automorph question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by metcar, Jan 11, 2008.

1. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

i dunno if this has been discussed before sorry if it has.I was wondering if the new universe classics and animated figures would feature automorph like the movie figs or if it's a soley movie fig affair.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    As far as we know, the Animated figures have an automorph like feature, but apparently done better than with the movie line. As for the new Universe line, we don't know yet. We barely know half of the figures we'll be getting in the first run of that series, let alone what features each figure will contain.

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I think the automorph is pretty much a TFTM figure gimmick. The original Classics line didn't have a gimmick so I would assume that 2.0 would be the same...

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Personaly I hope there is not Gimmick like that in Classics because they are CLASSICS. If the G1s didnt have it then the new Classics shouldnt either. They are great the way they are now.

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Going by that logic, then the majority of the new UNIVERSE figures should be bricks!
    DN

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Automorph as a gimmick, from my understanding, has always existed, just now it has a name. I can think as far back as TF Armada where you had toys like Smokescreen whose head would flip round when you positioned the robot mode crane, or Energon Megatron who had the spring loaded feet that popped out when you pushed his knees into place. Heck, Cybertron Primus and his Omega Lock is only slightly different in that it uses a key instead of just moving the panels.

TFTM as a line just makes more extensive use of the gimmick across more toys and gives it a name. I seriously doubt it will ever go away, because as far as TF gimmicks go, it's one of the most impressive ones visually (I said "whoa" out loud first time I TF'ed my Movie Bumblebee, and watched the panels move on their own into the right spots). I'd have no problem if it stuck about.

7. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

yeah i was hoping the classics line would do without doesn't seem fitting

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Armada? Pfft, Top Spin and Twin Twist were the original auto-morphing TF's.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    True. But I think the auro-morph shouldn't be a line-wide gimmick again. Maybe popping up once or twice is ok but not for every TF.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It wasn't really line wide in the Movie line, either. Some like Ratchet didn't really make much use of it (sure, leg panels, but it wasn't really all that big a deal), others like Swindle and Longarm didn't have any real Automorph gimmicks to speak of. I'll admit though it was a lot more widespread than before, though, and with it being flagged up on the packaging you probably made the connection more than you might have done if it wasn't mentioned.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I misread the title as "animorph question." I was going to just come in and confirm that they suck.

Early Beast Wars was full of it, too. Rattrap, Terrorsaur, and all those other basics.