Bad Designs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutobotAvalanche, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

If there's one thing this design needs, it's more spikes.

Like this guy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    A lot of the RID designs look kinda bland. Sideswipe is the biggest offender. He looks like something I drew from memory - and believe me, I am a shitty artist from memory. I'm also not a fan of how half of the cast has the same chest visor thing that Shockwave had.

As for the movies, TF1 Megs was easily my least favorite Decepticon. I wish they had given Que a more legible face, too.

Prime Optimus is awful too. Nothing stands out about him, he's just a watered down version of the movies with a bit of the Animated proportions. Nothing original about him, and it didn't help that they forced dear Peter Cullen to be bland and dry while voicing him.

3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Alpha Trion with that stupid beard and glasses
    G1 Orion Pax
    Rattrap with the stupid buck teeth in bot mode
    Bulkhead
    Armada Scavenger
    Chromedome
    Signal Flare
    Mainframe
    Movie Ironhide
    Movie Drift
    QUE
    RID Drift
    Windblade
    Wreck Gar
    Movie Frenzy
    Movie Hot Rod
    G1 Optimus Prime's toy with the creepy non heroic yellow eyes
    Prime Megatron with the skeletal face
    Prime Starscream
    Kup
    G1 cartoon Dead End
    G1 toy Swindle
    G1 Sky fall
    Chug Skullgrin
    Rotf Voyager Bludgeon
    IDW Pretenders
    Prime Brakedown
    Animated Huffer
    Tarantulas
    Beast Machines Vehicons
    Nightscreen
    Bisk
    Black Arachnia
    G1 Seeker toy face
    Animated Lockdown
    G1 Arcee
    Animated Blitzwing
    G1 Broadside toy

Any TF with a beard bar Scourge and Sentinel Prime
    Face plates
    Any TF with an animal head on a humanoid body

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Maaaaybe it's better to ask what you DO like about the Transformers rather than what you don't? LOL!

5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

True but I'm finding less to like about the franchise lately.

6. The Dutch Cybertronian

The Dutch Cybertronian Derp

The Bayformers Decepticons and some of the Autobots

7. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    Man I thought I'd find more to dislike. I used to not like alot, but as I've grown older I've come to appreciate the stylings and feels of the more odd lines. I used to hate animated, but now I think it's honestly one of the best looking series' just for being different. And even Energon Optimus and the bayformers have their charms.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Anything from Animated and I'm not overly fond of most of the movie designs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of the Beast Machines designs I didn't care for. The only ones I liked were the vehicons, Cheetor, Rattrap and Blackarachnia. The others I didn't care for. I didn't care for Optimus Primal's transmetal form either.

Movie wise. I'm not too fond of most of the bay verse designs. There are a few that are cool like Bumblebee, the ones with Beast modes and such.

Toy wise. There's a huge list. even figures I like, I wish could have been designed differently, for example Transmetal 2 Cheetor. I love the fig but I could have gone without the Hunchback look. It doesn't fit Cheetor

10. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I could easily say most of Beast Machines. But the one design I didn't like the most was BM Optimus Primal. His Technoranic Ape mode was fine. What I didn't like is his robot mode was such a huge departure from what people expect an Optimus should look like that fans unfamiliar with BM probably wouldn't think of him as Optimus.

I'm not saying he should look exactly like the typical Optimus design but a few little hints would have been nice. Today, the retractable faceplate has become the norm, but for BM, how about they give him a battle helmet that when in place it has the face plate and the side antenna or maybe a subtle pseudo-truck style front end on his chest but done up in a technorganic style and say it resulted when his spark was merged with Prime's in BW The Agenda.

11. comicfan17blue

comicfan17blue Well-Known Member

CW Menasor- Looks very disproportionate in combiner mode- all legs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    NuRids designs either look derpy (crab guy and lobster man, for example) or stupid.

13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Beast Machines' Maximals are all pretty unappealing, but Cheetor takes the cake. His "robot" mode face looks like a were-cheetah, the points in his shoulders look incredibly painful, and worst of all, those thin, spindly legs. My God, every time I see him jumping and landing on this skinny, fragile-looking legs, I can practically hear them breaking! Eugh! It's just painful to look at.

Sunbow G1's Orion Pax was pretty generic looking, and he had weird lips. He was supposed to be Optimus Prime?

Skids and Mudflap from Revenge of the Fallen. Normally, I love the movie designs. Movie Bumblebee is the best design the character's had, in my opinion, I like their versions of Optimus, Ironhide, Ratchet, the Dinobots, Shockwave, Megatron, and heck, I even like the vulture-looking Starscream and lumbering, ape-like Devastator (wrecking balls aside). However, Skids and Mudflap just come across as such obvious racist caricatures to me, and even ignoring any racial insensitivity going into their personalities or designs, they're just plain ugly to look at.
    I can't say I'm that fond of Viking Optimus Prime either. The design from the first three movies was fine, and yet they still felt the need to make him into a viking-like design with almost nothing from his vehicle mode going into his robot form.

Powerlinx Hot Shot from Transformers Armada. The Hot Rod rip-off is complete...

14. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is the worst thing any Transformer can do.

• Like Like x 2
  15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Aesthetics are highly subjective. Doesn't necessarily make it a bad design.

However some of the things which makes a bad design include :
    - Anything that makes it difficult for toy engineering to such an extent that they have to compromise at least 1 mode. Hasbro has mastered the art of making good transformations out of the movie CGi designs up until AoE when transformations turned into transmorphing and robotmodes so incredibly organic, that even the best toy engineering can only make the worst kind of shell former out of it.

- Any design which makes either the altmode or robot mode completey out of scale with itself. G1 Broadside is such an offender.

- Any design which forces the toy robot mode, to offset joint pivot placement to such a degree that proportions look OK when posed straight standing, but OFF when in dynamic pose. A good example would be a robot design with big knee pads, resulting in super high knee joint placement...basically resulting into a super short upper leg and a super long shin leg.

• Like Like x 2