Autobots had powers in G1 too

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    In the original story, the war had been going for so long and they were so drained of energy that many of them couldn't use their powers anymore. Knowing Ironhide, his armor power was probably permanently disabled from battle. Guys like Prowl and Jazz, otherwise skilled combatants, had to resort to firearms. They probably decided long ago that was the most efficient use of energy.

But a few of them have managed to keep theirs. It wouldn't surprise me if they purposely kept Mirage in top priority condition because his power is so useful. Others like Brawn and Cliffjumper kick in internally, so it's not as taxing. Trailbreaker is an interesting case because his power, one would think, uses a massive amount of energy.

Thoughts?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    if I remember correctly, the powers were created by the Marvel writers so that the Transformers would be more like conventional superheroes.

3. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

They used them all over the place in the first three episode chunk, then most of them just never used them again, they even stopped using Jazz's grappling hooks and stuff, they probably just got lazy.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Not quite following this one. Which G1 continuity are we talking about?

5. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

*bonk!*

Ouch!

Sorry...that ball just hit me when it was thrown out of left field....

Anyway, what's this about Ironhide having "armor power"??

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    He's comparing Animated Ironhide, Jazz, and Prowl with their G1 counterparts, implying that if they didn't have to conserve energy, they might've had the same powers.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Some of what I remember from G1:

Autobots:

Jazz - grappling hook
    Sideswipe - rocket pack
    Mirage - turn invisible
    Trailbreaker - force field
    Hound - Holograms
    Brawn - super strength
    Cliffjumper - glass gas
    Ironhide - lliquid nitrogen

Decepticons:

Skywarp - teleport
    Rumble - piledrivers
    Thundercracker - sonic boom

8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Sideswipe had piledrivers as well. And while I wouldn't have thought to include it because it's just the weapons they posessed, Sideswipe had a flamethrower, Prowl had Acid pellets, and don't forget Smokescreen's smoke.

On a side note, Animated and G1 are two entirely different series. There's no need to theoretically force retrofit an idea to tie it in. Two different series for two different generations. It almost seems like a tag line to convince more G1er Animated haters to switch over and like the show. My friend Tom used to do the same thing when he tried to get me to listen to a new band, always making a reference to them sounding "80's Metal" in certain parts, though I listened to a wide range of music. If I'm wrong then I'm an ass. If I'm right, then it's the wrong way to do it. That and not every Animated hater is a G1er. Generalizations suck

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    A whole lot of the G1 guys had powers mentioned in their tech specs. It's what made them so awesome. They weren't just robots, they were robots with incredible abilities! Animated simply picked up on that element of the mythos and played it up. Granted, not all the abilities, or G1 homage characters, are the same as they were back in G1. But some are close. Others, like Ratchet's magnetic abilities, are plain cool.

10. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Dont forget Windchargers magnetic abilities

11. WingedWeasel

WingedWeasel Well-Known Member

I started a topic similar to this on another board. I am working on some stuff that I was trying to clarify if the powers were unique to each TF or not. Presumably unless you concoct some crazy fan explanation there are multiples of each ability somewhere. We are talking about a species that has existed for millions of years and probably contains billions of "people" that are never mentioned. Although it is fun to imagine the ones we see as being "superheroes" in that they have unique abilities/powers that aren't present among other transformers.

But yes many G1 bots and cons had powers listed on their tech specs (as was mentioned). It was even a big deal in the episode where Megatron absorbed the powers of all the other decepticons to defeat prime 1 on 1. I think that happened in season 1.

As to how everything relates to animated I don't have the slightest. I am waiting until whole seasons are on DVD to pick them up.

12. surak777

surak777 Autobot Musician TFW2005 Supporter

Starscream had null rays, pretty much like what we call EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) that disrupted technology
    And also Megatron's fusion cannon supposedly tapped the power of a Black hole/singularity
    (FYI from a mathmatical point of view he could have killed everyone and everything in the Milky Way galaxy and then taken out a few stars, or at least shortened the stars life cycles by several billion years with that kind of fire power)
    Soundwave had the cassettes (which I believe chill in Prime's trailer when not in use and when prime is in robot mode) (darn it ravage peed on roller's tire again)

Optimus Prime/Convoy (Mr Red, White, and Blue) Was supposedly just really smart at tactical and combat operations.
    About Jazz, you're forgeting he had the sonic powers, the speakers that can out his... (ahem) trunk. (I miss the Scatman Caruthers voice)(and it seems the Animated Soundwave has now inherited this sonic power)
    CliffJumper had the Glass Gas pellets that made metal very brittle like glass
    Wheeljack it seems to me could fly (I do remember at least 2 episodes where he was flying) maybe that was just his large scientific ego making it seem like he could fly.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No, Wheeljack can fly, and not just in the early 'toon. He's got solid rocket boosters in his arms.

One might consider Prime's 'split personality' a power in some sense. He can literally be in three places at once.

Megatron's fusion cannon can link to a black hole to fire antimatter blasts, but it's a very special occasion trick; Megatron has some form of interdimensional link circuitry housed in his chest (it's just occurred to me that this may be linked to his mass-shifting ability) which he can connect up to his fusion cannon. It's ridiculously draining, though; not something he could easily afford to miss and try again with.

Blurr, of course, is also known for his supernatural speed.

Ravage has systems than dampen electromagnetic waves that hit him, so it's virtually impossible to spot him with visual or radar scanners.

Rumble and Frenzy have their earthshaking and sonic powers respectively (I still like the rotating drum assemblies from the Marvel bios as the explanation for them; none of your magical morphing arms malarkey).

Thundercracker can produce directed sonic booms in either mode.

Silverbolt can strip electrons from the air as he flies and fire them as a bolt of white lightning from his nosecone.

Gears can leap in to the air and control his descent via compressed air jets in his feet.

The list is endless.

14. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The original Ark and Nemesis crews were the BEST of the Transformers on Cybertron, according to Simon Furman's DK guide. That's presumably why ALL of them had some sort of superpower or major skills. And that's why the powers seemed to dwindle as the series continued. TFs became "What you see is what you get" type of characters.

Optimus-Most powerful Autobot, Trailer Combat Deck and Roller
    Prowl-Best logic center
    Bluestreak-Firepower
    Sideswipe-Flight via Rocket Pack, Piledrivers
    Jazz-Lightshow and sonic effects and flamethrower
    Sunstreaker-Tough skin
    Mirage-Invisibility
    Hound-Holograms
    Ratchet-Best medic
    Ironhide-Tough skin
    Trailbreaker-Forcefield
    Wheeljack-Best Inventor, Flight via rockets in arms and wings in car mode
    Gears-Strength and flight via Compressed Air
    Windcharger-Magnetism
    Cliffjumper-Glass Gas
    Huffer-Strength and Best Engineer
    Brawn-Strength
    Bumblebee-Super Vision, high energy efficiency

Megatron-Most powerful Decepticon, Unholy firepower
    Soundwave-Hypnotism, Communications, Super hearing, Cassette warriors
    Starscream-Null ray, fastest, most skilled flyer, Space flight
    Thundercracker-Sonic Booms
    Skywarp-Teleportation
    Rumble-Earthquakes
    Frenzy-Equilibrium scrambler
    Ravage-Soundless walk, Invisibility in shadows
    Buzzsaw-Sharp beak and wings
    Laserbeak-High intesity lasers

15. WingedWeasel

WingedWeasel Well-Known Member

I still can't quite get my head around the idea that the more "mundane" powers such as holograms (mundane for a supposedly technologically advanced species that has existed for millions of years), or some of the others aren't easily replicable by the other transformers. It makes for each one having more personality and of course each being unique helps sell toys...but it still seems strange.

Powers such as megtron's black hole connection sort of make sense as a 1 of since it could be highly experimental or he hides that kind of power to himself and kills off others who learn how to replicate it. Some of the others don't sit right though. This is compounded by the fact that there are presumably upgrades at various points. Even merely out of envy you'd think there would be duplicates. Maybe there are varying power levels but there are some that one would think are "common" (beyond the obvious transforming).

Just as a species of animals on Earth (let's say....humans) are basically the same with individual quirks/mutations be they physical or mental I would guess that TF's follow a similar mold. Although of course they are built and imbued with life so that makes things more difficult. You could argue the powers are "mutations" in each transformer, however given their nature you would think that these things could be changed. Maybe not.

And now that this is only remotely on topic I'll cut it short :redface2: 

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I thought Gears's power was to bug the hell out of everyone. :D 

17. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Some of these can't REALLY be considered super powers. For instance, Cliffjumper's glass gas pellets are really from his gun and not from himself. It would be like saying a guy using a flame thrower has some special ability over fire.

I don't really consider G1's abilities super powers. They were just high tech. I think most people could be adept at using certain technologies over others. Like how some would prefer to learn magnetism and use it as opposed to someone else using pile drivers.

Plus they weren't often used as many have pointed out. The bots stuck to plain simple laser weapons most of the time or just ended up hitting each other with their fists. The powers were a rare use. Which made them that much more cooler when you were "treated" to Trailbreaker using his force field generator.

I'd rather that Animated takes the tech route to explaining their abilities rather than the super hero route.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Not at all. I think you made valid points. I'm not entirely convinced Jazz's grappling hook was really a power. It seems like a lot of bots in G1 were equipped with all sorts of random devices as the plot needed it. Whereas something like Brawn's strength, or Mirage's invisibility, couldn't necessarily be equipped.

19. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just adding to the list rather than making a new thread:

Optimus was a sharpshooter with enhanced vision. He had his energy axe too.
    Prowl had a net shooter, and acid gun.
    Bluestreak-long range too.
    Jazz-Gliding
    Mirage-Can appear to be in a different place.
    Hound-photographic memory. Aquatic abilities.
    Ratchet-all the tools the Mechanic used in the Marvel comics were Ratchet's powers.
    Ironhide- Various chemical weapons and enhanced sensors
    Trailbreaker-communication relay
    Wheeljack-Variety of experimental missiles
    Gears-IR vision
    Windcharger - near instant acceleration
    Huffer-sensors in arms
    Brawn-drill
    Bumblebee-underwater powers.

Megatron-Shrinking, has laser eyes and a gun that energizes boulders to attack Autobots!
    Soundwave-shrinking, electircal discharge arm.
    Starscream-claw hand
    Rumble-shrinking
    Frenzy-shrinking
    Ravage-shrinking, extanding arm.
    Buzzsaw-shrinking
    Laserbeak-shrinking
    Reflector - super vision, shrinking.