Automorph? Gimmick or a new trend for TF

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundatron, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Now the movie toys have been out for over a month or 2 now and the deluxes, voyagers and leaders come with automorph transformations. But what does everyone think of them? Nothing a pure gimmick we'll only see once or something that well help drive Hasbro's sales and will become more apparent in newer TF toys and more in depth automorph technology in the future.

My opinion - gimmick. Idea sounds cool on paper, but overall not exactly exciting. All the automorphs can still be done manually and none look very impressive. Though Leader Prime's is decent. Sure the automorph may skip at least one transformation step, that's all. Now I'm not saying I'm against it and it needs to be scrapped, by heavens no. If Hasbro keeps hell, keep it. Find a way to automorph g1 prime's trailer from anywhere :D . I just think it may die out like other gimmicks, targetmasters, headmasters etc.

What does everyone else think?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It'll be gone with the Animated toys. Aaron told us at the Product Panel that there wouldn't be anymore line gimmicks (at least in the foreseeable future), but that they'd be focusing on individual toy gimmicks. Part of their plan to promote individual characters.

EDIT: Also, I can't stand it. Movie toy engineering is impressive enough without it, it's probably relatively expensive and included at the expense of more paint apps/accessories/other things I'd rather have, and on most of the toys I can think of offhand, it transforms their feet/lower legs. Color me unimpressed.

3. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

What if it comes to the point where the entire robot automorphs and we are too lazy to transform transformers? That's half the fun! :eek: 

But small things like the head are fine, like with Leader Class Prime.

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

Depends on how well it's executed. If you can look at an automorph and say "that's cool" (like Ironhide), then it's worth it.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Its both a gimmick and a way they were able to make the toys as closely possible to resemble the movie versions.

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love automorph when it works and dosent bring the figure down (Ironhide, Prime) but I hate it when it brings the figure down (Blackout, Old Bumblebee)

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I had to take Blackout apart because of the automorph, Because of that i can't stand it

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That doesn't mean it wont be used. The interviews at Botcon revealed a new Blurr would be in the series, I think automorph would be a great gimmick to show his speed, on a simpler Transformer figure it could have a very dynamic effect on how fast he goes from one mode to another. So long as it's done well, like Ironhide's or Starscream's.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I've got all the mainline figures available at retail right now (and have Arcee, 08 Bumblebee & Dreadwing arriving next week from BBTS) and, while I was initially impressed by the automorph features I now find them to be more annoying than anything. It'd be alright if you didn't have to fix half of them, but outside of Leader Megatron, 74 Bumblebee, Jazz and Ironhide I've been agitated by most of them in some way or another so I was very happy to hear that the gimmick would go away with Animated.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    From what I may or may not have learned at Botcon, it appears quite possibly that automorph won't necessarily be confined to just the movie line.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My favorite "automorph" feature is on Energon Skyblast. Simple and effective. Of course they didn't call it that back then.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I absolutely LOVE the automorph gimmick (and I generally HATE gimmicks).

It is quite impressive when it works, and tends to not get in the way.

The only bot where it really is a problem is Blackout, and you can still change him manually.

13. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would think Automorph is the result of the Tomy - Takara merger. Tomy toys like zoids are known to "move" or have gears which move something. For one thing, it makes the transformation the "feature" of the toy.

On the other end, I'm not too sure how automorph will survive a 5yr old kid....

14. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Automorph is the best thing ever. I hope they keep it around for a million years. It's not a gimmick, just a better way of transforming. No way Voyager Prime's legs would have worked otherwise as one example.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im kinda torn actually. i love the gimmick, but it takes away from poseability.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You're absolutely right, and I didn't really even consider that. We might indeed see it in a few toys.

And I agree that on a simpler figure (like another poster pointed out, Skyblast) it'd be cool. I'm still just not feeling it on many of the larger movie toys. I think Wreckage is probably the only one I dig it on.

17. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I enjoy Automorph too. It's quite effective and not troublesome like the keys and mini-cons. I definitely hope this gimmick will return in the future and improved

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, its a gimmick for the movie line...in some cases it worked such as Optimus and Ironhide and it come like Blackout it doesn't.

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I will say this for Automorph - it's the only Transformers gimmick that we've had in YEARS that actually enhances the main gimmick of Transformers without really badly impacting the overall figure. That said, aside from Ironhide's and Prime's, I could live without it. I do like the concept quite a bit though. Hopefully they don't do away with it altogether, but hopefully they never make it a full line requirement again. Some figures could use it, and some would be much better off without it.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From the movie figures I have I like it.
    I find it doesn't detract to much from the overall transformation and has been put to good use on figures like Robo-Vision Prime where the fiddly little panels all fold into place easily.