Bad IDW Star Trek art

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Fit For natalie, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
  2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Like anything else in Star Trek. You don't like what we did before, we will just make something else up.

3. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Of course, Paramount shares the blame for not caring enough about their licensed comics to go "hey, that doesn't look right". I'm sure Hasbro would be screaming at IDW if they drew something *this* wrong in Transformers or GI Joe.

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I wouldn't classify the art as "bad", just inaccurate. It leads me to believe that whoever's drawing the comic has never seen the show, or else he'd be familiar with the layout of the runabout and know it wasn't right.

Then again, maybe it's a new class of runabout. Who knows?

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I can't comment on the Star Trek comic circulation nationwide, but I will say that a total of 2 people read the comic that have regular files at my local shop. This is a shop with at least 75 regular file customers on top of walk in customers.

That low of demand is going to affect the talent they bring in.

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would color that comic. I would color any comic though as long as it paid. Would that make me less talented though?

Also that looks like the smallest staircase in the world. I think it fits in pretty well. Most comic artists take layouts seriously. And this kind of thing is something laid out not only in the artist's mind but in the writers explanation of the comic page (and would have to pass by the editor).

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Not at all.

But if someone was getting paid X to color comics and then someone says, hey, I want you to color my comic, but I'm going to pay you one tenth of X, would they still do it? I would think they wouldn't, unless it was some kind of labor of love.

But that still doesn't answer your question.

I am equating Better Talent = Better (More Popular) Book = Better Pay.

8. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    That staircase doesn't fit Starfleet design style at all. Actually, it looks like the spiral staircases on the Promenade on Deep Space Nine.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    *raises hand*

thatd be me lol

man itd be nice if it worked that way. i've seen some terrible art come from the big two [for instance] and i know for a fact they get paid like triple or more than i do. its pretty ridiculous

such is the way of things

OT though, im sure the guy drawing this just didnt really bother to care enough to look up the layout of the ships interior and all that. maybe he's not that huge of a fan? and doesnt really know better and is just drawing it to make a pay check? or maybe he was on a deadline crunch and didnt really have the opportunity to look up proper reference and had to just do something on the fly?

there could be all sorts of reasons but i guess it doesnt really matter. not likely he's gonna go back and re-draw it

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Maybe the script specifically called for a spiral staircase.

11. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

It does look like that. The whole decompressed storytelling comes to mind and something like that most certainly comes from (over)scripting.

I'm no ST fan and even I looked at the ship and went, there's no way they'd fit a spiral staircase in THAT. I don't think its that big a deal but considering the depth of ST resource material it does seem this was something the editor should've caught.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I would've thought it would be a little open lift platform for going between two levels, like for the double level engine room in Voyager.

Maybe the guy just fancied a spiral staircase in his ship and installed it himself.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The issue is though that a runabout is only one deck/level. No need for stairs.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Perhaps he was going up to open the skylight. :p