Autocracy #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Matty, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just read Autocracy #1 via comiXology. Anybody else decide to purchase this?

I really enjoyed this. Without giving too much away for those who haven't read it yet, it definitely has the Chaos feel to it, but the art just seems much more cleaner and lighter; in other words you can actually tell what's going on. The tone of the story itself is very dark and we're going to be seeing a different side to Optimus Prime.

Overall, I would highly recommend picking this up. It's only $.99 and it seems like it's going to be a fantastic read.

2. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just downloaded it, but I'll have to read it later. Any word on how long this is going to run?

3. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    12 issues, I believe.

I read it, and liked it. Livio's art works better here than it did in Chaos, IMO.

4. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I'm down for this. I live in a rural area, so picking up paper comics is a hassle and I'm going to follow RiD and MTMtE digitally too, so it only makes sense.

I'll post comments when I read it after work today.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Read it. Dug it. The writing is pretty good, though I'm still not a huge fan of Livio's art. I absolutely loved Chaos Theory, so it is nice to see a continuation of that story arc.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Issue #1 was pretty good, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. The only thing that really stuck me odd was
    Swindle's speech when talking to the Autobots about the revolution. It doesn't really seem like him to me, though it could just be an act

7. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
  8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I really didn't care for it. It felt like the writers read the wiki for the setting and watched an episode of the Sunbow cartoon for the characterization, which makes sense because one of them was Flint Dille. I probably won't buy the next issue.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dug it. This was my first digital purchase and I really liked the reader. I agree too, Livio's art is much better and clearer than in Chaos.

10. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I'd imagine the art looks better because you're seeing it exactly as he is seeing it, digitally, on a monitor. When you print things you have to deal with issues like ink density and dot gain ~ things almost ALWAYS look darker printed then onscreen, unless you have a really high-end and properly calibrated monitor and great pre-press technician.

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    It was alright, I guess. I can pretty much guarantee that this will look better on your preferred digital reading device of choice for the reasons Artiepants pointed out. IDW almost always prints their comics too dark, and Livio's stuff probably needs some TLC at the print shop to look it's best. My main complaint about TDoOP was how damned dark and murky it was...

Did I like it enough to come back? I dunno. The price point is okay (I guess- about what 4 or 5 issues of the actual comic would cost me subscribing thru mailorder)... the content was there... it was technically competent (altho' Livio has a long way to go in story telling clarity. Still. Brighter monitors and glowy eyes and War of Cybertron-y bits do nothing to improve storytelling clarity)... but it didn't really move me. In fact, it sort of put me down a cynical path that I won't spell out here... because I'm trying to be positive about IDW's take on the brand... but having been burnt by them in various ways in the past, I couldn't help but to draw a fairly cynical conclusion about this project.

Anyway... if they can somehow figure out how to calibrate this for print sometime, and the price isn't crazy, then I might check the rest of it out.

12. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I liked it. The art wasn't the greatest, but it was a lot better than what we have been getting the last year or so.
    As far as the story goes, it has my interest. I'd like to see how Orion
    goes from being a "Our way or else" asshole to "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

13. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved it, IDW is on quite the streak lately (3 books and counting).

14. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Sadly, I was actually disappointed with this mini issue. :( 

I think the art is a big hang up for me. I don't dislike it, but I don't think this style is best suited to sequential art. The art makes the story flow seem slow and plodding, even when battles or other fast paced things are happening. Comic art usually needs to express life and movement, and this art doesn't, IMHO.

That being said, there were some beautiful panels in here. I love the shot of Silverbolt flying above the city on pg 4, and the shot of Orion aiming the gun at Swindle on pg 7. I'm always impressed with the beautiful colors and mood of Livio's art, I just wish the sequentials worked better.

Story wise, several of the bots seemed out of character. Orion Pax was surprisingly brutal and heavy-handed in this. Previous issues portrayed him as a tough cop who gets the job done, but here he seems like little more than a knuckle-cracking thug. Flying into a rage and almost blowing a captive's head off in front of a bunch of civilians? That doesn't mesh with what we saw of him in the previous issues set in this time period (not to mention that "Pax" means "peace". Not too peaceful there, Orion). Swindle seemed a little OOC too. Since when does he care about revolution and uprisings? He's here to make a buck, not give speeches about how oppressed the masses are. I can see the logic in trying to make the Autobots look bad by goading them into acting like thugs, but I can't see Swindle doing that at the risk of his own life. I think a different Decepticon would have been a better choice here.

Random pet peeve: This happened from time to time in the old Marvel comics, and I noticed it here too...the bot who is supposedly a Transformer but looks NOTHING like one. Is this guy supposed to be a TF, or an offworlder? Is he supposed to represent someone who suffered a terrible injury and couldn't afford to be rebuilt properly? Why is he so non-Transformery looking? It's not a big deal or anything, but these guys tend to be fourth wall breaking for me because they look so out of place.
    [​IMG]

15. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I thought it was pretty good, if a bit pricey. It's certainly in the vein of MTMTE (i.e. better than most of IDW's previous efforts) so I'll keep on it since I don't buy that many comics these days.

Have to agree with Greyley too, some of the background bot designs look pretty out of place o.0

16. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always assumed they're non-Cybertronian, and I like when they show up from time to time. Makes the universe seem larger, in a Mos Eisley Cantina kind of way. From the artist's perspective, it probably gives them a chance to stretch their fingers when they're able to draw something a little different along side all of the sameness.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For me, Swindle's speech was right. By having the civilians see him get beat by Pax, and then hear his little speech, he could sway quite a few to the Decepticon cause, and thus more customers t9o buy weapons from him. Now, how he knew Bumblebee would stop Pax from killing him is beyond me.
    As for Pax being OOC compared to other flashbacks, all I can think of is maybe he's traumatized after having the "hole in his chest" (Matrix chamber).

18. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He did mention that he didn't feel as much in his spark after being rebuilt, seems pretty self explainatory to me on why Orion seemed ooc

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

All of you can say what you want about the art. I like it and I'm better than all of you because I'm able to enjoy it. I don't think it could've been colored any better and it's Livio's best work so far.

20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    damnit, why cant i find where to buy it?