AVP 2 - general opinion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ghost Prime, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ok i just saw the film over the net (thanks alluc) and i felt this film was far far superior to the god awful first film.

I liked the fact lots of people died who you didnt expect, mainly the girl (love interest) and also that this time were was a ton of Aliens and more action with the Predators and the Aliens fighting rather than just short scenes.

I was shocked at the end with Miss Utani considering Bishop died in the first film. I would like to know more about her and the business.

I just felt it was a far better film than the first and i feel much better with this than the tripe that we were given before. I just only wish they would remove the humans all together or have there scenes EXTEREMLY short because unless its Ellen Ripley then i just dont care about a bunch of no-bodies

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It was much more entertaining than the first film.

By no means a good movie, it was actually pretty bad. It was good at what it did however, the kills were excellent, and it was fun to watch.

That said, they spent too much time focusing on the cannon fodder being...things other than cannon fodder.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just because it's better than the first film does not make it any good. Comparitively it's great, on by itself it's shit. Poor plot, crap characters, bad direction, trying way too hard (NOW LOOK HOW GORY WE ARE... WE GONNA KILLA PREGNANT WOMEN!!!) and add to all these problems the fact that they actually gave away every single good shot in the entire film in the internet trailer. Total balls.

4. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Frankly, I agree I liked it better than the first, but yes I did not like the direction the film took in imitating the current trend of "hack & slash" horror films. As llamatron said, the overall story & human characters were superficial at best. On the other hand, I did kinda ignore the teen garbage plot and still somewhat enjoyed the film

As for the Predalien's "special ability," I really didn't mind it considering the mehish writer had to explain a way for the aliens to infest the small town (and seems to be suggested by Fox if you check out the Straus Brothers' interview at avpgalaxy.net).

In all honesty, I really wished Fox just made a new AvP film that didn't connect itself to the previous 2 with a story that takes place in space and at least based on the Dark Horse graphic novels.

5. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the first movie; it was an enjoyable action flick. It was a fanboy's dream come to life: Aliens vs. Predator, no matter how few times the two actually came to crossing swords with each other. The people were just cannon fodder (minus Sanaa Lathan's character. She was kinda interesting), especially Colin Salmon -- who get's cut up into pieces again. But the sequel, Requiem, looks like a lesson in a really stupid "Gore Fest" that honestly doesn't even look like its trying.... I probably won't watch it.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

This movie was GARBAGE. Garbage story, garbage characters, garbage ending. I did like seeing the Predator home world.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what you are saying is that I can save myself most of the runtime of the movie and watch the trailer only.
    Thus devoting my precious time to other more worthy activities.
    Like watching paint dry.

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The first 5 mintues of the movie was ok, the next 45 minutes was crap, and then the rest of the movie was the kill fest I was expecting. That 45 minute span being a bunch of boring BS about characters no one gave a crap about and their daily lives.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into a bi-annual sequel with nothing but headshots and what not like Saw wound up being.

Honestly, the aliens just aren't that damn interesting unless there's something else going on. Maybe some kinda backstory. The predators usually kick ass, but they need some story too. And while they're at it, why not go over the weyland-yutani thing? Oh wait, that's the 3 things that actually matter in terms of plot, something that BOTH avp movies have pretty much damn near ignored or screwed up in a rush to get to the killing.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    They need to dose the aliens with the same Lovecraftian touches that the comic books had. They were absolutely terrifying in Book 1, 2 and Earth War.

The movie sucked balls, but at least it had good creature effects. But Fox needs to be slapped for making it yet ANOTHER teenslasher. Alien VS Predator CAN work. The comics and even the games managed it, why can't a movie? Hell, give it Ridley Scott, he has admitted that he wants to do another Alien movie, even if has to be a crossover.

10. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

the main thing that pissed me off about the 1st film is all the arseholes who complained that the Predators were killed to easily. I cant recall the times i had to explain to these dumb ass's that THEY WERE AMATURS! NOT FULLY FLEDGE PREDATORS! it used to drive me mad.

The 2nd film shows what a master Predator Hunter can do and the fact he must have been there teacher as he was watching them from the Predator homeworld. Im shocked he went to face the Aliens on his own tho, if it were me i would have taken a team of 5 at least considering the predatorian was a new foe they may never have faced before

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I enjoyed AVPR. It was infinitely better than AVP. I didn't go in expecting Shakespeare; I wanted to see aliens & predators beating the shit out of each other, and humans getting killed in horrible ways, and I got exactly what I was after. Fine with me.

12. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I didn't really like the human character-building parts, but it was refreshing to see so many of them get killed in the end. It was vastly superior to the first movie, and since it had of ton of Aliens, it was a pretty good movie in my books.

13. Sir.Grimlock

Sir.Grimlock Banned

i thik it is a good movie

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Pretty much. I won't pretend that it wasen't a crap film or that such things are an excuse for it being so, but it does exactly what it said on the tin and it was at least good for a laugth.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Aside from the scenes in the Maternity ward (you all know the ones I mean), I enjoyed it much more than AvP. It was more bloody, more action packed and certainly held a very bad arse Predator.

I'd give it a solid 4/5 personally, but I agree some scenes were being gory for the sake of it rather than actually being relevant.

16. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I saw the movie the day after it was released, and it really, really, SUCKED. Talk about a disappointment.

17. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

It was one of the worst things i've ever seen. In comparison it makes the first one look like a masterpiece. I found the original amusing, but not good, and this wasn't even amsuing, just pure shit.

Only 1 preadtor? I know thats the title, but I mean, what the fuck? I did appreciate the more suits and less cg though...

18. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Better than the first but not a patch on Alien/s, I'll stick with those.
    Nicely gory to be fair.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

So I just watched this, and it wasn't half bad. Definitely not Aliens or Predator quality though better than first, but it wasn't shit either. I like that its basically an infestation movie and Predalien was pretty badass. I cracked up when that chick said, "The government doesn't lie"...only in a small town. Kinda wished I saw it in the theater now.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

After the crappy AVP1, I gave up on the Alien or Predator franchises returning to their former glory. With that in mind, I pretty much walked into AVP2 expecting it to suck, and I was pleasantly surprised.

It was a huge improvement over AVP1 in almost every way. If this had been the first AVP movie, I would probably have hated it, but, well, AVP1 has proven that it could've been a lot worse.

My favorite line: "GET TO THE CHOPPER!"