Background on how Transformers are designed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Every time I transform one of my 'bots, even a Legend, I marvel at the amount of engineering and design that was utilized. I've always wondered how the process works. In other words, is a character created first, i.e., drawn/designed, and then Hasbro/Takara's designers figure out the necessary engineering for transformation?

Does anyone have experience of how this works or know of any sites or books that get into this behind-the-scenes aspect of TFs?

-Prime

2. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

It looks like the cartoons are made from the toys...you know what! Ive always wondered this too

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well for that, all you need to do is ask over at Orson's Wor--oh. Damn. Nevermind.

Back when Aaron Archer has his own subforum here, I believe he described things in generally the order you're supposing. He described some cooperation between Hasbro and Takara on design cleanup and engineering, not just a straight up hand-off from one group to the other. He also said that the vehicle or beast mode was always the starting point, and the robot is figured out from that. There may be some exceptions since then, I think.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

With the exception of theatrical movies, yes, the toys are always designed first. Some cases where the designs haven't matched the toys have been because the show designs were based on prototypes or unfinished design drawings.