Autobots/Decepticons species thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seeker, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    From a G1 perspective I always thought both the Autobots and Decepticons were two branches of the same species. They were programmed and constructed for different purposes but they had the same base construction (physiology) and programming. Thoughts?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep. Same species, more just two factions divided by ideology.

Probably a chicken and egg question in there also, though--were the Decepticons vicious 'cause they were 'Cons, or 'Cons 'cause they were vicious?

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I always just considered them factions. Typically, the cons were warriors, while the bots were governmental types. I never really considered them species, but its an idea.

4. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. they are factions of the same species of robots that are battling a civil war for many millennium. a classic sci-fi good vs. evil type thing where the good must stop the evil from taking over the universe and the bad guys happen to be the good guys distant cousins..

5. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    Transformers species

I think of the Transformers as a single species that just cannot get along with each other. If George and Osama start kissing each other, maybe there is hope that one day everyone can work together. Till all are one.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess one could consider them separate 'species' especially if drawing from the G1 cartoon origin stories, where worker robot products became Autobots and military hardware became Decepticons.

Most of the comic stories have it boiling down to just ideological choices among members of the same species, with any physical differences between 'bot and 'con coming from the robots modifying themselves for their own purposes. I prefer this idea most of the time (even though I'm largely a cartoon-head) since it means a bot's faction relates to their own personality and beliefs, rather than what 'product line' they belonged to.

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Yep, the political disagreement between both groups is far a better set up than the different species explanation.

8. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I do prefer it ultimately coming down to personal choices and beliefs as the division between the two factions, but still, it is an interesting idea that maybe part of their differences in thinking come from the way they were made or the roots of members from different original designs. But whatever Autobots and Decepticons may have descended from, what's important is that they've evolved into free-thinking beings capable of individual identities, personalities and feelings.

9. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I agree I see it as a political thing. I have never like the idea that the Decepticons are 'evil' There actions are evil. But I don't think anyone (even Megatron ) would set out to be evil. I like to think he thinks what he is doing is right.

I could see Megatron saying something like this
    "So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it... "-Captain Sisko (star trek DS9)

10. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, I saw somewhere at some point that Megatron gave them the name Decepticons to show their anger at being deceived by the powers that be, or had been at the time. So, it's a faction at best.

11. Koontah27

Koontah27 Transfic writer

I think they're two different species. I say that cuz I know Autobots can be bad guys, Cons can be 'good'. Otherwise, Vector Sigma would not take such measures to make sure there is a difference between them. Autobots, as a general rule, do not fly. Decepticons can take on far more punishment than most Autobots. Pardon the comparasion, but I look at Autobots and Decepticons like Humans verses Klingons. Even the warrior code between the two groups is different.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  12. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the race is called the Transformer race, which are divided into two factions, the Autobots and Decepticons, I guess if you include the Minicons it makes it three factions.

They all come from the same place, Primus and as far as i'm concerned, there were two types of Transformers created, the labourers (Autobots) and the military (Decepticons). Through political differences and so fourth, the Decepticons struck against their Autobot comrades and started the war. Because the war raged for millions of years they became two distinct factions, but still essentially the same thing.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Put me down as another vote for ONE race of Transformers, with factions defined purely by one's political choices...

HOWEVER... as both of these factions have been around for a while, there are also TFs who were built as Autobots or Decepticons specifically. Even then though, I would see it as being a question of a TF's personal choice to leave the "family" it was "born" into.

Sunstreaker, Slag, Snarl, Repugnus, Twin Twist, Afterburner, Scattershot... there are a number of Autobots who are really little different than Decepticons... so why are they Autobots? I could answer this by pointing at any war... in WWII, there were good people who fought for the Axis, and bad people who fought as Allies. There's a tendency to stick with one's "kin" even when you don't necessarily agree...

And in the case of some of the Autobots I just mentioned, I think they're perfectly satisfied to stick with the good guys just because they don't care so long as there's someone to fight with... though what would happen with these characters during peacetime is an interesting question. I figure most of them would be criminals. I always sort of imagined the Dinobots as a team that Grimlock probably hand-picked directly out of the brig, Dirty Dozen style. :) 

zmog

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One race of Transformers in a very long Civil War. Same machines, different programming.

15. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I don't think Bots & Cons can be classified as 2 different species. As others said, it's about differences in ideologies. If they were different species one couldn't switch sides like Jetfire did.

Maybe some Transformers could be considered to be different species, but it wouldn't be decided by if they were Bot or Con. Maybe combiners could be a different species from regular Tfs that only have bot and alt modes, as could triple-changers. I could also see Beast Wars characters being considered to be a different species from other lines like G1.

16. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I'm beginning to think it's a bit of both. In the distant past the Autobots and Decepticons were designed for different purposes and that may effect ideological choices made in the later generations. Just because one's forebears were farmers does not mean the descendents of those farmers have to do the same thing ect. There are autobots that are very simlilar to Decepticons and vice versa but they seemed to have made the choice to be a autobot for philosophical reasons.

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Mini-Cons (Minicons?) were revealed to be products of Unicron in the Armada cartoon. That, coupled with their ability to link with other full-sized Cybertronians could classify them as a separate species. They're almost like symbiots.

18. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Bots and Cons, gonna hafta go with the same species different factions route.

19. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

It would seem that many people do approach the Bot v. Con issue as if it were an ethnic split; however, as a recent Mosaic (Dominion) points out it is also very much about ideology from the get go (even if that ideology wasn't well explained).

The show's creators fashioned Megatron as an archtypical megalomaniac with the catch phrase "Peace through tyranny." with Optimus Prime as his militant libertarian counterpart. Since Marvel Comics went on to describe an ancient Cybertronian political order that was corrupt and prone to morally questionable habits, it would seem that the ethical, as opposed to ethnic, split was probably intended to be somewhat more nuanced than the G1 cartoon showed it.

Wingwolf77 ... love the Sisko quote! :)