Bad Luck With QC

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Facemeat, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Today I picked up Leader Ironhide, and Target Exclusive Voyager Ratchet. I first opened up Ratchet, and immediately, his right arm popped off at the swivel joint above the elbow. I stuck it back on, and it hasn't popped off since, but that joint on both arms is slightly loose, and the parts that hold it together simply won't close completely, even after tightening the screws. Not a huge deal, so I began transforming him, and noticed that the two flaps at the back of the vehicle/thighs of the robot pop off very easily. I trudged on, and then noticed two stress marks on the plastic around the joints that put the doors into place (right behind the front wheels).

So, already slightly pissed, I open up Ironhide, and immediately notice that his right elbow is about as loose as a joint can be while still being attached. This one, I knew I was going to return. I played around with him a bit before placing him back in his box, and then noticed that one of the wires inside his chest was melted! At this point, I was just f$&@ing done. So, has anyone else had such rotten luck with bad QC? Oh, and would you return Ratchet? I've really been wanting him, and every other one there had horrible paint apps on their heads, so I really don't want to get one that has those problems and might have these problems as well.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I wouldn't return either, I'd fix them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Doesn't wear nightcaps

I would definately return them both. You paid good money for them!!

I would also add that I definately tell them at the store that they have problems, so that way nobody else gets stuck with them.

4. Facemeat

Well, I was thinking about doing that with Ratchet, but there's no way I'm messing around with bad electronics, so Ironhide's going back for sure. Ratchet...well, I've got 90 days, so I guess I'll wait to see if they ever get another shipment of them.

5. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    in Hasbros slight defense, that Rachet mold is 5 years old now and is beginning to show signs of age, panels dont line up in car mode, loose joints etc, thats Targets fault technically because they picked him for a retail exclusive. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a new Rachet very soon since there's no mass release version and I seriously doubt Hasbro would use this mold AGAIN. As to Ironhide...my first had a few loose joints, nothing the screwdriver didnt fix.

6. Facemeat

So, would it be safe to say that even if I got another Ratchet, it would most likely have similar problems?

7. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    absolutely, that figures toast as far as im concerned, which is a shame because they finally got him in the right color green. If you really like it then get a rotf one and parts swap the robot arms, leaving the forearms and shoulders dotm. :( 

8. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I think more people should be more willing to fix things, rather than necessarily take things back. Not for ALL cases for sure...sometimes your best bet is a return...but for stuff like this? Take out the files, the dremel, make stuff flush, putty if you have to, do some some touch up painting if you gotta...and bam, done.

It's VERY satisfying when you've got something finished...at least for me. I've had model kits where there's been some QC issue in that some parts don't sit flush or are mis-molded...then I just fly into work to get it right. I love this kind of fix work...really allows me to exercise my creativity and thinking when going into a fix. I understand that not all collectors have a modelling background, but I'd say try it sometime!

9. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a black HftD ratchet that had those problems, luckily it was the same week they announced the Target one so I just returned him. My Target one is perfect. I'd say exchange him once, but you'll probly be ok.

10. geneticfusion

geneticfusion Well-Known Member

I just got HA Roadbuster, and damn does this thing have QC issues.

First, his legs are super loose, he stands fine, but if I lift him up and tilt him ever so slightly.....they move.

One of his arms is also really loose.

The little gimmick with his sunglasses doesn't work, you have to actually push down on his head for it to close, I had the same problem with HA Jazz.

I love the figure, better than the Deluxe, but...poor Roadbuster. =(

11. Steve2477

Steve2477 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had the same problem with a boxed Voyager ROTF Ratchet that i bought off Ebay, upper arms came off but slotted back in place. Its the same mold, so its a common problem then.

12. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    seems like more than half the figures I buy these days have a ton of qc problems. Most recently I picked up HA Roadbuster and his knees and the door pieces that fold up onto his arms swung loosely, dude couldn't stand at all. I've had other figure being broken out of package.

I've gotten to the point where if its a real annoyance I return it, because I'm just not going to deal with it.

13. Facemeat

What about stress marks where I mentioned them? That's what I'm really concerned about on this figure...

14. JBStuka

JBStuka Well-Known Member

I just came home with Leader Ironhide... Love this guy... but dear god the QC!!!! His hips are so loose he keeps falling over. And I am usually a fix-it guy... But in this case.. the screws can't go any tighter. I am really really disappointed. :(  I am seriously debating returning him and hoping to eventually just find a new one. But if I had a fried wire, I wouldn't even debate it. Instant return.

15. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    I had some QC problems with my Generations Wheeljack (Right Wing wouldn't stay on), Ended up returning him to hasbro (I bought him via HTS). Big mistake. I ended up getting a Cybertronain Bumblebee in return..... :( 

16. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I had the same problems with Voyager Ratchet. I just exchanged him yesterday. Didn't get a chance to check the new one yet, but judging by how yours was, I'm not really hopeful.

I've been having wicked QC problems with almost every DotM toy I've bought so far. I've exchanged 5 of the 6 that I've gotten. It's pissing me off!

17. Facemeat

Let me know how it goes with Ratchet -- I suppose I'll just keep him if this is a really widespread problem. Besides, I really don't have high expectations for the QC of the other ones, when the paint apps are as abysmal as they are. It really sucks, too, because I'm shocked at how awesome he looks, for a TFTM mold.

18. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I've only had QC problems with two figures; ROTF Scalpel, though pretty much all of them had issues, I just left him in microscope mode and DOTM Leader Bumblebee. His leg snapped right above his knee, but a little sanding and glue fixed it. But yeah, I'd take both back, stress marks and a toast wire is crap

19. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    Probably going to open him right after I'm off here, so yeah, I'll let you know.

He really doesn't look bad though, even though I hate that mold for the most part. If he had transparent windows, and some more paint apps, I'd like him a lot better though. However, I guess I really can't complain, since I got him for $8.50...

20. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

DOTM Jolt: Left knee is loose, but can still support his weight.

DOTM Bumblebee: Left thigh panel doesn't sit flush in car mode.

DOTM Topspin: Unnoticeable mold defect on the right weapon pod.

DOTM Sideswipe: Perfect, what I thought was a mold defect was really me mistranforming him.