Bad day for space travel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
  2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    How the hell are they ever going to put colonies on mars now??

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Considering the hassle those tripods caused in the early 1900s, we should leave Mars the hell alone.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Holy... and all in 1 day?!

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    How come we were able to send Joe Schmoe on the moon in the '60s with zero technology and that we know struggle to lift an astronaut 10 feet in the air without killing him?

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I...but...

Jeez. Goddammit, I want to work for NASA really badly - I always have - but if this is the general work environment that the organization has devolved into, then I'll stay where I am.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sometimes, simple is better. The more systems you have, the more likely it is that one will fail.

8. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I think today's manned space program accepts far less risk today than it did back in the politically driven moon-race era. Then, the goal was to beat the Soviets to the moon, and if they lost a few people, or spent a whole lot of money, that was acceptable. The fact that only three Americans were killed in a spacecraft before the shuttle era is due mainly, I think, to the skill of the people involved, and to luck. Now, without any sort of political competition, the drive is to bring people back alive. The skill is still there, the knowledge base and technology are greatly advanced, but the willingness to sacrifice lives, and money, has vanished. It's not that it's necessarily any more difficult, but the risk seems to be better publicized. But that's my opinion. I'm sure people forgot just how dangerous it was to go to the moon after Neil, Mike and Buzz made it back.

Don't forget that, from the start of Mercury to the time Apollo ended, NASA had flown 31 manned space missions, using new equipment every time. The shuttle program doubled that in eight years (including the Challenger gap), using reusable craft with a large crew, and they've since flown over 100 missions.