Autocracy #12

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Jun 20, 2012.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just read this issue before heading out to work. Have to say I didn't like it at all. It felt like I was reading the IDW adaptation of the 86 TF movie. One or two throw away lines referencing the movie is fine, but to have them so blatantly used throughout Autocracy as a whole has been annoying and unoriginal. Not sure how to use spoiler tags so I won't comment on what actually happened yet, but it totally ruined the series for me.

I bought the first 10 issues of Autocracy during the lull between the releases of MTMTE and have bought the last 2 only to complete the series. Wish I hadn't wasted my cash on this series.

2. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMG $12, personally i dont think it's a waste. I've enjoyed the series, and recognize that there is only SO MUCH they can do with 8 pages per issue. Yes, the dialogue is condenced, but with only 100ish pages to tell the story (and considering all the characters they've included), i Think its worth the money.

Beyond that, i've actually enjoyed it. I think Livio's art really suits a wartorn environment

On another note, i bought the comic today, and it hasnt shown up in "my comics", but i still have the option to Buy it, again. sent a message to comixology, just thought i would mention it in case anyone else had a similar problem.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I thought it was a great way to end it. I like the movie nods. It was the way people would rather see that part. I loved the art style the whole way through.

4. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I'm still not sure what to make of the Optimus/ Megatron showdown but I think I liked it. Regardless it is a nice series in general and a good conclusion to the previous stories.

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe my initial wording was a bit too harsh, but the writing just felt too corny to me at times. An Easter egg here or there is fine, but it felt like I was being beaten over the head with the TF movie-isms. A good point is there was plenty of action though.

I just can't see how being unoriginal is what most people would want.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. That felt like Flint ran out of ideas and just wrote what he felt the fans wanted. But I just rolled my eyes though out that whole last issue.

the best part of this series was Zeta Prime.

7. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh. A meaningless conclusion to a meaningless story. A giant gun that kills everything? I know Flint is a saturday morning cartoon writer, but come on. And a ripoff of the 86 movie scene, created to "redeem" Hot Rods action there? Really? Whatever sequel this might spawn, I hope it's way better, and maybe written by someone else.

Roberts...? Barber?

8. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The conclusion did seem a bit weak, but I'm not upset that I bought it. Definitely worth $12.

I wonder if
    Megatron's weapon's cache will show up again at some point. We didn't actually see it destroyed, and Prowl is kind of crazy now.

9. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I didn't like it, mainly because I somehow doubt IDW is going to reprint Collection Vol. 1 to include it. But something that REALLY got under my skin in the last issue was "You followed your heart"...... How does that statement make sense for a robot, If you said "Spark" that would be fine, but the entire issue just sounded like the best dialogue available from a Saturday AM cartoon spun together. Also the inclusion of Metroplex seemed like this weak FOC Tie-in since in current IDW he's all but unknown.

10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Not a bad read, the earlier issues were much more interesting than the final chapters.

Echoing my own comments earlier on, but I was under the impression that Roberts "Chaos Theory" two parter established that

A)Optimus first met Megatron at Rodion Police station, then again at a showdown in Sherma Bridge--they meet up much earlier in Autocracy than that and it's highly unlikely either would forget their taking down Zeta.

B)Optimus "accidentally" got the matrix from Zeta\after Zeta was abruptly killed. His exact words were like "not sure if chosen [by the matrix]\given [the matrix] is the correct term". It made me appreciate him because it read as if the he was just a placeholder for the matrix, and all the decisions, battles and all were his choices because he was a great bot from the get go, not because he was a mythical warrior. Yet in Autocracy he's labeled as the chosen one. I thought Roberts' pain of acquiring the matrix was that he was incompatible [unlike Hot Rod], not due to the fact that autobots were suffering at the time.

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Except that he was physically compatible, as established in Chaos Theory. He got rebuilt specifically to house it.

I'd say if anything, it just separates Optimus and Rodimus as leaders of different eras. For Prime the Matrix is a burden, for Rodimus it's a beacon.

12. rodimus_dilbert

rodimus_dilbert Active Member

I don't think this series added anything of value at all an just added more continuity problems. It was a dismal example of writing by an abysmal writer. You can't use "they only had eight pages" as an excuse. there has been much better TF fan fiction done on a shorter amount of space. I don't know why IDW keeps giving livio work, as it's just horrendous, and doesn't improve it only gets more jarring and painful to look at. I'm glad this series is over, and I hope they keep flint and livio out of anything in the future as they bring nothing to the table of any worth.

13. ninja6fett

ninja6fett Covert Ops

I didn't hate it. The Lugnut cameo was nifty, hopefully he comes around in current fiction soon.

I didn't really like the movie stuff. It seemed shoehorned in. Though the different solution to the situation from the movie was kind of funny.

It doesn't hold a candle to MTMTE or RID though.

14. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    eh this was just alright, didn't hate it.

Nifty pictures though

15. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

I thought that idea immediately when I saw that page! It's
    Prowl
    , so what should we say more?
    He must have thought Zeta's weapons would be good tool to win the war, however brutal those weapons are.
    And maybe, now he would think it's time to suppress everybody with those weapons.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I used to love the quotes and homages to the final battle between Prime and Megatron from the original Movie, but good God man, there's only so many times you can rehash it before people start hating it.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Was very cool. But the contradictions to earlier IDW stories made me wonder if it was in another continuity or retcons or just mistakes?

18. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

That was sort of disappointing.

Overall, this series has had a couple of shining moments (Optimus' inner monologue while getting the Matrix for one) but it overall is minimal. Minimal dialogue, minimal character development.

I think the title to this series should be "Autocracy: The Vindication of Hot Rod". The writers seemed much more interested with trying to justify his actions (going all the way back to rewriting his appearance in the '86 movie, no less).

And am I the only one who has a lot of problems comprehending what's happening in the art? I have a love-hate relationship with it. At times I sit back and marvel at it, and other times the murky colors and bot designs really put me off. I have a really time being swept up in it compared to other books. It worked a lot better in Chaos.

P.S. I can't help but see Zeta and think that thing on his face is a big, handlebar mustache that he sits back and twirls when he isn't killing people.

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

After having bought the first 2-3 digital issues, my TPB came and I just finished it. Overall I liked the series, although I do hear and understand people's gripes with the overused '86-isms. I definitely laughed out loud over the last few scenes, although I wish the foreword didn't spoil it. Art was better in digital form as it was brighter, and sometimes I didn't understand what was happening in some panels, but overall I love the tone/look. I wish faces were drawn better though.

Honestly I liked the dialogue. I liked how Bumblebee was portrayed here as a competent warrior. I loved the Magnus/Prime scene where the two of them sparred early on. Starscream was spot on. Loved the hint of Prowl's machinations. Yes, it did feel Saturday morningish at times, but it's just what the doctor ordered on this Sunday afternoon. Cheers to the team.

Edit: I am slowly starting to lose track of the different pre-war stories though. Between this, the novels, the video games, and TF Prime, the pre-war stories are all similar but have slight differences. Lol can Hasbro make a flow chart please?

20. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

He appeared in Spotlight Metroplex and the Ironhide mini. He just hasn't been seen for a while.