Bad fan behavior

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Greyley, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I had a great time at Botcon, but one of the black marks for me was some of the fan behavior I saw in the audience and in the guest Q&A sessions. Some of the embarrassing things I remember:

-A girl who asked Kevin Michael Richardson to wear a stupid soda hat because of an inside joke among her friends.

-Multiple people who asked guests, especially Gregg Berger, to sing Happy Birthday or otherwise give a message to some random friend of theirs. One of these people didn't have her camera ready, and made Gregg do it TWICE.

-A guy who made hateful comments about Michael Bay in front of the Prime panel.

-Another guy was rude to the Hasbro panel because of unreleased Animated toys.

-A guy who claimed to have his own animation studio and tried to get the voice actors to work for him. Despite saying that he didn't want to sound creepy, telling the VAs "I have your files" was creepy and stalkerish.

-People booing Michael Bay at the HOF (luckily they were FAR outnumbered by the polite people who did applaud, but it was still rude).

It embarrasses me as a Transformer fan when I see people behaving rudely in front of guests. One of the things I like about conventions is that it gives TPTB the chance to see that the internet isn't always a true representation of the fandom, and that most fans are fairly normal, well-behaved people. So when fans do things like this in public, I find it depressing.

Q&A with the guests is not the time to beg for work, or vent fanboyish anger, or force actors to make jokes that only you and your friends understand. We're lucky to have guests who take the time to come to the con and interact with the fans, and I'm always afraid that this kind of behavior will make them not want to come back.

Luckily, MOST of the questions asked were good ones, but there were enough bad ones to make parts of the Q&A uncomfortable.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its like that at every botcon im sure. This was my 4th one and it just gets worse.
    Nerdsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    Oh i noticed at this botcon that most of the fangirls looked like a ostrich on crack...:/ just sayin.

3. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually surprised I didn't see anything too crazy this year (minus the interactions at the bar). Everything seemed pretty tame to me.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

Not clapping is one thing. But that.......

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I can fully understand why people would boo him but people should be proper. Instead I decided not to pay the overinflated price. I talked to several people who went and NONE were happy with the HOF ceremony. In general everyone felt ripped off.... Not trying to hi-jack this thread but mostly curious if anyone else felt that way.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    How was the smell this year? People finally figure out they need to wash their ass?

7. megamus

News Credits:
    NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER........
    Every year I cannot understand how people can walk around smelling like cat urine...... I don't think we will ever have an odor friendly convention.

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep hearing complaints about this. I'm not trying to be funny or stupid here, this is a genuine question...

Is it really that bad? o_O 

9. megamus

News Credits:
    To put it bluntly, yes. I actually left a line because of it. Seriously!

10. transformers32

News Credits:
    I washed my ass yo.... Last year in the peter cullen line the guy behind me smelled liked death took a crap on him...:/

11. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    That's....disgusting. I had heard horror stories, but I thought some of those were for comedic effect.

Hearing this now...yikes. That's ridiculous and pathetic. I don't care if you funk up your house, people, but when you're out in public, get a shower. At least take it from Funkcon 1 down to Funkcon 5.

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only noticed one shower-dodger this year, unfortunately he was sitting behind me during Saturday's Hasbro panel.

13. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I was having a great time in one panel until some dude moved to a seat behind me. It literally smelled like shit. Besides that, it isn't too bad. The occasional BO is fine... but the worst offenders are surprisingly girls. Just cause you ladies have boobs and boobs... it doesn't mean that you can mask the musk with some perfume.

14. Darkov

Darkov Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    HAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!! I totally agree here. The smell wasn't so bad on Friday night...but man Sunday..after not showering for the whole con. There was some FUNK going around the dealer room.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    You're forgetting that more than half of the people at these things have absolutely no social skills whatsoever.

In fact, it's probably the one time in the year that they actually interact with other human beings.

They don't realize that good hygiene and good manners are usually required once you leave the house and be in a public setting.

Each time I go to a Botcon the TF fan in me dies a little more.

I am almost at a point where I am ashamed of myself that I share a hobby with people who can't seem to realize that these conventions aren't their mother's basements. That their bad hygiene and bad manners actually OFFEND people.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Unfortunately this is a side effect of Transformers fandom becoming so large and skewing younger in recent years.

17. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget the people who are insufferable know-it alls, with situations like this:

Random person: Who did that guy play?

Person in front of them: That's Gregg Berger. He voiced Grimlock, Duuuh!

Personally, I got a little tired of people delivering running commentaries to the comments/news in the panels: "Yeah, right." "No way!" "Erector-Beaver!" "Not funny!"

18. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    :puke: 

19. transformers32

News Credits:
    This is soooo true. I mean i love to talk transformers with people who appreciate the fandom. But i hate when other people butt in and try to come off knowing more than everyone on transformers. I mean nerds trying to outdo other nerds??? :/

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll admit I've done a little of this sort of thing in the past. I was trying to help out a friend who was collecting clips of convention people and celebrities saying "I am Spartacus" for a video, so at Botcon 2000 in the autograph line I asked Alec Willows (AKA Tarantulus) to say the line for the camera. He was a good sport and did so, but was also too fast on the draw for my camera, so I had to ask him to repeat. It was a stupid and embarrassing experience for me and I'd think for Alec as well. After the con, when I next saw my friend I showed off the video I got, and got a "unh - not very good quality" with no other acknowledgment of the effort I went to solely for his pet project. Not surprisingly, I decided to never do that kind of thing again, and have been much better behaved at further conventions.

I recall, I think also at BC 2000, the Hasbro panel had one guy who used his 'question' to go on an apparently pre-prepared rant and spew his disdain for Beast Machines, using nice words like "vomitous" (I think he was later referred to as 'the vomitous guy' in reports). He was drowned out by increasing booing as it became more apparent he wasn't shutting up anytime soon.

I'm just glad that my convention experiences (Transformers and otherwise) have been mostly benign, and that the percentage of people who act like hyperopinionated, "I don't care, I'll say it right to their face!" dicks online compared to those who actually live out their internet persona is very, very, very low.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011