Awesome Transformers Room for $1k?(give or take)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, Oct 3, 2012.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

SECOND UPDATE NOW ON PAGE 3 POST 27
    THIRD UPDATE ON PAGE 4 POST 34

I think it can be done.

For my background info, I'm a normal guy with a normal job. Have a decent house and live here with my girlfriend and 2 yr old son. The problem is son number two will be joining the fray in Feb. and I have to relocate the collection room.

As people who have had to do this know, it sucks and its a real pain in the ass. I am also moving to a smaller room(yes it pisses me off lol) so I won't end up having to do it a later date anyhow.

Current room is a mess, I have never had the time to finish it 100% in the 2 yrs I've had the house and my son.

My current room is larger than my new room at 10ft * 12ft and also having a rather large closest. Here are two shots of the current room and main display cases.
    Glass display case:
    [​IMG]

Think this one is Ikea cube something or other:
    [​IMG]

Now to the room I am re-doing currently(still have to put the base board up around 1/2 the wall and trim around the door). It measures 9ft * 12ft (iregular shaped so only half of one end is 12ft due to door).

Again, I am using Billy display cases with Morebo doors in this room(black cause there cheapest). I am also adding a shelf around the room on top of the cases since I no longer have a closet in this room(also to secure the cases themselves to the wall). This is also a relatively cheap option, since on sale a 12 inch by 96 inch black shelf board is $11.99 on sale.

Current pics of soon to be new display room(good as I can get since room is small):
    First pic is oblong shaped end of room as u can see due to the door
    [​IMG]

In process pic:
    [​IMG]

Should be finalized setup on long(far) wall of room, you can see the shelf board in place on top as well.
    [​IMG]

Space left between two case to keep the outlet available as the room was made after the house was done and outlets are limited(hope it just squeezes in with corner case......)

Got most of the trim done in the room, door is done and 95% of the floorboard trim is in, got to find how to cut those pieces online or have someone gimme a hand with them.
    [​IMG]
    This wall will end up with two cases on it.

[​IMG]
    First time the door and entire baseboard trim is intact since I bought the house(became the extra junk room when we moved in lol)

Here is what the long wall and shorter wall that butts up to corner cut off for the door:
    [​IMG]

Here is the opposite long wall in the room(shorter side by a good 3 1/2 to 4ftish):
    [​IMG]

Yes I know the shelf boards overhang the area near the door on top of both rows of cases. It is supposed to be that way. The shelf board on top of the cases is spaced out about 1 inch from the wall to give a slight overhang to the front of the shelf over the case as well as to make the shelves a little deeper. This will also allow me to run the shelf over the door frame area by raising it 3/4 of an inch and it actually setting on the tops of the shelves supported by the display cases(could be kept dead even with the others, but being 6'6 and all family members tall, the 3/4 inch extra gives a measure of protection).

At this point, spacing is settled on as well as all shelves done minus the section over the door(cant find shelf brackets I like). Mon will be spent securing shelves to display cases and all of it to the walls(supports will all need to be located in studs due to weight)

[​IMG]
    I kinda wish in hind site I angle cut the shelf board for the corner, but doing this by yourself, you can only hold measure and square off so much yourself.
    Going to cut a piece on a table saw to fit in the corner to make it appear a little nicer. Measuring proved to be damned near spot on, in the room you can hardly see the gap from one shelf board to the next.

[​IMG]
    This shows you how the case/shelves are secured to the walls(go directly into studs here) using 3/4 inch screws on the shelves and 1 5/8 deck screws directly into the studs(wish I had help, shelves would have been routered to keep them perfectly flat on top, oh well. U can also see where I had some care to get the screws just below the surface of the shelves.

[​IMG]
    This shows the opposite wall of the room with the two cases on it. Everything is the same as the other side here. The shelf overhangs, because the actual doorway will have a shelf over it since it will just clear if sitting on top of the current tops/shelves.

Also all unfinished ends of the boards will be getting finished, just need to get back to the store again.

I will be updating this thread(updated 10/11/12) as work gets done and might have a stupid big push this weekend, since its my long weekend off from work. As u can also tell I am working around a massive amount of shit in the room still :) 

As u can tell my nephew showed up and we made a massive Ikea haul. I'll even throw up honest prices off my receipts for a total $$$ of the project.

UPDATES NOW ON PAGE 3 POST 27

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1000k? Isn't that one million? :tongue: 

3. 3.8TransAM

It made u read the thread didnt it :)  Now if the pics would work....:D 

4. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good luck! I've been doing my tf room in my basement for 5 years now! It seems like it never ends!

5. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The topic title confused me a little. At first I thought you were trying to sell off your collection for 1,000 bucks, but am I right to assume that you're just redoing a room to display your collection with a budge of 1k?

6. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks like there are glass fronts on those new cases, that is a good thing. I had to put mine on shelves out of my kids reach. Now that they are old enough to understand not to touch daddy's toys, they don't. Well, most of the time they don't they still have accidents here and there since they are in the living room.

But do what you have to do to make sure the kids cannot get into those cabinets. the more they have to ask if they can touch them, the more they will understand not to touch them.

7. 3.8TransAM

Update 10/06/12

Added some new pics and info, probable mass update t'row if all goes well.

Hope this thread goes better than the other display thread :D 

8. 3.8TransAM

Update 10/07/12.

Ikea trip happened the nephew showed lol.

Cases assembled(minus doors for ease of placement)

Locations settled upon. Nothing is secured in finality.

9. MartyMcfly160

MartyMcfly160 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    where did you get that glass display case?

10. 3.8TransAM

They would be Billy book cases from Ikea. The black ones run $59.99, doors for them(Morebo style like u see in my pics) run $100($50*2).

Cheapest way I could find any display case with glass doors(that I would trust to hold up).

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like where you are going with this.
    keep it up, update often and i cannot wait to see the finished room.

...and the Men in Black level of security to keep kids out, LOL.

12. MasterxBlaster

MasterxBlaster THUGFORMER

News Credits:
    Now this is AWESOME!! Love that your sharing your journey with us! Those black cases look sick with the glass doors man! This is $1,000 wellllll spent imo! I like those cases better then the Detolfs since they're WIDER and your not stuck with a small display space. Its been a BIOTCH trying to display my classic figs in my detolfs, always wished i had a extra couple of inches to the sides to stretch out my displays!

Good luck to displaying your collection bro, I really look forward to your updates :thumb 

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good luck my friend, and congratulations on the new family addition :thumb .

14. 3.8TransAM

You are correct, was going for a title people would click on lol. Trying to do a room for a $1k. It's hard to do if you are wanting glass enclosed cases. Anything large case wise gets into the $600 on uprange in a hurry, so figuring the math 3 is a minimum of $1800.

Amazingly my 2 year old will get mommy or daddy to go into "daddy's room". He hasn't killed anything yet. Sometimes I find a fig or two moved and I know he was in there.

See above, I am blessed the little monster is pretty good about "daddy's room"

I feel the same about Detolf's as u do. Too cramped and u give up a lot of space with them and they are short. These Billys are 79 inches tall(slightly less deep at 11 3/4 inch however), they also have them available in 15 inch depth but the cost goes to $100 each vs $60. My room is smaller now, so I went as close to the wall as possible.

No new addition yet, that will be Feb. Everything is good so far and we know its another boy(terror #2 basically) (I need u to drop my stuff with Padre and then we can finally put that out of its misery lol)

Thanks for the compliments folks. Thought I would put something up realistic and educational(of the actual doing and whats involved work and dollar wise).

I got called into work t-nite(love working nites.......), so work today will be limited to securing cases/shelves to the walls and them I'm calling it quits. Won't be able to do much till Thurs afternoon when I get up and I'm also off on Fri.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man, I totally forgot about that. I'll drop that with him next time I see him.

16. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This is looking pretty good. I like where you are going with this. Keep the updates coming.

17. 3.8TransAM

Took some pics of the upper shelving and the screws on top that I recessed.

Nothing crazy but figured I would take some pics for examples for folks.

Just got home from work so I will get the camera and add them to the thread this afternoon when I get up.

18. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm loving those Billy bookcases with the glass doors. I have similar bookcases that I got from Target that don't have the glass doors on them. Makes me wish I had an Ikea around here because, similarly to you, I have a toddler who runs around my place and loves to visit my collection room. Of course, he's my nephew and not my son, so he's not here 24/7. Still, the glass doors would greatly help deter him from grabbing random figures off my shelf and running around with them.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I REALLY like where you're going with this thread and your collection. Many thanks for sharing!

20. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    those are some nice display cases......I got bookshelves for my TFs but I have had to adjust them a few times......