Autobot X / Spike : WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I had this thread going for a bit, hoping for suggestions and stuff over in general discussion, though wanted to bring it out here because it's become more of a WIP thread rather than a discussion about the project.

I don't want to reveal much on the robot's body, but will say I strongly feel it's by far my best project to date. There are already over 30 points of articulation. Some cool features on him; MP Prime's hand (yes 1 hand) Light up arm canon for left side, LED eyes, opening panels on forearm and shoulder and back (with mechanical stuff inside or weapons) on his back is a small switch that makes the "transforming" sound effect. Going to add another button for other sound effects, might hunt down a Hulk type figure which says "RARRRR" or something like that ;) 

So...from the other thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added image 04.08.09

[​IMG]

Added image 04.09.09
    [​IMG]

04.10.09 Update

Took the rough head from last night and created a cast for it. I like working in resin over multi-mediums, the 1st draft of the head (seen below) had sculpted clay (aves fixit), rubber, styrene, plastic, glue, and epoxy parts. I find it much easier to drill/sand/chisel resin.

[​IMG]

Using the casted resin head, I was able to refine most of the detail and add the details. At this point, I also drilled out the back of his head for LED installation. I carved out the eye sockets from the front and drilled ALMOST to the back of the face from the back side of the head.

Filled the eye sockets with overly hot glue (hot glue gun $2.00) Then I took the hole and put my mouth up to it, slightly blowing air into the sealed head....this pushes some of that wet hot glue outwards out of the eye sockets. (fills the out better)

Next, I put in the blue LED bulb, wires and battery pack. the lid to the LED electronics is also the switch to turn it on. Turn it to the left (tighter) and the LED turns on. Turn it back to the right (loosen) to shut the light off.

Next I added styrene parts and some washers and other crap for the details. The head sits on a ball joint peg and will pop onto the neck of the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

digibashed w/ color added
    [​IMG]

reference pic
    [​IMG]

Other notes:

I added in some scratch built hydraulics. I used existing pole shaped parts, drilled out the inside and inserted an aluminum rivet pin. The pin is secured in the shorter end, and sits freely in the hollowed out tube. Both ends of the hydraulic are held in with washer and screw, to allow them to rotate slightly....

[​IMG]

I wanted a good solid Porsche for his left chest. I'm going for a larger type scale on this project, because in the episode, Autobot X/Spike was larger than the other autobots. He's currently about 10 inches tall.

I was able to find this 1:18 scale porsche 911 on ebay for under $20

[​IMG]

It's diecast, but now in my hands and it's the perfect size. It's gonna be a nightmare hacking it up to fit. I will also use the door from it for his door thing on his left shoulder.

At some point (soon), I also will create the table he's built on from the show. I think I have a gundam type stand base that's got nice details on it, I will paint it orange and add lights and sounds to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. 1-10

1-10 Well-Known Member

Okaaaaaaa...

3. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Ooh, this has potential. Looking good so far :D , but the face looks too human. just my .02 cents

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Damn your WIP's! Now I can't wait to see him finished!

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    you're so right (and awesome too)

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I removed a lot of the human like qualities in the face, such as the clefs above and below the lips, the nose was rebuilt and some detail and curves were removed.

Well, he's almost done, I have the chest to build then it goes into painting stages.

6. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet job! I actually kinda like the semi-organic look to the face, it adds more of a "Frankenstein" feel to the project.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I agree, or at least, that's my alibi :) 
    Beside, Sparkplug was the one who builds Autobot X, theoretically, he'd build and design it with more of a human nature than any Transformer would. The whole relationship between Autobot X and Frankenstein was what the episode/character was about.

8. JAF

JAF 1984

Awesome start Mike. The styrene work is really accurate and the face can always be sanded to have more angular, bot-features. Heh, I've been wanting to do this character for a while along with the (megatron/ratchet fusion monster) as super detailed and MP scaled action masters. Now I can live vicariously through you.

9. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the hollowed out part of the leg-hydraulic, there's a piece that looks like it would get in the way of straightening out the leg. Can it be straight, or is the leg meant to be in a semi-bent position all of the time?

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS. Will be one insane masterpiece!

11. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

You know, it's bad enough that he looks awsome but your also adding sound, leds, and a bed/stand? Please stop, your killing me! Ok, got that out of my system, great job as always.
    This is by far my favorite custom to date! I always had a soft spot in my heart for o'Autobot X. I think every kitbasher has at one point or another thought about doing this.
    I can wait to see the body, let alone compeleted. You talked about using the 911 as half of the chest, what about the other half?
    Also, I love the screws in the neck, nice touch.

12. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Dude, keep the face! It's a winning mugshot! And I like where this is going! :thumb 

13. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    i really like the hydrolics ...
    on my current kitbash i used the same method :) 

14. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWow... I'm sold.
    The head will be perfect imo.

15. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This is gonna look bad-ass when it's done...his blank expression and head detail is nailed already! It's cool to see obscure characters from the G1 'toons materialize like this.

What's funny was Sparkplug & Autobot X was like Wheeljack and the Dinobots....both creations were very powerful but VERY unrefined and out of control. I'd love to hear a conversation between Autobot X and the Dinobots, I bet that would be some deep stuff! lol

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Good eye. That hose looking part is actually on the side of the leg, while the hydraulic is on the back of the leg. Good eye on the length though, you're kinda right....if the leg is fully straight, the pin pops out of the longer pipe, but it can be easily put back in.

Thanks.

I actually hacked up the porsche this morning. It's one of those "super-detailed" ones you see on your banker's mahogany desk. The rest of it's going in the trash. It's all die cast, pain in the ass to hack up and get the edges perfectly smooth and straight. Definitely had my goggles on for that, there's metal dust and scraps all over my desk, that shit in your eye is very bad...I had a metal shard in my retna few years ago, it was painful, and I still have to use some gel crap every so often in the morning. 2 millimeters up to the right, I could have went blind in that eye.

Thanks! I like the expression also. I think it suits the character's persona well.

Awesome.

Thanks guys.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I actually agree with BOTH earlier comments on the face. It's both too "organic" looking, but also has a certain lumpy charm. I think you might be able to do just a little bit more "chiseling" on it to give it a more geometric look, without losing some of that "humanity".

zmog

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I did a little "maintenance" to the face, chiseled it a bit, pulled the chin inwards slighly. I think it's a lot better now.

19. wan_de_real

wan_de_real Transformizer

Ebay:
    Mike..first i think to do Spike in transformable suit...but when see this...hola shit this is also interesting...gonna do both..but still long away plan...i think can just take sum blueprint from u..

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    He's all primed (drying) and ready for paint apps which i hope can start tomorrow. The "table" thing he's built on was also built, it's got lights and sounds and a cool surprise also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.