Customs: Background ideas for double detolf

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Snaku, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I did the detolf mod where I cut two of them and made them into a single curio approx 30" by 60". It's pretty cool but I don't like how it looks with the wall behind it showing through. I've been considering doing a painting to fill the space and found that 30x60 canvas can be had for not too much money and I'm a fairly decent painter so I think I can whip something up. I wanna' go for kind of the old cartoon style and I've been looking at backgrounds people have posted from it as well as the '86 movie and scenery from the Transformers Devastation video game (since it was heavily influenced by the cartoon itself). I'm having trouble coming up with something I like, though and wondered what some of you think.

Here was my first idea. This is an extremely rough pre-vis cobbled together from screenshots of the show and game in about 15 minutes just to see if my idea might have some aesthetic potential before I start doing some sketches. Obviously the space portion would be less busy with the pewpews and explosions and wouldn't look like I sloppily content-awared a bunch of insecticons out of it :p  but I like the idea of the space battle and explosions homaging the old back of the box space battle art from the '80s. I'd also do a smoother sky to space transistion.

PreVis.jpg

I'm just not sure I'm sold on this idea at all though. It's basically just a bunch of sky with some mountains down at the bottom and it just seems kind of boring in the middle. I mean I guess I don't want it to be too busy and detailed: I do have to paint it on a very large canvas, after all and I wouldn't want to be at it forever, and I don't want it to distract too much from the figures in the case.

I dunno'. What do you guys think? What would make the above image look better or is it not that great an idea at all? If you were gonna' do a big background for MP display shelves, what would you do with it?

2. marvel b

marvel b beard, blood red, banjo, bot, buddy.

News Credits:
    i would love to have that for a display!!!!! i say go with it!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

You know, it's amazing how much a little encouragement helps. I'm liking it better and better now. I guess that's what I needed. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1