Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jackets, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Yeah- just like how Revenge of the Fallen proves that if you have a shitty plot but pretty robots that fight you can make a shitload of money, too. Because people like it when there's a shitty plot- oh wait, I guess that isn't true, is it?

People don't like boring things, they like pretty things. Avatar was pretty. A visual orgasm. The characters and story SUCKED. Just because it drew upon every cliche doesn't mean it was bad- cliches work because they can evoke emotions like anticipation and excitement- but they're still overused.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, that's your opinion, because ROTF did suck, and Avatar drew its story elements (as many have pointed out the obvious) from a story that didn't suck, and has been retold many times before, because it is obviously an interesting plot point for a movie. In your opinion Avatar was only pretty, but obviously since I exist and can say that I enjoy avatar not only for its visuals, but also because I like the characters (particularly Sully and Grace) then your opinion isn't fact.

Your opinion also indicates that you know exactly why every owner of that DVD and Bluray that recently outsold Dark Knight was thinking when they bought it. And I'm pretty sure you don't, unless you're a character from Lost or something that knows everyone's intentions.

Since I bought it because I simply enjoyed the adventure the movie took me on and the company of the characters Cameron created, then I'm sure there are others who feel the same way, thus, boring is extremely relative, and you assume too much if you think that you are stating a fact.

Citizen Kain is a masterpiece, showing off how powerful the camera can be, and how visually a camera angle can tell a different story and put a character in a different light. After watching it once, any subsequent viewing is "boring". Sure I can burn in film nerd hell for saying it, but that's just it. I'm not wrong and I'm not right. You claiming that everyone who loved Avatar only did so because of visual orgasm is absolutely wrong.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You're all thinking about this totally wrong.

People don't go to see a film based on the story...do you want to know why? Because they don't know the story...that's why they are seeing the film.

If the film turns out to have a shitty story its too late, they have already got your money.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, that's absolutely true actually. I'll even say that I went to go watch Avatar because of what people were saying regarding it's 3D, but I bought the Bluray because I actually ended up enjoying the movie.

ROTF, I bought because it's purdy :D 

edit: Hey Recall, like my 3D Dot Game Heros Avatar? I made it using the tool.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not goin to bother getting any more into it, all I'm going to do is say "^--- this". I personally, didn't really enjoy this movie for all the reasons I mentioned before. It might not be a terrible movie, but it wasn't exciting or engaging to me. It looked nice, but that alone isn't enough to really win me over.

Seeing as he owns the rights to making the live action version of Battle Angel Alita and has openly said that he wanted his next project after Avatar to be Battle Angel Alita, that's more or less exactly what he's doing.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Point conceded then, he should either make it in the next few years or let it go.

7. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Nah, I say no to Avatar 2. Only Avatar movie is enough! BTW didn't James Cameron confirmed to direct battle angels?

8. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Why all the thundersmurf haters?

9. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...I'd watch that

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except it takes what..3 to 6 years to make a trip to Pandora? Let's call in the marines! :p 

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    6 years.

If I were to think up a human revenge plot: I can see it now...

Humans: Ok, we just got kicked out of our facility on Pandora, we need to amass a huge army and come back. (6 years later, just arriving to earth) Let's get every soldier we have and attack!!!! (6 more years later, arrive on Pandora to attack, only to see they are completely outnumbered by Na'vi and everything else.

Jake: What did you expect...we knew it took ya 6 years to travel to earth and 6 back, so we got the army built up to retaliate...

Yeah, that element of suprise doesn't work so much.

I do like the idea behind the left over toxic stuff, but the calling Marines to help the people who kicked them out in the first place...doesn't work so much. I think, if there is gonna be any antagonist...it will be either: One of the other Na'vi tribes, or a rebel group within Jakes. I just don't see that 6 years to travel to Pandora, helping to make humans the bad guys of a second Avatar.

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    They might as well just stop f***ing around and throw some Aliens and Predators into the movie. Human ship is returning home, radios for backup, gets intercepted by an Alien ship, Humans escape, Aliens trace the origin of the Human ship to Pandora and go there. Alien ship is secretly being followed by a Predator ship. Aliens start fighting the Na'vi, Predators show up and start fighting, huge three-way battle, Predator falls in love with hot Alien but love is forbidden, Jake somehow syncs up with the Aliens and Predators and initiates communication that eventually leads to peace, end with huge Alien/Predator wedding, Hot Toys makes awesome action figures, no humans are insulted/betrayed/whatever, everyone's happy.

:p 

13. Blackout2505

Blackout2505 Well-Known Member

Think of the poor Navi if we throw in predators and xenomorphs AND marines. There will be no Navi survivors =P

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I don't know if there would be any survivors from any side. :lol 

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well at least we'll know how to end all those series of movies :lol 

16. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Throw in Godzilla, Terminator, and Robocop and I think we may have the biggest franchise-crossover-clusterfuck in all of existence. :lol 

Interesting story idea. I like Avatar not for the story, but for it's visuals. I love artwork, I love looking at concept art for movies before the come out, and when they do and I'm sitting in my theater chair my mind usually ends up being blown. I love the look of the scenery, the characters, background settings, the creatures, the plant life etc. Avatar is almost like watching a video tour through an art museum for me.

Just look at this for example
    [​IMG]
    Major kudos to the artists who designed all this and the animators who edited this entire shot. If I saw this in person I'd shit myself in amazement. Honestly how could anyone say that is not beautiful? This is what I want to do for a career. I'd love to sketch and paint settings like this.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    So, Smurfs Vs. Snorks?

18. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Producer Jon Landau on "Avatar 2"

Source: Empire
    November 12, 2010

Based on James Cameron's previous comments, many people thought he was saying that Avatar 2 would take place in the ocean of Pandora.

He said: "Part of my focus in the second film is in creating a different environment – a different setting within Pandora. And I'm going to be focusing on the ocean on Pandora, which will be equally rich and diverse and crazy and imaginative, but it just won't be a rain forest. I'm not saying we won't see what we've already seen; we'll see more of that as well."

"Avatar" films producer Jon Landau has clarified Cameron's statement to Empire, however.

"Water will be a part of the movie, but it won't be all of the movie, " Landau said. "There's been a lot of rumors that it's an underwater movie – it's not. Just like the Floating Mountains, and the Na'vi's interaction with the mountains, were a part of Avatar, it'll be the same type of thing."

Landau also added that Avatar 2 won't end with a cliffhanger or lead-in to the third film.

"The next [film] will kick off where the next last one ended, but, just like 'Avatar' resolved itself and doesn't feel like a set-up to another movie, you don't want 'Avatar 2' to feel like a set up for 3," he said.

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Work together?

Okay first, xenomorphs have no ships. They don't seem quite intelligent enough to build technology. Predators? Na'vi would be the ultimate prey. The preds wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand for awesome safaris to Pandora.

But a sequel to that tepid little movie? Meh. It was on cable recently and without a big-screen or 3D there's literally almost nothing to recommend about the film.

What I'd love to see?
    [​IMG]

Time to purge some xenos...

- Coeloptera

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Only if Hudson and Hicks are in it.