Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. 100% Mackem

100% Mackem Banned

Not bad, I'm going to order a couple soon !

3. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Saw these the other day and was like 'Avatar? Isn't that coming out next year?' Might have to pick one up next time I see them.

4. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

James Cameron Avatar

Anyone seen some reviews of the A.M.P suit? It looks good. So does that Halo 3 hornet look-a-like. But I am not sure if they are worth the price tag. I mean, only pictures can do so much. I want to see it play value.

5. Maximum Burn

6. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    However cool the AMP looks, this line is going to rot on the pegs at a Pirates of the Caribbean level.

Also, that "FanzReviews" review was PAINFUL.

7. Maximum Burn

I know but I haven't seen the hornet Halo 3 thingie.

It's seems nice and comparable to the Rise of Cobra Dragonhawk.

It just some of these are...really out there. Blue tall cat humnoids? Freaky.

8. Kaze100

Kaze100 Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought an Avatar AMP suit to show us if a GI Joe figure will work? Just wondering if it was compatible with the Joe line.

Thanks!

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have an AMP suit, and it's just....ok. Not worth $20 IMO.

10. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Does the AMP suit feel kind of unsubstantial? I ask because I picked up the box yesterday and it felt like it was empty. It was hard to believe a robot toy was inside for as light as it was. It looks cool though.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The only way i can describe it is that it feels like a Mattel toy. Could have been better, feels kinda cheap. Needs a couple more points of articulation and paint apps to seem awesome. The hands are molded in place and can't even hold the weapon all that well, though I'm sure the boiling water trick would help that, so it's not a deal breaker.

12. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

^^^Exactly. I definitely don't think it's worth the $20 price point. Maybe if it were on clearance for $10, it wouldn't be a bad deal. I was able to fit a Cobra Commander in the cockpit, but it took some work. Destro is a little too tall for it, I think.

13. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

James Cameron's "Avatar" Mattel figures

Hey everyone. Since nobody else seems to be talking about these i might as well bump this thread. With James Cameron's Avatar just a week's release away, i would think that some people here would begin to take notice into the toy line that Mattel has prepared to promote the movie.

Heres some pics of the toy line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kind of have mixed feelings about them. My bro saw these at TRU and seems fairly gung ho about getting the Thanator (that lion predator creature). I however, kind of disagree and would have liked another company take up the license and get some more paint details and articulation into these figures.

The 3 inch human and alien naivi figures in particular look terrible..... The paintjobs and articulation seem to be very lacking looking more like figures from yester year..... And for the price they charge these figures at i find its a tough sell. Those digital Itags dont do it for me.

Is anyone here planning to get these anytime soon?

P.S.
    My bro wants to get the Thanator figure tommorow. If he does i'll get him to post a short review around here. heh.

14. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  15. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

The price is only thing that kills it for me personally.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mattel learned only 1 thing from Hasbro on this:
    "shrink the toy, UP the price."

I got the RDA Gunship yesterday. And the I-tag gimmick seems like the excuse they used for the $26 this toy cost. Shoulda left that out, gave a figure instead.

the toy is about as solid as the RoC Dragonhawk heli.
    But i am leaving off those guns that are on the sides of the nose- they make an otherwise kick ass vehicle look like those latter 80s Joe vehicles with way too many weapons. kinda like putting triceratops horns on a sabertooth tiger, ya know?
    a single cannon under the nose is not sci-fi, but looks better than those guns.

I haven't tried putting my Roc Wild Bill in it and I doubt it would fit. I would think Sigma 6 figs are a better fit.

One last comment. There were quite a few of the Avatar vehicles on the shelf (the shelf was full) but NONE of the boxes were sealed.
    I got the gunship that came in a box with just 1 small flap undone. all the others had 1 or more unsealed. the glue was cheap and didn't hold well. They shoulda went with tabs and tape like TFs or RoC vehicles.

I like the Gunship, but am putting off that mecha until after Christmas.
    The figures can rot, for all i care.

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really want th gunship since it is VERY similar to a GI Joe ship, but I can't justify the price they want.

18. 100% Mackem

100% Mackem Banned

I like the packaging on these figures, at first I'll probably get one or two of the smaller figures then as someone has already said I'll wait for the price to drop on the Creatures/Vehicles rather than pay full price...

19. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
  20. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know a lot of people either don't like or are picky about video reviews, but I thought I'd share two reviews I've done on the small scale figures. There will be at least one more video review. The next one will be of 'Neytiri' by 12/14/09 sometime in the evening at the latest.

YouTube - Avatar - Jake Sully

YouTube - Avatar - Avatar Jake Sully

I've just recently moved, and am still trying to get the lighting right as well as a decent looking background. Otherwise, I hope these vids will be at least a little helpful/informative.

Overall, these figures are not bad at all. Far better than the 'Speed Racer' garbage Mattel put out last year. Better quality than the new MMPR figures that have come out not too long ago, and they are also better than the small 2009 Star Trek movie figures in many ways. Yeah, there's not "ab-crunch" articulation, and no wrist articulation, but you still do get a lot in everything else. Frankly, I don't really miss the ab crunch, and the wrists not moving doesn't bother me too much for some reason. The lanky-ness of the Na'vi characters makes one think they are fragile, but they're pretty sturdy for what they are, and stand up reasonably well. Some characters hold their weapons better than others. Avatar Jake holds his spear very well, but Neytiri can't hold her bow worth a poop. She can hold the spear, so it's not a total loss. The over-sized stands are a bit too large for my tastes, but they do look interesting. I think they're pretty decent, some better than others. :)