Customs: Awards? Just thinking

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Drift, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was sitting here, thinking, customs are like works of art, they should be celebrated, So, who thinks we should do an online awards ceremoney like the funnies? The only problem that comes to mind is traffic in here (Creative general discusion, could be moved to main customs on the front page list) and catergories (Give me suggestions), The ones I could thin kof were:
    Best Repaint
    Best Heavily modded figure
    BEST scratchbuild
    Best original use of a mold
    Best new customiser
    Best battle damage on a figure
    Best new mod
    Best Custom

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I don't know...
    I don't think anyone in the Radicons really does it so much for fame or reward, as they do it for fun. I don't think.

3. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah all mine were just for the hobby of painting and making a figure that doesnt exist into life! or one that i cant afford - for example the collectors club punch/counterpunch figure

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    ^ same here

although the idea sounds kinda fun

5. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And we funnies creators don't do it for fame, either. The awards just celebrate our talent and let us revisit works from the past year.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

And SQ7 may pounce now...

*just no. It's been discussed before. No.

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    My Awards are all the posts people wrote into my custom-threads, this is a pleasure for me.

and if the comments and - of course - the critics are helpful, i'm the happiest man here :) 

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I don't think your awards system works as well for Customs as it did for comics because they are two different things. Comics in the end are all the same thing (a story presented through a series of pictures with text and special effects), but with customs there is just too much difference in the end results. Not to mention the fact there are always new ones poping up, much more than the rate of new comics, and in most of those catagories I suspect people would nominate the more well-known customizers (i.e. TheTransTortrure would always win "Best battle damage" because that's what he's most famous for. Just look at his screenname) instead of people who post their first customs. I mean, when comparing what would be the better custom, would anybody say my old Burnout custom (a repainted Movie Camshaft) is a better custom than say, anything Sculpt-Bot does? Heck, I was once told that one of my most recent customs (repainted knock-off) wasn't as good as the original 1987 Sixshot toy.

The way I believe Radicons is set up is to promote a community of customizers who show off their work with others to get feedback and constructive criticism to improve their work. Trying to implement a system of "custom awards" would discourage newcomers because they probably would think their skills will never be as good as some of the *big* name Radicons, and so would never try in the first place.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It will lead to some problems.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, everyone gets their egos stroked enough as it is. Plus, it just kinda perpetuates the "king of the hilll" type idea, which is pretty absurd to begin with.

Have fun. Make customs. Have fun. Share. Have fun.

I mean, I really enjoy the occasional customs contest from time to time, but something like this would lead to some unwanted arguments.

That being said, we do have an annual "Share your favorite customs" thread that's a bit more of a yearly retrospect of what everyone likes and such.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

To expand on my previous post, I feel that the current state of the community can be fragile, what with some of the clashing egos and such. There's no need to dance around this topic. We need to stay together as a community. Contests are cool. I participated in one at Sector70, but I can already see the problems that will arise as a result.

12. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

And to further perpetuate Satomiblood's concept of a fragile community, do you all remember the threads about the 'middle-class kitbasher'?

There was a lot of debate of how some people, and indeed there were a few, that felt they were stuck in the centre; they were known well enough for people to recognise their screen name, but they weren't FrenzyRumble or Sabrina or Spurt (just pulling names off the top of my head) in the sense they didn't get a million replies of "OMG!!! Wow!!! That is the most awesome ____ ever! Outstanding!!!", and nor were they so new that people praised them for what they'd done in such little time and with such little experience.

A contest or awards like these would not help those people, i don't think. I have no doubt in my mind that there would be many votes for customs from the well-known customisers, solely for the fact they came from those customisers (not that they don't deserve such praise, but you get the point), which ultimately have more publicity and therefore a wider audience. Those in the 'middle class' would likely be left out; good customs, but not quite good enough in the eyes of the voters.

Now, you could make categories for awards, that limit who can win each one. So, for instance, you can make a category for "Best custom from a middle class kitbasher". But that only raises the problem of who gets to decide who fits in what class? And what does that then say about the 'king of the hill' phobia Allen is so stricken with? And how would one go about changing the class they are designated as, when does one get to say "i have improved enough to go up a level"? That raises far more problems than it's worth.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I also think that categorizing customizers can result in more problems as well. I know we're artists with varying degrees of skill and experience, but further separating people by labeling them as "middle class" can't help.

14. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    could we use the yearly review (bring up favorite customs frm the year thread) and let a moderator take those and have those particular ones voted on instead?

but no matter what you do if there is a contest where awards are given there is always a loser

15. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But funnies could have these problems too.... They have a lot of time and effort put in..... Don't see the difference

16. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well... the awards thing is a bad idea seeing as how some guys are actually professionals in the industry. Not at customizing but at producing toys and such.

If somebody wants a kitbashing award then they should enter a competition like at botcon, at least there's a chance for prizes.

On the other hand, I dont see why an enterprising individual cant take it upon themselves to organize without the help of the rest of the community an awards thing. What do you need our approval for? If you really believe in it, just go do it.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter: