Back in the day...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Weirdwolf, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Just posting in a thread over in the toys forum got me to thinking about being around in this fandom for so long. And it's not a negative thought, just the feeling of the passage of time.

I mean, I was around to see the birth of Transformers as Transformers. I saw the demise of G1 and the onset of G2. Got back into Transformers around the end of Beast Wars and have been following very closely ever since.

I remember the Trukk not Munky debates on message boards. How a number of people accused Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg of raping their childhoods with Beast Machines much like people talk about Michael Bay and his movies today.

RiD. Robots in Disguise. That was TEN YEARS AGO, people! A full decade. I remember it like it was yesterday, hitting every KayBee Toys in the area looking for Megabolt Megatron. Where has time gone? :( 

I remember eagerly anticipating Armada. Then it hit and I bought the toys only to think... WTF? Anybody up for watching Carnival right now? :lol 

Almost feel like an old man having seen so much in the Transformers brand come and go. Like, we need some sort of "Transformers Veteran" badge on these boards for those of us who've been in it since the beginning! :lol  I've seen so much come and go, sometimes I can't even remember bits and pieces and have to be reminded from time to time. Yet, there's so much I haven't seen in person, too. I've never held a Raiden in my hands. Never seen a real Lucky Draw other than in pictures on the internet.

When I'm driving, it's not uncommon to see bikers, be it on a Harley or on a Suzuki give each other a "thumbs up" as they pass on the road. I kind of feel that kind of kinship, even though we all have our different tastes, with my fellow fans and collectors that have been in it for the long haul. To all those out there who fit this breed of transfan, I encourage you to take a moment and look back at the history of this great brand we follow, and share your thoughts. :) 

2. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Here here. Now I wasn't an avid message board guy a decade ago, but I certainly remember the franchise from Day 1. It was kindergarten. I always feel a kinship with my fellow 30something fans, because we truly understand the old days, and we understand why we have such an important image of how we want Transformers to be represented to us. It was incredibly important to us as children and a big part of our lives. And, still is.

3. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear. TFW2005 Supporter

I wasn't as fortunate to catch the beginning of it all but, I remember the end of G1 pretty vividly. Going to different stores to try and find -masters figures and begging my mom for Roadblock back then. Thank God Hasbro decided to try again with G2. I think I sat in front of the TV every single time an episode aired and had pretty much every Transformer that my little allowance could afford haha. That's when I really got into the Transformers as a way of life instead of just liking it. I was onboard from day one for Beast Wars but, everything since has been lacking that...something that you can never put your finger on but, you know it's important. These days the comics keep my attention mostly and Classics are a Godsend.

I hope a youngin' like me can join your club >.> haha.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Preach it brother. I was born in 1974 so I have been in this since the birth of Transformers as well. "Trukk not Munky" LOL I remember that too. 15 damned years just since Beast Wars now.
    I can't believe I have been into this for 27+ years now! Damn I feel OLD! :D 

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wasnt a message board person until later but i remember g1 vividly, watched some beast wars but alternators brought me back into the toy part of the hobby. Its been a long fun ride.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I remember watching 'More Than Meets the Eye' on TV for the first time in 1984 and saying to my Dad "oh wow they actually made a CARTOON from them!"

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I got into Transformers like 20 Years after it first began. T_T

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I was watching it on tv before I had the toys but got a few here and their for christmas and that sealed the deal for me cause thats when I really got into them. Then when the commerative came out thats when I got back into TF's and havn't looked back since. I always told my brother and myself that I would own the episodes somehow and now I can say that twice since I own the rhino and the TF box set too.

9. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely not as old as many of the members here, however I do remember getting into Beast Wars while it was still on and collecting all the various toys that came out. My collecting habits basically stopped when Beast Machines was just nearing its end. Now I understand that a lot of fans aren't very fond of the organic animal concept that was Beast Wars but for a time, that was all that I was more used to. Another thing that contributed to me giving up the brand was that I was getting older and the passion for collecting deceased (typical teenager behavior and such). After graduating back in 2007 and after seeing the first live action movie I grew more accustomed to the vehicular look and more so the alien aesthetic that was portrayed by the characters, but more importantly I became a fan again. Since then, I slowly began researching every aspect of the Transformers brand (thanks to TFWiki), subscribed to several Youtube channels, and after joining this site back in 2009, I think its safe to say that my interests concerning this hobby won't be leaving me anytime soon. Now I eagerly await more DOTM/Generations toys and eventually the Prime toys will show up on shelves (that Arcee figure is pretty wicked).

10. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Yup, we'd all bring our Transformers to kindergarten. My mom didn't believe me that we were allowed to. I tried to sneak my Hot Rod toy in my back pack, but my mom easily caught me. She eventually did talk to the teacher and I was able to have Hot Rod join my kindergarten's battle with Optimus, Ultra Magnus, and the rest. I also remember that the kid who would bring Optimus, his Optimus's arm was broken.

For Christmas that year, I remember I got Galvatron. And I couldn't wait for my kindergarten graduation, because I knew that I was getting Ultra Magnus. I wanted nothing more in the world than to get my Ultra Magnus. Of course I did end up getting UM for my kindergarden graduation. Still have that original figure. A lot of the small pieces are long gone though.

11. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    us vets have to stick together lol. i remember being a kid and watching g1 and begging my mom for optimus untill she finally went to kmart and bought him . now im in my 30's and still buying and collecting. ive had every series since the 80s. sold alot off as i became a older fan and my taste in figures changed but g1 will always be in my house and heart.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'm 35 years old (well, next month) and I can still recall in freakishly vivid detail where I bought many of my Transformers back in the 80's - my very first one being Thundercracker from a drug store before a dentist appointment. I think many of those memories remain so clear because I didn't just like Transformers when they showed up - I was instantly obsessed with them. They pretty much instantly killed any & all interest I previously had in stuff like Star Wars, He-Man, GI Joe, etc. since they were the ultimate "boys toy" - good & evil warrior robots that transformed into cool shit like fighter jets, sports car, guns, tanks and even dinosaurs. Nothing could beat that. To this day I'm hard pressed to think of any toy that so cleverly & efficiently captured everything a kid could want in a toy line, and the fact that this same toy line also had an iconic kick ass cartoon AND comic series only made everything even cooler. Between the toys, cartoon & comics, Transformers quickly became a 24/7 thing for me. I would even record all the episodes (and when I could catch them, even the commercials) every Saturday morning on VHS & Beta, re-watch them to the point I memorized virtually every line, and pause scenes to teach myself how to draw. When the cartoons eventually started showing up as VHS rentals, I would re-rent them so often that I basically owned them. I even remember my mom going to hell & back to buy me the TFTM, The Return of Optimus Prime, More Than Meets The Eye and Five Faces of Darkness VHS tapes to officially own - something that was not easy or cheap to do back then.

I can't remember exactly when I fell out of Transformers, but it was somewhere into Season 3 of the cartoon and around when stuff like Headmasters, Targetmasters, Pretenders, etc. were sitting on shelves everywhere. I didn't like the spacey after-movie designs much, thought the cartoon started to suck and never even seen the Rebirth finale until many years later, wasn't into the new gimmicks of "masters", and thought the comic series really got lame. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with also just getting older and being a teenager far more interested in music, girls, skateboarding, etc. than toys. I didn't even know G1 officially died until I eventually saw G2 shit clogging shelves in all its neon colored eyesore glory. But I do remember getting the first shiny silver issue of the G2 comic since a buddy of mine opened his own comic store and gave it to me. I picked up G2 Megatron and couple of other figures along the way somewhere, but more for nostalgia than actual interest.

Then years later Beast Wars (or as it was known in Canada, Beasties) showed up. I gave it a shot since the animation was all fancy new CGI, but the show bored me to death and I HATED the fact that these things were now fleshforming wildlife. And the voices - I loathed the voices - especially disco queen sounding Megatron. To this day that voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me. And despite the official stamp, Beast Wars never felt like Transformers to me. They just felt more like some new wannabe toy like Go-Bots or Power Rangers where things happen to transform, but ultimately sucked. And all RID/A/E/C did was embarrass me when I saw episodes on TV. I remember thinking that the brand completely sold out and basically merged with Pokemon, and that it was ALL over for my once beloved franchise.

All that changed years later when G1 got released on DVD, Dreamwave showed up with their killer new G1 based comic series, Masterpiece Prime was unleashed (which I found by pure accident in a Chinese strip mall store in Calgary) along with a couple new Alternators (Hound being the one that instantly caught my eye), the Classics series was announced, and rumors about Michael Bay possibly directing a live action movie started becoming more & more fervent - which at THAT time was huge news since I thought I liked him as a director. All of that combined officially pulled me back into the franchise, and I've been a full time collector again ever since.

I always love these little "memory lane" threads... :) 

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

It's creepy just how close your life is to mine, not suprising though as I'm sure many have taken the same ride. ^_^ With a few exceptions.

I'm four years older than you. So I was 12 in '84. Which I'm some how thankful for. Being a little bit older allowed me to absorb it all a bit more I think.

Transformers also got me drawing (again, sort of, as I use to draw some when I was even younger)... and I started drawing these mini-comics. Folded sheets of line paper, with the holes cut off along the pink line, stappled at the center. I drew them at school and at home, making up stories and even some original characters. When new characters were added in season 2, like you I'd freeze frame a VHS tape and make model sheets to draw from. I was almost as obsessed with making my comics as I was with Transformers (now that I think about it). This practice continued well into high school, but in the last year of me doing them I switched to clean white paper and I didn't stapple them until I was done with all the pages. The very last one I did was in '88 with Power Masters and my drawing skill by then took a huge leap and was actually getting good (comparitivly speaking). Got about 6 pages in before I just stopped.

My interest in Transformers didn't decreace with season 3... in fact I loved that it was changing/growing. I couldn't wait to see where they would go next with each new season. I was in shock, pissed beyond words when there were no eps beyond Rebirth.

With no more Transformers cartoon I was pretty lost. Shortly after though a new friend turned me onto Robotech, which lead me to Japanese Animation in general. From then on I got my fix from japan with shows like Bubblegum Crisis, Project A-Ko, Saint Seiya, and eventually even (oh my god) Transformers Victory. Me and my previously mentioned friend, befriended a couple (in their mid 30s) who were fans of everything... most of all Anime (then japanimation). They had a friend in Japan who they traded vhs tapes with, so they got nearly everything. I requested Transformers Master Force which I had read about in a magazine... but that was over by then, so we got most of Victory instead.

It wasn't until after high school that I lost interest (for the most part) in these sorts of things. Mostly because I was more into socializing, hanging with friends, and girls. I sort of came to the party late. Yet, I still was drawing during these years.

When G2 started I was 21 and dating a stripper. I showed some interest in G2, only so far as I wanted to look at them. I'd had sold all my toys a few years before. Standing there looking at them, my girlfriend wanted to buy Optimus for me..... I remember it so well..... I was slighty tempted.... but I said no. It wasn't that big of a deal, but somehow I felt I'd had reach some mile stone in life with that. I guess that's why I remember it so vividly.

The first I saw anything of Beast Wars was an ad on the back of a figure magazine of the toys.... I groaned. To me it was just WTF? When the CG Cartoon started my life was just begining to suck (family reasons) and maybe that's why it was a little easier to like the show. I took to BW pretty well, it wasn't much like Transformers to me, but it had some of that old feeling. It reminded me just enough of G1 that I kind of got into the show... even bought a few of the toys.

2000 Car Robots is what really got me back into Transformers. Well, not really; as I was almost obsessed with the idea of getting some old G1 figures.... and while looking around the internet I found what was dubbed "Transformers 2000" figures displayed at some japan toy show.... holy shit my head exploded. I know it's crazy, but it felt like I was drawn to it.

After that came Armada, and I was really into that as well. Sure the cartoon had so much wrong with it... but I still loved having a real TF cartoon more or less made for the US.

It was the years of Energon and Cyberton that kind of lost me. I was still collecting all the toys by habit... but I was mostly bored with the whole thing. I'd be excited when the new series started, only to realize that I was bored a few episodes in. To me, there just wasn't much to like about either series. Honestly it was stuff like MP Convoy and Binaltech that really kept me interested during this time.

Loved the first movie.... and had a ball collecting the toys. I was the first time in while that I actually enjoyed Transformers again. Then came Animated and what I felt for the movie doubled. It was almost the same feeling I had during G1, but different... more the fun part rather than the obsession. After Animated though... I knew what I wanted from Transformers.... and if what ever was going on didn't at least near my interest in Animated I wasn't going to bother with it (collecting at least).

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I'll be (holy crap!) FORTY ONE this year!

I remember getting into Japanese anime and Shogun Wariors (Raydeen FTW), Micronauts, Diaclone. in the seventies!

I was 14 when Transformers came out, so I was old enough to enjoy them completely.

I've seen a bunch of Transformers stuff, loved that I have lived to see it all first hand, also very happy to see our favorite toyline prosper in an age when we are old enough to enjoy the engineering of the toys and the characters and stories.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I remember eagerly anticipating Armada. Then it hit and I bought the toys only to think... WTF? Anybody up for watching Carnival right now? :lol 

The Carnival episode is what killed my interest in Armada.

16. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

But...what happened to the stripper?

17. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember hearing rumors of a live action movie as early as 1999, thought it was a complete joke, Boy I am glad I was wrong. And the poor original poster posting such inconceivable hogwash was vilified and impugned to no mercy. Come to think a lot of the rumors have come true no matter how far fetched.

That person is vindicated today, where ever he/she might be now...

18. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

where does the time go...?

19. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i remember my mother helping me sticker my fortress maximus in the little room we had. and trying to figure out what to do with my hand me down ultra magnus. and the summer i got typticon. or better still computron the 1 combiner i actually had the whole set of. oddly, if anything i seem to have been able to not loose micromasters above anything else.

20. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    In 1984, with how cool Transformers were, imagine if someone laid an MP prime on you..........with all that detail and articulation.....

Mind. Blown.