Bad parenting and video games collide!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spartan Prime, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    No. You need to try harder.

Also ask aloud if the mom was hot.

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He won 52 combo meals from Chick-fil-A in a tournament. He's putting food on the table!

Am I the only one that read the article, and I don't mean the blog post. The one that talked about how he's being home schooled with a tutor? I mean I did and it didn't stop me from posting outrage because it's fun.

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only in ones dreams.. they are still and always will be a loser...

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back when I worked at Toys R Us I had similar experience yet opposite reaction..

I was covering the video game section for the game guy's break. A mom comes up with a GTA: SA (this was around the time it came out) or VC. She had a 9ish year old son with her. I kinda looked at her, looked at the kid and asked the mom what she knew about the game. She said "All I know is he wants it..." I proceeded to explain how you steal any car, kill people, run people over, pick up hookers, etc. and explained it was aimed at people more my age. Her eyes went wide and she said "Well he's not getting THAT!" The little kid shot me daggers with his eyes. and She made him put it back. I smiled to myself. Kid no way am I letting someone your age get away with pulling this crap if I can help it.

5. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Oh those kids and wanting their lifes to be like video games.

!

*hides in cardboard box*

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he's getting homeschooled then grats to him, I guess. o_O 

The crossover of videogames and real life and lifestyle is a frightening thing. Clearly a plot by the La Li Lu Le Lo.

7. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

It's not inappropriate. The way kids are babied these days is inappropriate. If I had kids I would let them play GTA and watch R rated movies. Movies/games have no bearing on how good of a parent you are.

8. frenzy.mp3

frenzy.mp3 Boisterous Ruffian

At least he didn't drop out to become a Heroin Hero....

Thats a bright side.

9. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    Somebody please slap these people in the face with a beach sandal.
    Whenever I read about bullshit like this I feel like 10 people are tap-dancing over my neck, simultaneously, trying to hit my jugular vein.

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I have the newspaper for this since I also live in Raleigh. If he actually played a real guitar I think it'd be more impressive

11. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Movies and games influence you a lot. I'm not saying that you shouldn't let them play some Halo or something, but GTA is pretty extreme and if you let preteens(whoa, haven't said that in a while) play those games and watch those movies then it just leads to something bad

12. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well it's a damn good thing that you don't have kids then.

When I came out of the womb the first thing my parents did was sat me down to watch SUPER ZOMBIE CANNIBALS EAT DUDES AND HAVE NASTY SEX XXXVII.

I TURNED OUT JUST FINE! Therefore so would everyone else if the same thing happened to them.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    After reading the article, it sounds like the kid really wasn't doing at all well in high school anyway, especially socially, and tutoring is working very well. As long as he's still getting his education I don't see where its any different than kids who get tutored instead of going to high school so they can do things like acting, rodeos, chess competitions, etc.

Well, aside from the fact that most things like that do lead to an actual career...

--Moony

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

ITT: jealousy, suckers, "wont somebody PLEASE think of the children!!!" and pitchforks. Really. Its high school. The only thing High School ever did for me was give me a diploma and make it so I don't have to take a foreign language in college. It was nearly a complete waste of time. I am now turning straight aces at a university. Yeah, it would have been awesome if I could have simply played games all day and then read a book and take a test whenever I had to.

QFT! And its funny that if it were a sport or something everyone would be fine with what the parents are doing. (Special note: Video games are a sport if you live in Korea (or at least Starcraft is))

But the headlines implied something different! Lets all just RAGE about it anyway with our torches and pitchforks! Critical thinking FTL, but what do I expect in the age of Fox News "Journalism"? :thumbdown 

You fool! Everything is a plot by La Li Lu Le Lo! The economy, the government, "bad" parenting, those hard to open packaging that electronics are often placed in, everything!!!

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's not even a "pro gamer" he's a "pro Guitar Hero" which means that, outside of one game series whose time will pass sooner rather than later, he's got nothing. I've got nothing against having him home school'd, but doing so, for his quest of becoming a "guitar hero" rather than a better education? That's pathetic.

16. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Wow... that is pretty friggin ridiculous.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    That's the thing. Pro-gamers are skilled at more then one game. Heck, even way back when in the days of arcade pro gamers, it was a single pro gamer who held the record for Pac-man, Centipede, Spy Hunter, and a few other games. Getting high score in one was a news story, getting a bunch of them got him income. I saw an interview somewhere on the web with him not that long ago, and he talks about all the work he did back in the day figuring out the programming to exploit it to get the scores that got the income, not that he had set the top score on the Pac-man arcade machine.

It's nice that he's home schooled, but it's not the education, it's nurturing the idea that he'll make a living playing Guitar Hero that's wrong. It reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon:

[​IMG]

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's still getting an education so I don't see the problem. Sure he will have to learn social interaction diffrently. Perhaps the school enviornment wasn't for him. Guitar Hero may be more of an excuse to home school than anything else. Lots of kids never go to a physical school and do fine.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Except he doesn't have an "exceptional skill", he's beaten a few people online and won a few local tournaments for a video game, that by the admission of a real professional gamer, will never amount to a real payout. On top of that, this real professional gamer, someone who's been doing it for years and probably spent more attending these contests then he's actually won, admits that there's very little chance of someone actually making a living from this type of situation.

I will admit that it's not taking him out of school that was the main problem, he was put in a catholic school and that probably was the heart of the issue. It's that if anyone believes that this "talent" of his will lead him somewhere, especially his parents, well they're just a bit off. They could have at least tried public school, as that would help him become more sociable without the strict requirements of a catholic school weighing him down.