Minor/Repaint: Aww...Jazz...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mpchi, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

...how I've been so wrong about you.

Deluxe Movie Jazz used to be one of my least favorite Movie character toy, and I am pretty dead on not getting it. He's fat, got bunny ears, plain, and the dull grey plastic didn't help one bit. The Solstice isn't someting I like much. When I saw the Final Battle Jazz packaged in robot mode, I wasn't convinced one bit either. Saw Target's G1 deco, passed as well. But now that I've seen the movie on DVD, and look back at my collection, he is the only one thats missing from the Autobots. So I thought what the heck, knowing there is one nearby Walmart that still have quite a few of him. I decided to get him, sort of a "might as well" purchase. Who would have thought, I like him almost as much as my 08 Bumblebee...after a paint job.

Most of you already know what Jazz has to offer, so I won't go into details. While his articulation is limited, and don't quite like his gun's look & being an add on piece, I love the figure's sturdiness & balance. He stands really well, which is always something I look for in a figure. And I always lift up his shoulders to help him look a few pounds less. Love his clear visor, the only movie toy I have that actually works well with the light effect through it. But man, was I surprised by the sculpted details on this guy, especially on the neck/shoulder areas, inner torso, inner car panels, and the legs. Most of them you won't see as much normally, but once painted a wash, they pop right out. Level of detail is on par with 08 Bumblebee, and significantly more than the likes of Barricade (his legs are awfully simple). And a gloss clear coat really help the dull plastic no longer look so dull. Quite amazingly, this Jazz that I thought I would never get, now became my second favorite movie Deluxe. Guess Jazz just need to be 'jazzed up' a bit. Sweet little figure for $9.99 & a few hours of work. ;) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that they are all here, its time for "Autobots! Roll out!!!"

[​IMG]

2. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Nice! Really like how you brought out all the details. Very clean look as well.

3. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand the unlove for DLX Jazz. It looks EXACTLY like the movie version, Transforms just like the brief animated test of Jazz in one of the dvd special features, and if you look at Jazz in the movie, he's not that super skinny. The only "fat" part about him is that his chest is a little wide. I don't see how its any less accurate than any other movie robot... but ah well. I love him, he's one of my favs. :) 

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The only parts on Jazz that bug me are the doors on his legs, which hinder his articulation, and his funky arms...which are just funky. Other then that, he's my favorite mold...to the point that I already have three of him and if they make him one of the Metallic repaints, I'd probably get that too.

Awesome work btw

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    SUPER work and that group shot is full of win! Keep 'em comin'! :thumb 

6. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think the main reason he looked cheap was the plastic. it's the same type as classics starscream and we all know how badly that brings out details (couldn't see his face for god sake)

i skipped on him originally too but i saw final battle at TRU figured i'd get him cos of who he is and i prefer him to 08 bumblebee.

7. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Wootage! Great detailing work!

8. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

That wash really made him look much better, great job. :D  I loved my Jazz a bit more after I took the screws off the doors/thighs last night, I might try the wash later too...

9. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

That look great! How did you do the wash on him (what kind of paint, ink, or whatever is used to make it like that) ?

10. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Simple stuff. The wash I use Enamel falt black diluted by Tamiya enamel thinner, let dry, then clean the marks and bleeding with Q tip & a bit thinner. Then do silver acrylic (Mr. Color) dry brush on the black parts to make them look like worn dark metal. Then gloss clear coat the whole guy to seal the paint from smearing or rubbing, and added some black gundam marker paneling for spots and lines that I miss. Done in a few hours, and nothing that need a lot of skills, tools, nor any disassembling.

Jazz works really well due to its details and colors. Black plastic is always perfect for silver dry brush (Jazz, 08BB), while Jazz's grey plastic also works really well with black dirt and panel lines, even some silver highlight on grey part edges, like worn metal.