Back to th Future fans: are these any good?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by SPLIT LIP, Sep 19, 2010.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I noticed these 7-inch long Die-cast models of the Back to the Future time machine in it's various stages on BBTS, and I wondered if they were any good? I've been looking for some smaller-scaled versions of the machine for display in it's different stages and these seem to fit the bill. (they certainly look good, from the pics at least) Thanks.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Nobody knows of these?

3. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I don't know about that one, but I've got one of the Welly models, which you can get cheap off of eBay, and it is very nice.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I had the part 2 version once. It was only okay. The detail was nice, but I felt it could have had more to it.
    Do yourself a favor and just go for the the Diamond Select version. It's bigger, has almost the same amount of detail, lights and sounds, and you can fit most of your 3 3/4th figures inside of it. (I've got Deadpool driving and IM2 Nick Fury riding Shotgun in mine).
    It's also only about ten bucks more, which I thought was totally worth it.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I have the Daimond Select BTTF 1 Delorean, and while I like it, it's very toy-y because of the plastic.

I've been looking at the Daimond Select BTTF2 Entertainment Earth exclusive however, and it looks pretty sweet since unlike the Welly version it has the hover conversion. (though it's listed as preorder) They have all versions coming out in that scale, too.

I just want all versions of the machine in at least one scale, would you say the lack of detail is a deal breaker?

I found one site that had reviews of all three versions, and the overall opinion was positive.

6. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I've got the first oneand love it. It was a gift from a friend, so I have no opinion about it being worth the money, but I love it.

7. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Oh no, they have great detail. Better than the Diamond Select.
    While they didn't really do it for me (Just missing some things that I would have liked, and that the DS version had), I'd say go for one at least.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's good to hear.

These are hard things for me to ask opinions, since they'll be almost entirely for dispaly, and no play. (I barely, BARELY buy things for display exclusively, and even then I prefer they DO something)

It's a shame that my favourite "stage" of the Time Machine is undoubtably the 2nd one, and what little opinion I've read on them says the second is the weakest. :( 

9. Hiraga

News Credits:
    If you're looking for a toy that absolutely has to do something interesting, then I'd say pass. The detail is pretty cool, but unless you could modify it to light up, or maybe find some figures to put inside, overall they're kind of boring.
    And I want that Entertainment Earth Delorean too. Hopefully they release more to other online stores, or maybe even retail. I've got the Part 3 version on preorder.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    When I say do something, I mean like have opening doors. I have plenty of model cars. (well, not PLENTY, but a few) I don't expect the first or third to do anything else, that's why I want them. No modification to the design for lights or sound. It's just that the flip down wheels of the Diamond Select version are what tempt me, even though I'd have to get the other, larger and more expensive versions.

11. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Ah, okay. If that's all you're really looking for, then these should do just fine.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I do have one last question, though:

What's with all these Time Machine models coming out this year? Is 2010 some 25th anniversary thing or something? I also saw the trilogy's coming out on Blu-ray and DVD this October. Why's BTTF making a comeback of sorts? (not that I'm complaining at all :)  I love having options)

13. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Yes, the movie was released in 1985, so this year would be the 25th anniversary.

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

There are some really sweet 1/18 scale die-cast models of the Time Machine. Have a look at those. Also, if you like RC cars, Kyosho Mini-Z series has a pretty awesome Autoscale body with the blue lights on the side of the body.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I saw that, the BTTF2 one looks great, but it's really expensive, plus I can't find a good retailer that sells them.

16. Snkbyt

Snkbyt Autobot

I believe BTTF.com sells one in each scale. I have the Sunstar 1:18 pt2 version and its one of my favorite die cast. The smaller options out there sacrifice significant things like windows or switchable wheels along with the detail.

I also have the Diamond select Pt I and II versions, which I like very much.

The 1:18 is screwed down to its base or it would be in the lineup.

Attached Files:

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Okay, I was sold on them up until you said they don't have windows. And looking at the pics on BTTF.net, you're absolutely right.

Damn, and they looked so cool.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    On a different note, what about the Sun Star models? They look pretty sweet, albeit expensive and large. (not as large as the Diamond Selects, though)

19. Snkbyt

Snkbyt Autobot

Someone might know better than I do, but I believe they are actual stainless steel. certainly feels and looks like it to me. Basically, if you have the Diamond Select 1:15th, then imagine that in metal without lights and just a bit smaller.

If you are a fan of the BTTF Delorean then I would recommend you have at least one SunStar version in the garage. My pick would be the Pt 2 version for the flip down wheel feature.

Attached Files:

20. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got one of these a few years ago when they were first released. It's a damn heavy model, from what I can remember (it's in storage at the moment), and really quite cool. It's the BTTF2 version, with the hover conversion. On mine the tyres rub along the wheel arches, due to the hinges to allow the wheels to flip down, but as a display piece it's fantastic. I'm not sure whether it's actually brushed steel or not, but it looks really authentic. I should probably see if I can get the other two.