Avatar The Last Airbender Comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Airspeed, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Avatar The Last Airbender fans will be interested to know about this trio of Graphic Novels, they will continue the story directly after the events of the shows finale and will lead into the new show The Last Airbender Legend Of Korra.
    Pretty much all info on the first one and what we know about the other 2 is in these posts below.
    Written by Gene Yang and Art by Gurihiru, it will be 100% canon as Mike and Bryan were heavily involved with Dark Horse for these.
    Part 1 is out January 25th
    Avatar The Last Airbender Series “The Promise: Part 1″ To follow events Shortly after Season 3 in Comic Form – Pre Order Now
    Exclusive Interview with Author of ATLA The Promise Part 1
    The Promise Part 1 News – Gene Yang Presentation and New Preview Pages

From what I have seen of the book, it looks amazing, the perfect way to continue on the ATLA story since Korra will be the new show.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey cool another Dark Horse continuation to a franchise that is unlikely to live up to the original material!

(I kid, kind of)

This is better than nothing, I suppose, and will keep people occupied and satisfied until the new show comes out. At least its not a sequel to the live action movie.

3. Airspeed

News Credits:
    ^ Half of the book was leaked through Amazon's preview. For me, what I have seen the plot is amazing and the characterisation is exactly like the show.

Also Dark Horse's first Avatar book "The Lost Adventures" was excellent, so they have delivered once already.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is relevant to my interests!

5. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Nice, I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

6. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Having just watched the entire series on Netflix - I may have to check this out.

7. lifedragon99

lifedragon99 Well-Known Member

Damn now I have to wait for this in addition to the new show.

8. Airspeed

News Credits:
    ^I know how you feel, I have known about Korra since about May 2010, but once part 1 hits in January we hit a stream of Avatar stuff.
    Part 2 released in May and I assume part 3 in august/september leading into Korra in mid/late 2012.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Sweet!:thumb  I'll have to look into this one day!

10. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Wow this is damn good news can't wait glad the live movie didn't kill it.

11. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Gonna keep my eyes peeled for this. Might even pre-order, gonna sleep on it for now.

12. Airspeed

News Credits:
    The Movie has actually had no negative impact on the show, everyone realises that it is movieverse and has no effect on the show. In fact it has only been good for the Avatar fandom and has introduced more people to the show.

The Creators Mike and Bryan have mentioned in an interview that they have ideas for more stuff beyond, these graphic novels and The Last Airbender Legend Of Korra. So Avatar looks set to continue for a long while :) 

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'm really looking forward to this. Recently became a fan of the show this year and I love it.

14. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    All good news.

15. Airspeed

News Credits:
    Part 1 is out on Wednesday in comic stores :) 

16. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Count me in.

However I'm sad about Legend of Korra. The producers should have ended with The Last Airbender/Legend of Aang. It's like if suddenly J. K. Rowling announces another Harry Potter book. It will totally take that emotional moment I had when I finished reading the 7th and closed the book and that awesome moment when I realized I effing lived my childhood with the Book Series and it was totally worth it. The finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender had the same effect. I got up from the seat knowing it was all over and what an awesome Cartoon Series that was. When you tell a story, people should realize when to stop.... cuz even that has an awesome effect.

Anyway... I'll give this Graphic Novel series and Legend of Korra a shot. But they'll never ever be even close to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I am similarly wary that it will be underwhelming and sour the rest of the franchise, but at the same time, with a lot of the same people involved, its possible that it could be a worthwhile addition.

18. Airspeed

News Credits:
    Having seen half of the book I can say that these Graphic Novels will explore after the series in exactly the way that was needed.
    All of the loose ends that you would think of with the War over, but not yet peace in the world will be explored (at least from what I have seen of part 1).

Plus why would they not want to explore such a huge universe, there are so many things to tell stories about. It would be an absolute waste to keep the Avatar universe as just the show, not to mention there were comics that came out during the show that are canon.
    The First Avatar, more on the Spirits and stuff only briefly mentioned in ATLA. Iroh's past and Spirit World. So much to explore
    And regarding Korra the fact that they have made the series 70 years on, with pretty much all new characters in a much changed world, gives me even more confidence in the show.
    That and Mike and Bryan and pretty much the whole ATLA crew are back for Korra, they are better writers now, the animation has come on a lot and they know exactly what Nick will allow.

19. Airspeed

News Credits:
  20. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If only Dark Horse put stuff out on Comixology. I would definitely be reading it if they did.