Avatar & Planet of the Apes vs Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BluRayHiDef, Sep 30, 2011.

1. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Weta Digital and Industrial Light and Magic are two visual effects companies, both of which have worked on major Hollywood blockbuster films. Weta Digital has worked on films such as Avatar and Rise of the Planets of the Apes, and Industrial Light and Magic has worked on the Harry Potter films and (our beloved) Transformers films. So, my question is: Considering Weta Digital's work on Avatar and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Industrial Light and Magic's work on the Transformers films, which company's work do you think is more impressive? I personally think that Industrial Light and Magic's work on the Transformers films is more impressive than Weta Digital's work on Avatar and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. My reasons are as follows:

• Though the types of characters that each company animated are different (the Na'vi and the Apes are organic while the Transformers are metallic), I believe that ILM was more successful in simulating its respective character-type. The luminosity of the skin and/or fur of the Na'vi and the Apes that were animated by Weta Digital is a dead-give-away to the fact that they're CGI; something about it just makes it obvious that they aren't real. However, when you compare the Transformers to metal objects like cars and air-craft, they really do look like realistic metallic-beings.
    • While Weta Digital uses motion-capture to animate its characters, ILM animated the Transformers from scratch. Yes, ILM did use videos of martial-arts fighters as referrence, but they did not use motion-capture; in the end, everything was animated from scratch.

For these two reasons, I think that Industrial Light and Magic's work is more impressive than Weta Digital's. Just for reference, compare the following images:

Transformers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Igniting_Prime

Igniting_Prime Igniting The Battle

News Credits:
    That Optimus CGI is still better than the CGI from those 2 films and it's only from TF1. Put up some TF3 CGI and it is unbelievable how much more REAL they look. It's a shame the movie and entertainment industry doesn't applaud to the wonders ILM has done with Transformers. Absolutely incredible.

3. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

THIS

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ILM by a mile. Weta's work on Avatar was indeed impressive thanks to the style suiting the environment, but I thought it sucked on Apes. The monkeys were so very obviously CGI - and the whole point is not to make them appear so. By comparison, ILM's work on TF was mindblowing pretty much across the board. The lighting, the textures, the shadowing, the reflections... all of it really made it feel like those TF's were actually standing there beside humans in the real world. There are some obvious CGI looking shots in all the TF movies, but by and large everything looked as real as it could. And I think it'll hold up over time, unlike many other CGI laden movies of the past that looked impressive at first but quickly started to look ridiculous as the technology progressed.

The only beef I have with some of ILM's work on TF is that the bots sometimes just looked too bright and almost cartoony by comparison to their surroundings. It was in minimal doses, but I can't deny it was there.

I may not have liked the TF movies that much, but I can't downplay how awesome ILM's work was. No different than how awesome I think the sound design and music scores to each movie also were.

5. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

i'm going to have to slightly disagree, the effects of avatar compared to TF1 and 2 are superior, simply because the Background of avatar is also CGI making it simpler to blend the characters in while a lot of the Transformers sequences are real world backgrounds, but I think TF3 is the king of effects at the moment for one scene, when carly is talking to megs in the alley and his head i slightly off screen and you see carly next to his teeth, i'm not sure if that is CGI or Animatronics, and the only other time i didn't know if a character was cgi was when POTC 2 came out with Davy jones

6. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

As Far As the CGI, Transformers All The Way! I never Question if it's fake
    It looks To Real, :rock 
    I Love Weta, they do more then just CGI, they do a Ton of Sword designs,
    and they make such Beautiful Armor for the Movies, They did
    All the Effects, Miniatures,
    and Makeup for My Other All Time Favorite Movies
    The Lord of the Rings, and Narnia, And They did Awesome! BUT!
    Transformers Just Has Such Awesome CGI, To be Able to Create These
    Awesome Transformers Out Of Nothing Thats Just Awesome!

When I saw Planet Of the Apes, They Look really Good But, They also
    Looked Fake in the Real world, The Whole time While Watching
    Planet Of the Apes, I could Tell They Were Fake, the Performance by
    Andy serkis Was Outstanding He Did an Awesome Job!
    I Love All the Stuff he does, But The CGI Was Not Up to the Standard Of Transformers,
    All 3 Transformers Is One Of, If Not the Best CGI Iv'e Ever Seen
    In My Own Opinion :) 

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I never understood why people drool over Avatar.

Yes I agree that the backgrounds were epic and beautiful but the animals and Na'Vi themselves to me always looked so fake and so obviously CGI.

So yeah ILM a go go!

8. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

You think ILM Is superior to WETA? do you think TinTin might be their best?

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think it's far easier to blend CGI characters into a wholly CGI environment than it is blending CGI characters into a real environment, albeit more expensive. People tend to forget that and it could partly explain why ILM hasn't won an Academy Award for Best Visuals for their work on this trilogy. This is why ILM's work impresses me even more. No disrespect intended to WETA, but ILM really opened up my eyes about CGI and how it interacts in physically real environments. The quality may have dipped a little in ROTF, but that can be attributed to how rushed the entire movie was. With more time and better preparation, TF1 and DOTM easily stand out among the rest.

10. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Face it, when you have seen the CGI in transformers...nothing can ever beat it.

11. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me, WETA has stolen much of ILM's thunder over the last decade. But I swear there is a visual difference in their work.

ILM's work seems to often be more painterly, where as WETA's style looks more...gritty. That gritty style of theres puts me in mind of the look of some FX work in the 80's.

At the moment, I think WETA's strength is its work in the field of motion-capture. ILM has done some stuff there, but it feels like they focus moreso on keyframe animation. That was the route they chose to go with Transformers.

I have noticed that with ILM, when they're under the gun to complete a project, oftentimes you can see the kinks in their armor...and I saw alot of that on ROTF. Some characters moved almost too smoothly. I think because they had more time on DOTM, they were able to get right alot of the FX work, and bring back more of a stateliness to some of the Autobot's movements that was seen in the first one.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually think the CGI in ROTF and DOTM look less real than the first one.

In Planet of the Apes, the CGI was good on an "interacting with the real objects around them" level, but you could definitely tell they're fake.

13. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Honestly, I like Weta better then ILM, and that isn't slam against ILM because they do awesome effects work; I just think Weta does it better. The Transformers look awesome and look like they could exist in the real world, but they have so many moving parts that makes them super expensive and limits their screen time. Weta, they do fantastic effects that don't limit screen time.

The apes in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", they looked and moved like real apes. Weta's mo-capping is phenomenal and the fact that they don't use a computer for everything and still use practical effects in an age where computers are seen as the be end to end all, is an absolute credit and shows their dedication to their craft. Not to mention the fact that they were able to keep effects in "District 9" to under $30 million and still make them look amazing, is super cool.

Weta is an special effects studio that delivers amazing special effects, everytime.

14. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    I have to disagree with you. The aliens in avatar look absalutly breath-taking. Don't get me wrong I will take Transformers any day over Avatar but, I think ILM has done something no other company would have been able to do.

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Wait WETA did Distirct 9?

Ok in that case I change my vote! Those things were by far the most real looking aliens I've ever seen in any movie ever!

16. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Yep, and the effects for it were cheap too. Weta do the effects for every Peter Jackson movie; they did the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the King Kong remake, and they're doing the effects for the Tin Tin movies.

17. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    I don't think I will EVER understand how The Golden Compass won best visual effects (I have seen the film, and the effects are nowhere near like TF1's) Then again, iirc, TF1 wasn't even nominated at the BAFTA's.
    I think I prefer ILM to Weta (although the aliens District 9 were incredible) probably because with Avatar, most of the film was CGI, there wasn't much CGI with the human scenes, and when there were humans in the jungle, such as the bit with Sigourney Weaver and the navi sitting in a circle, she didn't look like she was there. In Transformers, it was set in a live action environment, and the robots at times really did look as though they were actually there. There were some iffy bits, granted, such as the rooftop explosion, but I personally think the effects were more stunning for the time
    Although talking about District 9...how in the hell did that NOT win best visual effects

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If we are going to compare Weta and ILM I think we need be able to compare any films they did and not just cherry pick so we can give one side or the other the edge.

Both companies do insanely top notch work and both companies are always pushing the limits of what can be done with special effects.

I think I've got to give my slightest of edges though between the two to Weta. The Lord of the Rings was just insanely impressive with how Weta was able to handle huge creatures. The battles in Lord of the Rings handled massive in a scale that have made every film battle since then look like a minor scrimmage. I think Weta gets a bit of edge in that their facial motion capture brings CGI characters a little more alive.

19. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

All of the effects in Lord of the Rings look extremely fake. There's no reason to even bring them up. We're talking about realism, here.

20. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes was extraordinary. Some truly photo-real CGI at work. I personally think WETA have already got the visual effects Oscar in the bag. The scenes when Caesar is in the ape sanctuary and its showing all the apes getting up to their own business in the playground. It just looks sublime and like a wildlife documentary.

I feel upset that ILM’s amazing work in the Transformers films still hasn’t had the recognition it deserves, but take solace in the fact that if they lose out to WETA for Apes, at least it’s going to a visually phenomenal and well deserved piece of work, unlike The Golden Compass. That was just a joke. ILM should have won the award for TF1 hands down. End of.

Transformers will have its day one day. Maybe for TF6. :)