and that control scheme is often the biggest thing that kills me. When I played Modern Warfare 2 on X-box, I could barely break even in my Kill-Death ratio. When I got it on PC, I was a 2:1 KD player. It's a huge difference when I can get my hands on a keyboard and mouse.

But this rant isn't about me. It's about others. The biggest thing I hate about console MP is that it breeds a huge community of awful players. When I played Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat, those old Half Life 1 based shooters, I played on dedicated servers. I always played with people I knew and I became friends with. We were all good players, and on a full server of 32 people, everyone was competent and were all good players, some of us even played competitively in CAL league at the time.

But this generation of console players...I've never been more frustrated by jumping into a peer-to-peer game on a losing side. My win/loss rate is awful because I **REFUSE** to stay on teams where the players are awful. I work my ass off trying to get kills and get points, and yet others just sit around doing jack shit and we lose. I remember a time when gamers had just a little bit more pride in learning the game and trying to get at least decent. Getting on so many bad teams, it feels to me that the sense of pride and accomplishment in getting good at a game is just gone.

It's just so sad to me that it makes me want to quit console gaming. It just doesn't feel worth it to me.

2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    So, what you're saying is people who aren't good at the game shouldn't have fun by playing it because you're obsessed with having the one second of pride when your faction leader says you won? Win/loss isn't even tracked.
    And that's not elitist how?

If you want to just play with friends, collect friend codes and do it.

3. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Being good does not equal not having fun. No, I did NOT say that. What I mean is that people put relatively little effort into the games I've seen and it shows. I KNOW what effort looks like. I've been gaming straight both hardcore and soft from the late 90s until now. I don't mind winning or losing...what I care about is trying hard.

I don't mind losing. I've lost more than I can keep count, but I remember the days when the games were hard won or lost by a slim margin, and we all had a great time. Sure it wasn't always like that, but games where there were ROFLstomps were the rare instance when the server regulars were gone and we had a lot of "pubs" in.

I'm calmer now and looking back at my post I didn't really illustrate what my real issue with, and that's effort, or lack thereof. I'm a person who has pride because I live my life on putting my best in everything. I fucked up a lot in my life and I'm paying for it, but I'm getting better just by putting effort. I feel there's nothing not worth learning and learning well, whether it be a job, education, or even gaming. That's why I take pride when my team and I come out on top, because we worked for that win.

I understand that not everyone is me...but what I don't understand is that if you like something, why not put a little bit of pride in what you do? Aim for that promotion at work. Work on improving a skill. Work on learning something new. If you like something, I feel it's worthwhile to put your effort into it. If people like to play games, then they should put effort into it at least. As I said...I know what effort looks like. I've been playing multiplayer games for 13 years and I know what a person trying hard in a game is, and what isn't.

Trust me, I have no fun when we're just totally stomping the enemy too. That feels totally empty and that is also a turn off for me. I just want to play games where both sides are evenly matched, and both teams are putting out their 110%. That's fun for both sides. I just don't know when we as gamers started to think that Effort = Not Fun as far as our gaming experience goes.

I guess I'm just a gaming dinosaur now. My boat sailed years ago. :lol 

4. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I never said that either. The post seemed to be implying that only people who are good at the game deserve to be having the fun of playing, while if you are not good at the game you should not be online, which seemed very elitist.
    That's the problem I have with some fighting games online. Don't know everything about the game and are perfect at it and know every characters every move and all exploitations? You're a "scrub" and constantly insulted and kicked out. I like the FOC has a more friendly atmosphere.

I do understand that its frustrating when others let you down, but why worry about it? The game tracks kill and gives the medals to who gets the most kills and assists, regardless of who won. To me, the winning faction is relatively unimportant.

5. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    It's just because I'm not much of a lone wolf player. Sure, I actually care about my Kill-Death. I'm holding approximately a 2.2:1 ratio right now, and I think that's as good as I'm going to get for how much I play. I think I'm doing pretty fantastic.

But there's nothing like going to a point to cap or defend, and KNOWING that had I had someone else to support me or to back up, then we could've come out on top. I'm VERY willing to lose kills if another teammate picks up that kill and we succeed in our goal, whether that be defending a point or capturing it. But that doesn't happen if no one works together or "gets it" and starts moving around in teams. Again, that's where the effort thing goes.

Basically, I like team modes because they challenge you in ways that aren't just personal skill. I thrive in those kind of environments and games quickly lose their fun when other people aren't on the same page. I've had games like that where even without headsets our team just clicked and we did what we did and we won, but those happen too few times, and that saddens me.

Also, as part of the fighting game community...I can't say I'm innocent. I've said my fair share of "GTFO noob," often in meaner ways, but that's the dirty underbelly of the fighting game community. I do feel that it's something that needs to be worked on, but it's really hard. You see, for those "in the know" that kind of trash talk is common place. It's called "Getting Salty," as we call it in the fighting game lingo. As a competitive fighting game player it's expected that players will get salty, and YOU will often get salty too. People use this in many ways in games, as psychology can be quite a tool to use to defeat your opponent.

6. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    You will have to learn a lot more younger people are playing now and they are terrible most of the time compared to teens and adults and trust me people do put effort in people just don't mind losing anymore since it means nothing.

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a PC gamer and I really have no love for consoles, but I have to be honest... PC's just as bad. A little worse, actually. Because people come along with slow rigs, high pings, Steam has sales all the time and everyone and their brother comes along and starts sucking like a black hole, it's just... Grr...

Console or PC, it doesn't matter...sucky gamers will come out of the woodwork. Sucky gamers will always be a pain in the ass. Considering the price paid to be a PC gamer, it's a real pisser. Anyone can save up for a console, in time. But PC gaming? You either have to keep upgrading, or buy a system ready to go...all for a pretty penny. Add insult to that injury? Griefers. Love it.

It's a shame you can't electrocute bad players through their console or PC...seriously. Not a kill kinda deal, but a "Hey, you suck, go play offline for a while" kind of deal.

Always, always, always learn the game in an offline campaign mode. Then work your way up to online campaigns, then go to online versus (or escalation). I just finished playing Left 4 Dead 2 and one of the players said it best "You don't learn in VS. You bring your shit game to single player and learn it. Don't screw it for the rest of us. Goo'bye. You're gone." and we kicked the bad player so fast... Never saw a unanimous vote go through so fast. It was....sublime.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You are the problem.

9. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. My side loses constantly because I always get paired up with the incompetent morons. My teammates always die a lot, and almost every Conquest game I play ends up with my side having one, capturing ONE other one and then losing the last one, over and over.

Go look at the TDM Section of Teletraan 1 Leaderboards, it is.

10. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Wow, you're a total elitist snob. If people are bad at multiplayer, so what? That gives you no right to treat them like dirt. And that bit about electrocuting players because they're not good enough in your book? Makes you sound like an ass. People bought a game, same as you, and they can play it however they want. Don't like it? Go play with people with the same outlook as you. Those people who "suck" probably don't want to play with you anyway. They're out to have a good time and that's it.

I don't judge people who suck at a game, because not everyone is going to be good at it. Hell, I'm not all that good in MP, but no one tears me down because of it. Yeesh.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  11. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I'm the opposite. If I get put on a bad team, I view it as a challenge to try to pull our team through to win. I mean, what's the point of being on a good team where you win all the time? Where's the challenge there?

12. McBradders

Oh hey, you guys who are so goddamn super good awesome at the game, can you share your gamertags so we know who to avoid when playing online?

Thanks muchly :D 

13. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    McBradders is the perfect example of another type of person in general I abhor. Someone who missed the point of this thread entirely. Way to go buddy. Way to go.

Also...I cannot agree with this at all. This is also missing the point of what I was trying to say. Again, the first post was written in a fit of frustration and I didn't word it exactly the way I wanted it. Hey, I'm human afterall. Anyways, I don't agree with this because just because someone is "bad" at a game, doesn't mean they don't have a desire to improve, or lack effort. The issue is with people who lack effort, not people who are inexperienced. If you're trying to cap points, or trying hard for kills but not getting there, you're still putting in effort and I like that. It shows that you're trying, and perhaps you're still learning, and I have zero problem with that.

My problem comes from people who seem to refuse to defend points, refuse to help out teammates, and don't put any effort at all to actually play the game. The kind of people who don't heal when they see you low on health, or if you're defending a point and they fly away at every little sniff of danger. THAT is what I dislike.

Again...I'm not a pro player. I'm a pretty good player, but I remember a time when I sucked at War for Cybertron. I remember when I sucked ass on the Fall of Cybertron demo. Just because someone is inexperienced doesn't mean they need to be punished. As someone who used to participate in low level, local fighting game tournaments, there is no other way to learn a multiplayer portion of a game by jumping in. Single player can only get you so far...at some point you NEED to jump into multiplayer whether you're ready or not. Single player can only teach you a basic foundation, your "Game mechanics 101" skills. Multiplayer is what you have to jump in to actually apply that knowledge, and learn the more advanced skills that you need to know to succeed in multiplayer.

14. McBradders

You're still the problem. This is still a stealth "hey guys I am good and you are all bad" thread. I haven't misunderstood at all.

15. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Keep thinking that, buddy. I don't mind at all.

16. ArmoredSwampert

ArmoredSwampert Literal Pokéformer

Two things.
    First off, this is a Transformers game. You know the kid-aimed action figure line? Yeah, I know, massive adult following, blah blah, but younger, less experienced gamers are going to play this.

Second, for every bad console player there are bad PC gamers. PC is not the ultimate bastion of quality gamers.

I apologize if I missed any points you gave.

17. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Yeah, sadly, the days of dedicated servers are gone. Its something that newer gamers will never experience or understand, which makes me sad, too :/

18. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

So rather than complaining that other people aren't good enough, you're complaining that they aren't taking the game seriously enough?

If you're after a strategic team game with an experienced and mature clan that takes a no-nonsense approach to the serious sport of gaming... try a different game.
    Sorry to sound harsh, but it's true. You mentioned CS, and FOC couldn't be further from it. As far as the audience it draws, and the commitment it demands.

While High Moon has tried to encourage teamwork, FOC MP is always going to be more like Quake3 or UT, than CS or Tribes. It is reaching for mass appeal and wants to avoid a steep learning curve.

To be honest, those days you remember are long gone. Thanks in part to CS and the rampant hacking that followed, and also thanks to the fact that online gaming is more accessible to a broader demographic.

If you want somebody you know will work with you, you'll need to make friends with some competent players who play as regularly as you.
    Teamwork is fun when it works well, but its not mandatory, and most people just want a bit of fun.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  19. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    There's a difference between "HAHA U SUK AN I ROK" and "As a good player, I would appreciate a challenge seeing as most of the players don't seem to be trying to provide one, no offense to anyone who may see it that way."

This! The last CTF match I played, I was the only one defending my flag except for this one leader who kept wasting his A-4 Pulsar Cannon ammo for no reason other than thinking sometimes they don't blow up in less than a second after landing, AND I was the only one who captured a flag and got it back to base. Seriously, I was the only one who got a score, so we won.