Autobots and Decepticons VS. Cybertrons and Destrons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by guard convoy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    ok, which is better, Autobots and Decepticons or Cybertrons and Destrons? i perfer autobots over cybertrons, but i REALLY perfer Destrons over decepticons

your opinion?

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

autobots and decepticons for sure. "autobots" hints at the fact most of them are automobiles, while you have both "deception" and "con" in "decepticons." The Japanese equivalents don't hint at that. Furthermore, to call one faction "Cybertrons" implies the other faction isn't Cybertronian, but rather something else (Destronian?).

3. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I love the names "Autobot" and "Decepticon." Maybe I'm just attached to them due to being used to them for so many years, but I very much prefer them to Cybertrons/Destrons.

Also, I very much agree with UM3786's assessment.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    'Cybertrons' and 'Destrons' just... doesn't do it for me.

5. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

agreed..it's half assed....like hasbro's easy bake oven that got recalled because it melted down when poor kids used it too much.

sorry japanese fans...but your destrons vs cybertrons sucks...switch to autobots and decepticons....the world will be a better place.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Did they not already with the first movie in 2007?

7. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Destrons always seemed so useless, only one or two of them were ever a threat, at least in the comics the cons had some victories and seemed like that actually stood a chanse of winning the war.

8. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

i really prefer Decepticons to Destrons. "Destron" sounds a bit impotent. I think "Decepticon" doesn't roll off your tongue as easily and as a result has more of an implied threat. Also "deception", when applied in war/combat terms, has all kinds of menacing connotations like guile, crafty warrior, etc.

Autobots is ok but by mid season 3/rebirth/headmasters it's a non-applicable name to a lot of the autobot/cybertron army, which is all futuristic/cybertronian.

9. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Neither are Cybertronian. They both are Seibertronian.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't like Cybertrons because wouldn't they all be? Decepticons are from the Planet Cybertron as well. Destron just looks odd, especially on Takara Beast Wars figures. My TM Megatron isn't a Predacon but a Destron.

Personally, give me Predacons Vs Autobots.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

You know until this thread I neven even throught of the auto in autobots linking to automobiles, I always just took it as automated, autobot being short for automated robot, I guess it makes senses given there orginal line up though.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I honestly prefer Autobots and Decepticons, but then again they're the factions I grew up with.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The best thing about the Destron faction is the existance of the bad pun that is the Destronger faction name. The Destrongers are meant to be the elite of the elite, the very best the Destrons have to offer, hence the bad pun. There's nothing that could work like that in English, unless you used "Destructicon" which at least keeps some of the same theme.

In any case, I prefer Autobots and Decepticons. It's what I've grown up with, and because I've grown up knowing the planet as Cybertron, thinking of one side in the fight as Cybertrons is a bit awkward, and the fact the planet's name sounds similar in Japan does not help either.

This is going to be an interesting topic in a few years, since Cybertron and Destron are very nearly defunct faction names in Japan.

A random fact some of you might find interesting - in an old Wizard (or more likely Toyfair) magazine from 2000 before Robots in Disguise came out was talking about the creative process. There was a quote in there talking about the name of the factions. We very nearly got "Destrongas" as a faction for that series, before the decision to go all-out with the name Decepticons and fully reconnect to the past was settled on.

14. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I can't really decide, in my personal canon, Cybertrons are neutrals and Destrons are the Decepticon equivalent of the Wreckers.

Although if I honestly had to pick, I'd pick Autobots/Decepticons.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

Autobots & Decepticons for me.

16. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

I like cybertrons and destrons name AND THEY COME FROM JAPAN

17. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Autobots and Decepticons.

I honestly have no idea why anybody from outside Japan would ever call them Cybertrons and Destrons, except for 'OMG IT'S JAPAN SO IT'S COOL TO SAY'..

18. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

I think that in something like Transtech, Cybertrons and Destrons could be well used; certainly they seem more like political parties than military and ideological groups to me which is usually how the Autobots and Decepticons are portrayed.

The English connotations of the two are clever though. Although I admit I love the corny Japanese Engrish puns that they make. I hadn't made the link between Destron and Destronger yet. Hehehe.

19. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Umm....Both versions? :D 

20. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

huh. the story of transformers and war and two rival factions is an american creation, not japanese