Avengers: The Inititave

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Phoenix Prime, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Phoenix Prime

Phoenix Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So I am a big fan of Marvel's Civil War (except the ending which was completely underwhelming) and the aftermath is gearing up to be even better (we can hope).

I just read the Inititave, and found Tony Stark's position so much fun. Most heroes are working for SHIELD now, and Stark is running SHIELD. He gets to now pick and choose from the best the best. Who would you choose?

A simple 7 person roster, try to keep in mind some heroes are still not registered, but some villians are!

Ironman
    She-Hulk
    Thor
    Marvel Girl
    Mr Fantastic
    Shadowcat
    Blackwidow

Ironman is kind of the default, he is head of SHIELD, so there is no reason for him not to be on the Avengers (plus the brains, the backing and the technology are valuable assets). She-Hulk I have always loved, plus having a massive strong "person" is just an essential. Thor is still missing, but Tony does have the ability to make a new clone, and hopefully would be smart enough to work the 'bugs' out. If not Thor, then Sentry. Both for the power level really. Marvel Girl! Rachel Summers being one of the most powerful psi-talents on the planet is needed for the team. The Avengers have rarely used psi-talents, it is time to change that. Mr. Fantastic wouldn't stay with the team long, cause the Fantastic Four always reunite, but his mind puts Tony's to shame, having a big brain like that could prove useful. Shadowcat was an Agent of SHIELD for two seconds right? Plus for undercover work, who can beat someone able to walk through walls? Which brings us to Blackwidow. Her black-ops training and contacts have always served the team well.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

We -do- have a comics section, you know.

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I don't follow Civil War so can you list all the potential superheroes that Stark can recruit?

Is Iron Man considered the villain in the universe now? He's gone against Cap, working for gov't against other superheroes (anti reg) and did a lot of things that do not endear to fans like me.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That we do.
    *punt*

5. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Actually, after reading a lot of the CW titles (particularly those where Tony discusses his motivation), I think Stark did what he had to do in order to prevent the superhero community from a far worse fate. He often says, "They were going to outlaw superhumans ENTIRELY - this was the only way we could continue to operate in any capacity," and after re-reading some of the New Avengers stuff (where SHIELD is obviously VERY anti-superhuman), and reconsidering the ramifications of House of M (where the superhuman community was drastically reduced due to the disappearance of almost all mutants), I definitely would not put it past the government to try to outlaw powers.

Stark is a villain in as much as he's a Machiavellian character - he does what needs to be done in order for the most people to benefit from the results. Read Frontline as well - the last issue, although really not very good, reveals that the 42 prison was entirely funded by the government. Ben and Sally confront Stark with the fact that they know that he knows that the SRA will one day be repealed and all incarcerated heroes will be freed, thus leaving an entirely paid off Negative zone prison for all supervillains, which, thus, would allow the world to be a safer place.

Honestly, that's what I liked best about Civil War - the fact that neither Cap nor Tony really occupied the role of "bad guy." They both did bad things for the greater good - just because Stark and pro-reg won out doesn't mean that they are necessarily the "villains" - their plan to make the world a better place was just better accepted at the time.

(And, let's not forget that, in CW #7, Cap's anti-reg group brought a massive superhero battle to Times Square, which ended up killing 50 civilians, whereas Stark's pro-reg group attempted to keep said battle contained. With that information, you could say that Cap's side was responsible for negligence and civilian deaths...which would probably make HIM the villain. :p )

6. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Tony Stark lover...:p 

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh, right, and my picks for a perfect Avengers team would be:

Iron Man - heavy hitter, techie, and and leader
    Deadpool or Agent X - the new "Wolverine"
    Sentry - heavy hitter and the new "Thor"
    Julia Carpenter Spiderwoman - spider-person (they can steal her from Omega Flight. It's only Canada.)
    White Tiger - resident ninja
    Wasp - size changer (big or small), plus Avengers veteran
    Quake (the metahuman from Secret War)

I think that team would work much better than the current Mighty Avengers, which is to say at all.

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Or geniuses just think alike. :p 

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You mean he's being grossly overused? :p 

10. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I think it'd be easier to list those Stark can't recruit actually seeing that most of the Anti-Registration side joined the Registration after Cap surrendered.

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

A lot of fans seem to think so. Personally, I sided with IRON MAN. Neither solution in the CIVL WAR was without problems, and while the idea of 'registering' simply for being who you are is sinister (if a super-powered person wanted to actively use their powers), we're all on multiple databases without our consent already.

I find the notion that someone with superpowers can become an unelected, self-appointed guardian of my (for example) morals, dispensing their definition of justice and being answerable to nobody, just as sinister.
    Ultimately, that's what Captain America was defending: The freedom to be a vigilante.

Guess that'll make me even less popular with some people here.

12. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    I don't think many people would disagree with you, actually. If the 616 universe actually WERE part of real life, and these people were running around (particularly after a catastrophe like Stamford), I'm sure that many would prefer to feel more secure with the safeguards that the SRA implemented.

However, from a storytelling standpoint? Anti-reg would be the way to go - giving your characters more freedom typically leads to better stories, whereas having them constantly on a leash tends to inhibit the story sometimes, particularly when that leash wasn't there a year ago.

In any case, I was hardcore pro-reg until they brought out the clone Thor and the new Thunderbolts. I would be pissed, and pretty damn scared, if I was a taxpayer and found out that my dollars had gone to produce those sorts of things...it'd be like putting Osama bin Laden on the payroll to hunt down other terrorists. Strategically, it may not be a bad move, but it feels completely ridiculous. After those stunts - significantly less pro-reg.

Another argument against registration (that was also raised by Wonderman in "Frontlines," as well as Cable in "Cable and Deadpool") is that the SRA isn't so much a registration (like you would with a gun) as it is a draft - you sign up to be deployed wheresoever your superiors see fit. That seems pretty immoral to me as well, especially considering that beforehand, all superheroes were purely volunteers.

I suppose the really unfortunate thing about Civil War is the fact that it started to lose power starting with issue #5, and was plagued by continuity issues (look no further than Civil War's description of how Sue left Reed, and then check the mainline Fantastic Four book's record of events).

13. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    No... I'm gonna go with the Tony Stark lover one... :p 

And let's not forget, they also went after super powered people that weren't doing ANYTHING... Luke Cage, anyone?

With great power comes great responsibility... and a stint in the joint.

14. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Not to mention trying to enlist Luke's wife, Jessica Jones. Can you imagine how that would have worked out had she agreed?

"Jessica! Put on your costume now! We got villains and shit to capture!"
    "Yeah...I'm kinda busy breastfeeding my baby girl. You know: the one I gave birth to only a few weeks (Marvel time) ago. Jerk!"

15. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    You know what would be really cool... the Pro Reg versus the Hulk... while the Anti Reg refused to help them, and instead just concentrated on keeping the ungrateful basta... I mean citizens safe from collateral damage...

...ahhh, who am I kidding.... they have the Sentry for crying out loud... I can't really see Hulk winning this fight... OR getting ahold of Iron DICKHEAD!

Iron Man: Look, just forget about that right now... the Hulk's on a rampage... we need all the help we can get!!!

Spider Man: .... you shittin' me, right?

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    It'll be interesting to see if they respect the Sentry's previous history with the Hulk, given that in both Sentry miniseries, Bob and the Hulk have been really good friends.

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The intention was for him to risk (and lose) his friendships for the betterment of the world.

Unfortunately, lots of the CW writing (mainly in tie-in books) put him across more as a moustache-twirling megalomaniac that generally acts like a dick and saves hair folicles in case he needs to clone people.

Going by his own book though, he's -meant- to have been a lot more pained by the entire event, under the mask. Seems like more of the writers are making that clear now, though.

18. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Yeah, but only because the Sentry's radiation makes Hulk high

19. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    Too late, Lord Raiden....