Autobotic Asphyxiation.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Monte Williams, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

If you've never heard of auto-erotic asphyxiation, I'll spare you the details.

But while I wait for my epic rant about Energon and Animated to appear at PopMatters, I figured I'd share with you the last piece I wrote about Transformers, from July of 2007, entitled "Autobotic Asphyxiation":

Transformers: Autobotic Asphyxiation < Columns | PopMatters

I hope you like it.

Cheers,

-Monte

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I detect a hint of irony there. Or else it's hypocrisy coming from a guy who has more toys in his linen closet than an entire neighborhood of kids have in their toy boxes, and who does custom toys as well... and photographs them too.

An amusing read nevertheless, even if I take slight offense to someone implying that I am a victim of your so-called "Autobotic Asphyxiation" just because I wear T-shirts with cartoon characters on them.

On a related note, I read your new Energon vs Animated column today... an intelligent and entertaining review on all points. But I noticed you neglected to mention which "camp" of Transfan you classify yourself in.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice review Monte. I enjoyed the read.

:thumb 

4. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Off topic: Twin Falls?! Oh hey there :)  Fellow Idahoans unite!

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I found the Energon vs. Animated article far more interesting. Love your work. Though you make it sound as if anyone who is more than a casual collector is automatically a jerk or obsessed freak with no middle ground. (for instance, I'm really iunto TFs, but not so much that I lose sleep over them or get tatoos of them or am a total dick about them)

6. Monte Williams

Well, yeah; the whole point is how transparently hypocritical I am. Hell, one of the symptoms I list is packing one's Sigma 6 toys in a backpack and photographing them near the creek by one's home; that was me.

Further, right after I sing my own praises for showing restraint, I throw a fit about the then-upcoming (since canceled, I believe) He-Man movie.

Glad you liked the Energon-versus-Animated piece; I'd planned to drop a link here, but I've been mostly avoiding the internet lately.

It's the one wherein I shift from describing "they" and start describing "we." :) 

I'm casual, but Animated has gotten quite a grip on me; I have over a dozen figures now (impressive when you consider I have only been collecting for a month and I've been broke that whole time), and my daughter and I are now on season 2 via Netflix.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You can be a collector and still fit into the casual fan category. But taking pics of toys on the edge of a cliff-face? That's either obsession, or you've got huge ball bearings.

There's definitely crossover between your categories though. I consider myself to be a semi-casual fan, but then I also make a point to visit the forums here at least twice a day. And I have a collecting habit too. I'm definitely hooked on Animated as well. Waiting for Season 3 to air is giving me ulcers.

After you catch up with Animated, you need to see Beast Wars (since you admitted you've never seen it). BW brought me back to fandom.

8. tnasoundlug

tnasoundlug Well-Known Member

Hey, I like to take pictures of my toys and I just started the collection as "serious Bisness" 3 months ago.

Great Article, by the way.

9. Monte Williams

Obsessive toy nerd; casual TF fan.

The cliffside habit was always a Sigma 6 thing; I just do it with my TFs 'cause... well... there's no new Sigmas.

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Well, the article pointed to was okay, but I did enjoy most of the rest. :) 

--Moony