Autobots and Decepticons respect

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Do you think in the G1 continuity cartoon, Autobots and Decepticons atleast respect each other on and off the battlefield. Like Prime and Megatron atleast respect each other? (G1), and how about the rest of the Bots and Cons even though they are mortal enemies is there a respect between them?

thanks

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Dude, with all due respect, but I seriously think you're overthinking a 27-year-old cartoon waaaay too much.

3. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I was just wondering.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

The problem isn't your question [a very interesting question, actually] focusing ONLY on G1, the cartoon with the depth of a saucer, you should do questions like this focusing on the TF universe as a whole, not only on G1.

5. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    well, in my opinion (getting back to the topic), There does seem to be respect back and forth in many continuities. It's just a matter of like how are world is, you might respect someone, doesn't mean you have to like them or their views

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I imagine everyone has a fearful respect for Shockwave.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I imagine many Decepticons, as megalomaniacs, homicidal psychopaths, and misanthropes, don't have a whole lot of respect for anyone, especially their opponents.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think that a great many Autobots and Decepticons can greatly respect aspects of their opponents while utterly despising everything else they're about.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look at the structure set up of the g1 verse in comics and toons.

What caused the great war? Apply that to other wars where both sides were mutually thinking they were protecting their countries or terroritories. An example would be the civil war in America. The war was known as one where brother fought brother. They would mutually respect each other but felt that their side was right and did what needed to be done to have that side succeed.

Granted some had a more evil intent but there were decepticons who thought they were on the right side because it only made sense to follow the more powerful leader.

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    At least Ultra Magnus and Cyclonus did show respect for each other as warriors.

Why didn't they follow Optimus then? :lol 

11. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

This is my take on it, as well.

Some Decepticons, as Aernaroth points out, are the crazy kind of evil, and I don't think those guys have any respect for the good guys. But I think that others, who are a more thoughtful kind of evil, like say certain versions of Megatron, Soundwave, and Shockwave, probably respect their enemies. While, as you say, completely despising Autobot values.

And while I think there are a lot of thoughtful Autobots who have respect for their enemies or even hope that there's some buried good in them (for example, see TFP Optimus, even though he's not from the continuity the original posted asked about), I think there are other Autobots who just loathe 'Cons and that's that (see G1 Cliffjumper and G1 Ironhide for examples of this.)

Personally, my own headcanon is full of characters on both sides who feel "I respect you, but your values are an abomination."

12. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

He doesn't exercise his might and , as far as power, Megs is quite a bit tougher (I read somewhere his canon has the power of a black hole). SUPPOSEDLY Prime is wiser though. No luck finding stats though.

13. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    there was an episode in which hoist and grapple teamed with the contructicons. when they spoke to each other they brought different works they saw of the others and got sorta fan boyish about it. "that was you who did that? oh i loved the smoldering work ... " or something to that avail.

so yes they do have some respect for each other.

i would imagine to some extent, the decepticon plains might have a degree of respect for powerglide and his stunts. maybe starscream might wish he had the seekers follow him the way the arielbots follow silverbolt? and i imagine wheeljack may have some admiration for the stunticons (once read that wheeljack was 1 for doing stunts as well in vehilce mode.)

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd also throw in here that the Autobots or Decepticons who don't respect their opponents in some regard are likely in for the tailpipe-kickin' of their Cybertronian lives. Underestimating an opponents abilities simply because of disagreeing with their thinking isn't wise computing.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the G1 cartoon, no they were completely flat one dimensional characters with no depth.

In the fiction in general, I like what Prime and that continuity family is doing. I like Optimus and Megatron being former allies now deadly foes. Yes it's a relationship stolen from many sources, most famously being Professor Xavier and Magneto. But it's a relationship that implies history and depth to a pair of characters.

16. Fierceawakening

If we're talking about G1 here, it really varies, though. In MTMTE, Megatron's depicted kicking Optimus's tailpipe, and the 'Bots really have to use ingenuity, teamwork, and some luck to win. By the time War dawn rolls around, the 'Cons are pretty much ineffectual clowns, and even direct hits from Megatron's cannon do nothing to Optimus.

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Yes but we also constantly see Megatron use his might to scare his own men. Something like the Russians did with their men during ww2. Either you fight for him or you die.

18. Fierceawakening

Oh. not arguing. Just saying that "who's mightier" in G1 is open to interpretation. I prefer it to be Megatron (not just because I like the character, but also because the mightier the villain, the higher the stakes for the good guys, too) but G1 is all over the place, and the villain decay in that show is... exponential. *facepalms forever*

19. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just clarifying myself a bit better.

I actually hated the idea of enemies teaming up. I remember on COPS the COPS and the Criminals (forget their names) teamed up to fight criminals selling drugs because somehow drugs were too evil and violent robbery, attempted murder, extortion weren't.

20. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

And also it was stated that in the begining of time The Autobots and Decepticons also formely known The Autobots (The Consumer Goods) and The Decepticons (Military Hardware) were all slaves yes The Decepticons were slaves aswell and i pretty think they still hold some softness deep inside them since they were friends and also workmates also worked together to throw the Quints off of Cybertron, but that ended when the Cons wanted war. In general i think Cons and Bots have a little respect for each other. I could be wrong