Awesome free simulation program: Orbiter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I have been playing around with this program for about a week, it's a bit technical (read the documentation) but once you get into it it's a lot of fun. Basically, it's a flight simulator, but the entire solar system is in there, you can fly anywhere on the planet and several spaceports are present, both real and imaginary.

It works just like a normal flight simulator when you are in the atmosphere but you can also try orbital maneuvers, de-orbits, and even interplanetary flight. There are also several spacecraft to choose from both real (like the space shuttle) and fictional (I love the delta glider - it's an awesome rocket plane/spacecraft).

The graphics are pretty good and there is a TON of add-ons from additional spaceports/airports, additional spacecraft, military aircraft, and upgraded textures.

Here are some screen grabs:

The shuttle Atlantis lifts off!

[​IMG]

The cockpit of the Delta Glider (it's a fully 3D cockpit, you can also switch to a standard 2D cockpit)
    [​IMG]

The Delta Glider, ready for takeoff:
    [​IMG]

The Delta Glider Takes off!
    [​IMG]

Here is the Delta Glider in orbit:
    [​IMG]

The moon from the Kennedy Space center - you can fly to it (and land there) if you really want to:
    [​IMG]

Earth from space (specular reflections on the water and atmospheric haze - the sky even turns red at sunset and sunrise!):
    [​IMG]

Mars from space, it has a working atmosphere too!

[​IMG]

2. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Holy crap that is pretty neat, Does it support gamepads?

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yes, but mainly just to control thrusters and maneuvering, you still have to use the keyboard a lot.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but you can go to any planet and major moon in the solar system, and everything is modeled - for example, flying in the atmosphere on Venus is a lot different than flying an aircraft on earth because of the density of the air, you can't use aerodynamic control surfaces on the moon (they are not much use in Mar's atmosphere either) so you have to use reactionary thrusters - I have not done much with the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) other than look at them - there is so much you can do it will take me a while to try everything.

Also, the stars are all in their correct positions too, and there is a planetarium mode.

4. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I messed around with this a while back. Couldn't really get the hang of it. I guess I'm to used to the controls in MSFS.

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Very interesting I'll have to play with it more later. So far I'm good at using the time warp to nearly make myself sick.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

But can I do a barrel roll by pressing Z or R twice?

BTW: looks cool, I might have to give this a go.

7. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This looks really sweet. It's my dream to be an astronaut someday.

*Ten years later....

Commander Chocula, you, uh.... you completed your first simulation with a perfect score. No one has ever done that in the astronaut corps. history. Here's a medal of honor. How would you like to be king of earth?*

A guy can dream....