AVI question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sunstorm9119, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    OK, so I managed to get Galaxy force on dvd (thanks Valiant_Knight), the only problem is they are in the AVI format and can only be played on my computer. Is there any kind of software I can buy so I can re-record it to play on a standard DVD player? I can't even watch them on my P.C. right now cause my real player needs updated, and I can't get online at home. My buddy has a high speed connection and a DVD burner, so this will be done on his computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    if you have XP, you should have windows movie maker already on your computer.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    You can actually just rename the .AVI file, to mpg and the nburn it to DVD, or just watch it in media player. Very simple.

4. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Unfortunately my PC is running ME, and my media player doesn't recognize the file for some reason. I tried the WMP when my real player wouldn't work. I'll try renaming it and see if that works out.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This forum is for Board Tech Support.

But I'll leave this open just now.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

If you want to watch them on a DVD player, your going to have to re-encode the video to MPEG2 and author it into the DVD file formats and structure. Most burning suites can do a half arsed job of that for you thesedays, but don't expect great results unless you are going to pony up for some decent software and learn it the hard way.

As for watching it on your computer, it'll probably be encoded in an MPEG4 format if the files are relative new and were done by somebody who knew what they were doing. That means you'll need to install a decent media player and the right codec, which I don't fancy your chances for since your running a 9x dinosaur.

I'd seriously recomend that you invest in a new computer, playing video files is the least of your worries if your using ME and a machine thats old enougth to have come with it on is well past its day.

Steer clear of Real Player as well, use Real Alternative if you really need the ability to play Real Media files.

No, for reasons too numerous for me to be bothered to type.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you cant just rename AVIs to MPGs. they use different codecs and compression.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What you probably want is to have a look at TV Nihon's playback help page: http://www.tvnihon.com/help_playback.html

To my knowledge, they're the only place to get the Galaxy Force episodes, so odds are those are what you have. Try the codecs mentioned there and see if it helps.

9. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

QuickTime Pro FTW.

[​IMG]

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Ive found AVI Codec a very useful program for trying to figure out what audio/video codecs were used to create a video file.

http://avicodec.duby.info/

It will also does a decent job of providing links to sites with the necessary codecs.

Once you can play them via WMP, then you'll be able to do what RabidYak said and re-encode them to MPEG2. There are free and share ware programs that work very nicely. Ive used VirtualDub and TMPEGenc in the past with nice results.

Videohelp.com has a ton of great tutorials on how to convert almost any video format to dvd.(http://www.videohelp.com/)