Autobots going bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by spica, Mar 14, 2010.

1. spica

spica Ronnie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not evil.
    I mean like badass (not in animated)

In the last year Autobots have been showed more aggressive unlike the 80 and the japanese series. For example the comics of all hail Megatron. Moviverse. (example Ironhide, Optimus)

Is this make more interesting the Autobots? Or because the writers and directors know that some nice and paceful Autobots can be easily eliminated by some big bad and crazy decepticon?

2. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

In war, nobody is nice.

I don't know, that's all I got...

3. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    because the decepticons are tougher, the autobots have to get tougher as well.

4. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    It's a Civil War that, depending on the fiction, has been ongoing anywhere from thousands of years to since the universe began just about. Waves of Transformers, eras of history, many lives brought into existance in the many possible manners TFs can utilize, only to be lost in a never ending battle.

It's one side or the other, one shall stand, one shall fall.

As the years pass and the fiction progresses in one way or another, again depending on the series, a grim outlook from some of the good guys can increase or decrease. It shouldn't surprise if every once in a while someone writes at least some of the Autobots as aggressive badasses.

5. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Because Transformers are becoming more and more an adult-oriented franchise. When I was 7 in 1984, the formulaic high-road and riding off in the sunset with some scraps was fine. Now, at 32, I'd rather see some face-ripping, pulp-beating, limb-taking brutality.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Well said, Covenant.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Fight a war lasting 9 million years + against a completely ruthless foe and see how it effects you!

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I kind of prefer some Autobots to be badasses. Heck, some of 'em can even be brutal enough to be 'Cons. However, they gotta be balanced out with medics and guys like G1 and Animated OP. You know, the compassionate ones.

9. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I generally enjoy the exploration of Autobots with questionable morality, or extreme actions.
    However, with the obvious exception of ROTF, such developments are often only superficially alluded too.

Aspects of Evil in the UK Marvel run had some potential, however it was pretty fluff, and really just a 'classics' vehicle. I get the impression if you left cartoon Cliffjumper and Mirage alone in a room long enough only one of them would walk out.

-Bugger, must have skimmed the first post. "Not evil, I mean like badass..." Which leaves me confused, as I have no idea what you consider 'badass'.
    Competent? Well armed? Vicious, yet not identifying with 'evil'?

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I like this version of Autobots more.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well it's hardly that the Decepticons have somehow gotten more powerful. Given how easy they are to take out these days I think my granny could take one of them down.

It's more that writing always reflects the time it was written in. As values change our heroes reflect the current attitude of society. Sometimes like the 80's and now it's popular to have the hero that is rather grim and leaves high body count behind them. Just look at how Alice in Wonderland was made into some sort of strange action hero film with swords a slicing.

The pendulum tends to swing back and forth so for now it's on the aggressive side where heroes solve a problem by killing it. One day the pendulum will swing the other way and heroes will head more toward the light hearted problem solving side.

Which isn't saying that one style is better than the other just that the hero code is constantly shifting so that our heroes can be relevant.

12. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I think it only makes sense that the Autobots be portrayed as more effecient soldiers than the loveable G1 guys. They are in a war, after all. If they want to win, they have to fight for it, which means stopping the enemy in their tracks, not just taking them out for a round or two.

And the Animated Autobots had their moments of badassery...especially Optimus.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I want to see more tragedy in the Transformers. It seems that whole 1986 movie debacle scared them away from killing off major characters in anything but the comics. They're fighting a freaking war, heroes die every single day, from what I can see it's almost like the Autobots never die but the Decepticons get blown up all the time.

The rare exception, and I do mean rare, is Animated Prowl, who gave up his life at what ended up being the end of Transformers Animated. Beast Wars had Dinobot, Tigerhawk, while Beast Machines had Optimus Primal sacrificing himself to format Cybertron. Nothing really big since then ... because they all come back to life!

14. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    People love good guys who are bad, plain and simple.

Look at Dinobot in Beast Wars and Steve Austin in the WWF/WWE.

Writers know this, so use it to their advantage.

15. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I think a wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf, and being on 'the right side' doesn't excuse an action. So I have no special love for archetype bad good-guys, or good bad-guys.
    But I enjoy characters with different motivations, and perhaps that makes them bad or good in some light.

Personally I considered Dinobot a self-serving opportunist that spouted claims of 'honour' [honor], rather than displaying it.

16. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    QFT.

17. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Totally agree with Kickback. It seems Hasbro doesn't want any Autobots dying nowadays which is why they seem to me so much more brutal now

18. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Hey, its all still better than going emo.

19. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    What about Depth Charge who almost pulled off a 2 in one sacrifice as well as Dinobot the Second. Beast Machines has an unsung hero: Noble whose sacrifice brought Nighscream's only crowning moment of awesome in the series.

You forgot Vector Prime from Cybertron. The series practically had a whole episode of his heroic sacrifice.

I thought for sure Sentenil Prime was going to bite the dust in Animated. Maybe, if it continued.

20. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

'cept that's kinda what the viewers pretty much hoped for though. :p