Bad cartoons, really big bucks

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Wingwolf77, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Interesting article in Canada's Maclean's Magazine

Myself I always thought the voice acting was quite good in 80's cartoons

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I have no comment on that text, because having a comment is more than the writer deserves.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, what a dickhead writer.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sounds about right to me, althougth I did leave my rose tinted nostalgia goggles in the bin several years ago.

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You don't have to have rose tinted goggles, glasses, anything, to see that this writer's a dick.

Apparently he missed the memo where it said "Just because you grow up, doesn't mean you have to grow out of it. Oh, and don't be a dick. Not even a small one, that has to be overcompensated for."

'80s cartoons weren't perfect, neither are their film adaptations, but no one ever claimed they'd be perfect. Especially not the writers or directors. When you think about it, there's only so much you can do with the property handed to you.

How do you take giant alien robots, or a bondage and loin cloth guy with a magical sword, or little blue people living in mushrooms and make any of it legitimate enough to hit the big screen?

It's a tall order, and obviously someone thought these folks were doin' just fine, otherwise there wouldn't be a bankroll for these productions.

This guy needs to pull his head out of his ass and enjoy life.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I still don't see the problem. The dude may have a negative opinion on the subject, but he is making valid points and has gone to the effort of representing the other side of the argument as well.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Oh no. People of my generation are more interested in their own childhood shows than their parents'. What a catastrophe.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    GI Joe and Transformers = Awful cartoons?

Has this moron seen drek like He-Man? I tried watching one of the old episodes a few years ago and it was boring as hell. Same action shots repeated over different backgrounds, flat acting most of the time.

What about Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Rubik's Cube, etc. THOSE are god awful. GI Joe and Transformers were great stories, great acting, very well animated, and memorable.

Guy is a moron and dosen't deserve any more of our time.

9. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He actually mentions He Man in the article. As well as

Again, from the article.

He didn't mention Pac-Man and Donkey Kong because those aren't being made into movies (yet.) And the article was about movies being based on the cartoons. I got this information from reading the article.

But hey, guy's a moron and a dick for mentioning that they were half hour toy commercials. He should get cancer then be eaten by Ebert, who then chokes on him and dies.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Well, there are some god-awful cartoons from back then that I'm sure no-one is talking about (or considering making a movie of). Some things endure because they have an extra appeal which maks them do so. Same with movies. Some stick around and others drop off the face of the planet with barely a blip. Considering some of the utter crap that makes it into cinemas these days, dipping into the creaky old cartoons of the 80s, no matter how poor they may sometimes be, is often a huge step up in idea quality over what present day writers come up with.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

1. No, unless your a fan of hack kneed plagarism
    2. Definately not, quality performers, but the horrible stories and shit directing ruin their performances
    3. Transformers season 3, GTFO
    4. They are aren't they.

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Ok, he hates the 80's. How were these shows "badly animated"? I just saw the Smurfs on Boomerang recently, and I was surprised by how good it looks. I may not care for the show now as a grown up but the animation still looks good.

G.I. Joe and Transformers, I love that Sunbow animation. I'm sure if they were still around, they could make both of those look so much better.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Has this guy seen Spongebob? That has to be the most god awful cartoon ever made, and it's been going on for years. I don't understand why!!!!!!!!

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Guess the only thing I would argue is his charges of poor voice acting as toons like Joe and Transformers wile they do have their faults poor voice acting is not one of them.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:

1. Oh yes, I remember seeing some of those stories in episodes of the Smurfs, Care Bares, and Jem.
    2. The acting is so terrible Welker, Cullen, Bell etc, were never heard from ever again.
    3. No, you GTFO - At least it has no crappy cg, cell shading and chins.
    4. Yes.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

WELKER and CULLEN were never heard from again? Really? Frank Welker and Peter Cullen were never heard from again? I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, just want to check we're on the same page.

I'm not really sure what the point of the article is. The bitching about WB ending sales of Looney Tunes DVDs is odd. Those cartoons are fifty years old. I'm not that surprised that kids today aren't interested. And let's be honest, for every real classic Duck Dodgers one, you'd get many more pieces of forgettable drivel. Don't even get me started on Disney. It just seems like an old man rant. "Bloody kids! In my day, cartoons were all about anthropromorphic animals, and Mel Blanc did all the voices! I don't understand all these Transmans and He-Bots. Get off my lawn! Aren't these new five pees fiddly? Nurse, I've wet myself again!"

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking of turning toons into movies...
    Space Jam.
    now that is a criminal offense. taking classic, Oscar winning toon characters and slapping them on film with athletes who can't act their way out of a speeding ticket.

so, taking a mediocre 'toon and revamping it into a decent to even great blockbuster film is bad? when we get shit like House of Wax, i'd rather take rehashed toons.

For the record, 2 Garfield features and that Underdog movie...they cured my constipation.
    they were that shitty, lol.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been watching GI Joe episodes all day and they've been great. Sure some are a little silly, but they are a lot of fun..

This guy needs to watch a fantastic episode like No Place Like Springfield and then try to say it is stupid. That is a fantastic episode.

Basically Shipwreck is knocked out and when he wakes up several years have passed. He has a wife, a Cobra woman named Mara from a previous episode, and kid. He remembers nothing about all of it. He is told they beat Cobra years ago. Soon his friends start melting like candles. He freaks out. Turns out he's been captured by Cobra and they are trying to get secrets from him. In the end Shipwreck loses his wife and kid. They aren't real, but the emotional pain is still there.

A FANTASTIC two parter. Heck even some of the goofy plots like Cold Slither are a lot of fun. Cobra is bankrupt so the make the Dreadknocks into a metal band and use subliminal messaging to brainwash people.

19. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I read the article. Here's my democratic response:

[​IMG]

This guy appears to be not only be under the delusion that the 1980s had a monopoly on badly drawn cartoons but that art quality and voice acting are the only factors in labeling something a classic. Also, his ignorance and lack of knowledge about the subject matter of his article are truly mindboggling.

The Flintstones and The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show - which ran from 1960 to 1966 and from 1959 to 1964, respectively, and overlap with the tail end of the Looney Tunes series of cartoons (1930 to 1969) - are widely considered classics today, but were poorly animated by modern standards with minimal character movements and rife with recycled stock footage. How convenient that his article completely glosses over the existence of these shows and others like them, as if there were no cartoons produced in the gap between the 60s and the 80s.

It's true that Ren and Stimpy ran for 52 episodes while G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero ran for 95 episodes, The Transformers for 98, and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe for 130 episodes. However, there were several hundred Warner Bros. and Disney cartoon shorts made during the classic cartoon period he's speaking of. The reason we don't see most of them anymore is because they've either been lost or have been pulled out of circulation because of politically incorrect content. Try airing a Speedy Gonzales cartoon today and I'd be damn surprised if someone somewhere in the U.S. doesn't call in to complain about negative Hispanic stereotypes.

Also, where does that leave more modern Disney cartoons such as Duck Tales (100 episodes) or Darkwing Duck (96 episodes)?

And as for quality: all the classic cartoons the author was referring to were originally made for theatrical release while the 80s cartoons were straight-to-television. That's like saying The X-Files television series sucked because it didn't have the budget or production values of Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

wait theres gonna be a smurfs movie that can only end bad.