Backing Up iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Poho, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I currently use a Dell PC, but it's starting to get really slow and infected with adware and spyware, so I've decided it's time to upgrade. I'm going to buy a MacBook. I know that that majority of my important files can be transferred over to the Mac, and a lot of the software that I use can be re-downloaded and registered with the same codes that I've purchased
    (or re-pirated)

What I'm really worried about is my massive itunes library that is about 60% my own CDs, 35% CDs I've borrowed from people, and 5% downloads. Also, a good solid chunk of it was actually imported into iTunes from Windows Media Player. I'm concerned that if I back up my library onto a flash drive and transfer it to the Mac, the things that were imported from WMP will not copy.

About a year ago I tried to copy some of the library onto CDs for my girlfriend, but all of the items that had been imported from WMP didn't work.
    Will the same thing happen if I back up the entire library and move it to another computer? If so it's going to be a world of trouble.

2. Cheez Doodle23

Cheez Doodle23 Plastic Crack Club Member

News Credits:
    I have a 30GB iPod video and I use iTunes on my Dell Laptop. I have an external HD that I have my iTunes library backed up to. I've had to use it to restore my library after I reinstalled the OS. Just copy the itunes library folder, it should be the folder labeled simply itunes within the music folder of windows. Typically under C:\Windows\Documents and Settings\(your username)\My Documents\My Music. Or just go to Start>My Music. copying the entire folder will also copy the file(s) iTunes uses to organize your music. When you copy all the files to the Mac everything should go back the way it was. Just copy the iTunes folder to the new location on the mac making sure to overwrite the old file on the Mac. If that doesn't work, you could also have Itunes import the Itunes folder from the old Dell PC once you have Itunes installed on the new Mac by going to File>Add Folder to Library and then selecting the correct folder.

I recommend keeping a backup copy of all your music stored on an external HD that way if anything happens to your computer those files are safe. I hope this info helps.

Also, iTunes can be configured to rip or convert already ripped files from one format to another, you can just change your settings in itunes to convert songs to mp3 or what ever format you like to use. Personally I use VBR or Variable Bit Rate. It makes to song the best quality and helps to keep the file size down. Then to convert the song(s) you just right-click it and choose the create MP3 version. this should help with the WMA files not working correctly. plus I think using the VBR setting in iTunes will help keep your files small but maintain quality audio.

3. Poho

News Credits:
    cool.

i know that iTunes has a "Backup iTunes Library" function. can i just do that, back it up onto an external HD and then just import it to iTunes on my macbook?

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    When I had to back up mine I just moved the whole music folder to my external drive then imported into my iTunes library on the new computer.

You should even be able to back up wmp files. If it's in iTunes for the most part you should be able to back it up.

5. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    The problem (or one of them, I assume) is the he's going from Dell (Windows presumably) to Mac. You could always use something like YamiPod or iCopyTouch to back up all of your music off of the iPod itself (depending on how much of it is on there as opposed to just in the library). Sometimes tags get a bit off, but it works pretty well. Then burn them to a DVD or something (or save to USB drive) for transfer.

6. Poho

News Credits:
    tell me more about this yamipod and how it works.

7. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
  8. Poho

News Credits:
    can i transfer all of the songs from Yamipod into iTunes?

i've also tried downloading "TouchCopy", but only the trial version, which has a 100 song transfer cap. I can't find ANY cracks that work for it on a Mac.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Cant you just copy the saved music files, place said copied files to a flash drive and move them to the new PC or do itune tracks have a format the prevents copied files?

10. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    shoot dude, I'm sorry. i used the WinXP version and you can just reset the counter... :-\ No idea about YamiPod, as I never used it, only TouchCopy.

If they're purchased, you have to deal with the license tags, which are a significant hassle...

11. Poho

News Credits:
    Senuti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what about this program? it seems legit, but it doesn't specify whether or not it can transfer the music into iTunes. you'd think it wouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't say.

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I think you can use that program to add them to your itunes as well. Take a look.

Linky!
    Senuti - QuickStart

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You will have to authorize the new computer on itunes though.

Sentui works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  15. Poho

News Credits:
  16. Poho

News Credits:
    successfully copied everything off my ipod directly into itunes through the program Senuti. the trial version of the program would only let me do 1000 songs, though, so i had to
    pirate the full version
    , which was a huge pain in the ass. but totally worth it. only problem is that it only copied about half of my album artwork. not sure what's up with that. oh well, easy problem to fix. thanks for the help, lads.