AVP question

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by seeker311, Dec 21, 2007.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Why is the AVP movies based off the comic and not the Predator 2 movie where the Alien skulls is shown? Or is it?

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

It's more like they're making it up as they go along.

3. Slamdance

Slamdance The Sustainable 'Bot

The new 5 minute clip has shown it as taking place straight after the first AVP. Fear not however as things have been changed here and there to make it better (R-rating for example).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I should imagine that its because a comic has story wheras a background prop included for novelty value doesn't.

Why would it even matter when Predators are probably hunting Aliens on a regular basis across the galaxy and that the skull could have been aquired by any of the dozen or so anonymous ones hanging around the ship that the audience doesn't know or care about?

5. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Well, the AVP comics were an actual storyline based on the characters, the alien skull in the background of Predator 2 was the filmaker's homage to the Alien series.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Weren't Predators hunting Aliens for hundreds of years anyhow?

Or at least they were in the movie-verse...

What I don't get, if Aliens is supposed to take place in the future, how come *nobody* ever knew about them.

7. Frognal

Because the first AVP screwed over the continuity.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not that i'm defending the film or anything, but whose going to believe some crazy sounding woman who comes back from the antartic claiming that her expedition was killed by a load of acid-spitting aliens that she blew up and sunk with the help of a second load of aliens who can turn invisible and shoot lasers?

9. Frognal

You got me there. It just would've been nice if they had followed the comic history a bit and kept the aliens off of earth.

10. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

didn't superman fight the aliens?

11. Slamdance

Yes theres been a "Batman & Superman Vs Aliens & Predator" TPB out recently. Theres also been a Batman Vs Aliens Vs Predator fanfilm that was quite good too.

I think there was another Batman one where a xenomorph gestated inside an aliigator.

Edit - Although don't expect these to be refernced in any of the films.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Superman and Batman, yes.
    Brilliant art -boring story.

I actually thought the first AvP could have fit into continuity.
    Except that being suffocated by a face hugger produced an offspring that produced a full grown alien in about 5 minutes.

I just figure no one believed the surviving chick or she just never told anyone.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with Predator 2 and the said Alien Skull that's hanging on his wall, is that Aliens don't have endoskeletons. They are exoskeletal, like bugs, only prettier. And Acidier.

14. Slamdance

Was this explained on the DVD special features? Something along the lines off because the predators have been using the aliens for hundreds of years they have genetically modified them to gestate quicker.

OT- I saw on the internet recently a comic scan of red aliens, anyone know where this is from?

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The same people who were looking for the Predators in Predator 2 after they saw what happened in Predator 1.

Though to put it bluntly, I know you can't take the Predator series, the Aliens series and the AvP Series and make them into any sort of cohesive, intelligent continuity, just like you can't take the Comics into consideration. Though it is fun to try.

I think this would fall into the same situation as how they handles the Transformers movie, only a lot more extreme. It's their war, but happening on our world and we watch the film from the human perspective. If it wasn't on earth it would have no humans...it would just be two aliens killing each other. The human element is added so we have something to relate to. The first AvP had the effects of both aliens be extensively minimized to a small group of people in a desolate area, which attributed to it's 'meh' factor. This film is taking place in a populated town and that will help bump this film up to become something much more epic and dramatic.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

You can still remove the head, clean out the gunk and polish it up nice and shiney. And I believe the shiney tops of their heads do cover some sort of skull.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're probably right because they do have teeth, and those have to be embeded into something other than just a shell. Then again, Spiders have "Mandibles" and they are attached to the exo. And then their retractable jaws (the alien's) seem to be skin over some sort of bones. So maybe they are a mixture of both, and Preddy just took liberties with shining it up.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Alien movie verse has constantly messed with the length of time it takes for an Alien to gestate in the host and for the facehugger to inpregnate said host. Also, the first Alien movie was the only one the facehugger has some odd sack-like outer membrane. The humans removed it from the facehugger. Every facehugger afterwards already had it gone.

I'm on the side of "they just make it up as they go", at least for the movies. Although AvP didn't really have to mess up the continuity.

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wouldve expected the original AVP movie taking place around Ripley's time period. I think that would have been more logical and cooler in the sci fi sense.

20. Frognal

But it's not a war, it's a clean up after a messy, massively failed hunt. And of course it could take place somewhere other than Earth and still involve humans, provided you place within the proper time period as the comics did (Aliens time period).