Autobots Fly or NOT?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, May 1, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there again. I've always assumed that the Autobots could NOT fly. In G1 series, it's been said they can not fly. However, in the very first episode, "More Than Meet's The Eye" we see them flying several times! We see them fly when the Decepticons attack the oil-rig and the Autobots come flying to the rescue. Plus, we see two Autobot's flying around putting out Megatron's fire!
    Then it seems like for some unknown reason, they can no longer fly for the rest of the series! What happened to cause them to be "grounded"?

Talking about those Autobot's who's alt modes are NOT aircraft :D 

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Inconsistencies like these happen because they just changed it whenever they felt like it, I guess..:p  in MTMTE, there's also a scene I think where Prime is hanging on a ledge in front of Megatron, almost falling down, while he was shown flying a bit before. :D 

Personally, I like the idea that the Autobots can't fly, but the Decepticons can (with some exceptions to both sides, of course). It would be another reason why Decepticons can pick jet alt modes.

3. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Yeah, as Digilaut said, it's pretty much an error on the writer's behalf. I myself prefer anti-gravity Decepticons and rocket-pack Autobots when it comes to flying. While I don't think the vehicle mode justifies flight capabilities as a robot, I do think it could make for an interesting character. Imagine an Autobot that transforms into a jet - but since he can't fly as a robot he would either have to leap off of a tall building and transform to fly, or he could transform and taxi down a runway. Not too combat-ready, ya know? Especially if he transforms to 'bot mode in mid-air: Dude would fall.

~Z

4. Tigertrack

Wasn't there an episode where some of the Autobots were hanging around their local canteen and they witnessed the Decepticons flying toward them? I think one of the bot's said, "Hey look, here comes the new transformers that can fly!" Or something like that.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The Dinobots could fly in robot mode.

6. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    In "War Dawn" Orion Pax commented on the fact that the Decepticons were the new robots that could fly

My thoughts are that "More than Meets the Eye" were pilot episodes with the creators not thinking it would go anywhere alse, but when it as picked up for a series rewrites were made as for any series to ground the Autobots for them to be the underdogs. It may also add to the fact that many writers that wrote for the series had no knowledge of the brand prior

7. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Autobots do not fly...

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Human error and no real guidelines as to which character has what powers. Personally I don't believe any Autobot should fly unless they have a flight capable alt mode or jet pack. As far as Decepticons they were manufactured to be war ready so maybe that's a reason they should/do all fly.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

"Something like that"....the episode was called "War Dawn".....but it didnt happan exactly as you describe.

As to your questions.....its changed all the time.

Some episodes they could fly, others it wasnt very clear.

I always sumed it up that the Autobots could "float" or "glide" but ad speeds not much faster then walking/running.

And that the Decdepticons were capable of great speeds in the air....hence they could FLY.....while the Autobots could not.

10. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I always liked the comics beter, no one could fly unless they had an alt mode capable of the flight and even then not all of them could or it said so in there bio... even then though that was stuck to all the time but to me it makes a lot more sense.

The other point is if you can fly in robot mode why pick an alt mode that is grounded?

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

autobots got arielbots and skyfire - arielbots and skyfire do fly [arielbots and skyfire are jets]

12. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, not counting jet or rocket modes (G1 series), I think while in Robot Mode, the only ones that are supposed to fly are Sunstreaker/Sideswipe (Rocket Packs) and the Aerialbots. I do not think any other Autobot with a flying mode can fly while in robot mode, but I could be wrong.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    My Klingopn friend said it perfectly i have always felt for the autobots to fly they had to employ a jet/rocket pack. Some of the Autobots such as the Aeriabots and Dinobots are excepted of course.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thank you very much.

15. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The Autobots got Arielbots,Jetfire,Powerglide,Swoop,Omega Supreme,Shattorshot,Stafe, & Autobots Triple Charger got Aeril Vechel Modes.

16. Tigertrack

My question was not including the Autobots that had flying alt-modes. I'm referring to the rest of them and their robot modes. OBVIOUSLY those that have a flying "alt-mode" can fly in their alt-mode.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I personally don't think ANY of them should be able to fly in robot mode, unless they have some extra ability to do so... ie, jet-packs, Gears' compressed-air jets, etc... Marvel G1 style.

Obviously the cartoon took an easy route to facilitate their simplistic storylines... and they were never really able to keep it consistent or sensible (let's not even get started on Season 3, and all that space-flyin'. :) 

zmog

18. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It never really bothered me that they sometimes flew in the cartoon but yeah, I assume that Autobots do not fly unless they are Dinobots or have flying alt modes. If they had limited flying ablilities like what sto_vo_kor_2000 said, I'm fine with that.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Animated is a good representation of what I feel the Autobots and Decepticons should be in terms of having the ability to fly. In TFA, NONE of the Autobots could really fly at the start (Prowl sorta cheated with his jump jets some of the time) while the only non-flying Decepticon at the start was Blackarachnia (and she was ex-Autobot, so it works out).

At the end of the series, the only Autobots who could truly fly had wings; Jetfire, Jetstorm, Swoop, Omega Supreme, and Optimus Prime with his upgrades. The Decepticons mostly followed the same rule of "no wings: no flight", although this rule was broken at one point when Soundwave was in the air (in the real world) trying to control all the Autobots in "Human Error; Part 2", yet no visible way to explain WHY he was actually flying.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Autobots can fly, with a jet pack of if the alt mode is a flying vechicle. Keep it simple.