Autobot Leader Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by XJunky, Aug 12, 2007.

1. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Hi gang,

I was just glancing over at my Prime collection and thought about expanding to include all the leaders of the autobots. Aside from the Optimus Prime/Primals / Convoy who else is there?

I know of a few:
    Rodimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus (briefly in the animated movie)
    Metalhawk (he was the leader in the beginning of Masterforce, right?)
    Ginrai (Super, God)
    Victory Saber
    Alpha Trion (Botcon fig)

I've seen half of Masterforce, a few episodes of Victory and none of the Headmasters, so I need some help filling in the blanks. I'm looking for any Autobot (...or Decepticon, if there ever was one) who has lead the Autobots, even briefly.

Thanks!
    ~X

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Thunderwing carried the Matrix for awhile, but he certainly didn't use it to lead the Autobots, so I don't know if he would qualify or not.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Fort Max was a leader also. Cheetor technically became leader at the end of Beast Machines.

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Metroplex from cybertron was leader class wasnt he?

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Also, Grimlock twice became leader in the G1 comic.

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Galvatron wore the Matrix, but obviously not an Autobot.

I think Starscream had it for a time in the G2 comic.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas, Star Convoy, and the bots they combine with. Pyro and Thunderclash from Europe

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yes, he was a leader class sized figure, but, he wasn't a leader of the Autobots at any point in time.

9. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Armada Hotshot held the Matrix briefly, and was leader of the Autobots until Prime was resurrected.

10. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how many of these you would count or if having the Matrix should count but here is a list of a few.

Megatron - used a copy/clone of Prime in one episode of the original series.

G1 Scourge - held the Matrix for an episode but really not the Autobot leader.

Shockwave - basically the leader of the Transformers on Cybertron in the Dreamwave comics for a time.

Starscream - was in command of the Maximals for a short time when he had Primal captured in Beast Wars but I'm not sure if that should count since it was a trap.

Primus - creator but not really a leader, more of a driving force. Not sure if that counts.

Cobra Commander - controlled the Autobots and Decepticons in the first Devil's Due/Dreamwave crossover.

Hotshot - leader of the Autobots in Armada after Prime's death.

Energon Rodimus - seems like he was called an Autobot leader at one point, maybe when they were talking about his origin.

Override, Scourge, Evac, and Metroplex from Cybertron - leader of the Transformers on their respective planets.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Running through all I know, bear with me because I'll probably repeat loads of what was already said:

G1 (cartoon) - Optimus, sometimes when he was out of action Jazz, Prowl, Bumblebee or even Huffer would take the lead.
    G1 (movie) - Ultra Magnus for a while, then Rodimus Prime.
    G1 Season 3 - Rodimus Prime, on occasions like Burden Hardest to Bear Ultra Magnus took over.
    Headmasters - Convoy / Optimus at first, then Rodimus, then Fortress Maximus technically led, although Ultra Magnus was still there and it was implied even before Optimus died that Hot Rod and Jazz held similar positions on Earth and Cybertron.
    Masterforce - Metalhawk led on Earth, Grand Maximus was senior to him though, and Grand Maximus promoted God Ginrai to Earth Commander later on.
    Victory - God Ginrai seemed to have been promoted again to a much more senior role, leaving Star Sabrer in charge of matters on Earth. After he died, Great Shot was promoted to take over his position.
    Zone - by this time, Victory Saber has taken over as the overall commander. The ending made Dai Atlas up to Victory Saber's field commander, I think. There's a whole row of other Autobots behind Victory Saber who may also have been "regional commanders"
    Battlestars - this one is a bit easier. Star Convoy is the overall commander.
    Operation Combination - I'm not sure who the leader was - it was heavilly implied Skyquake was Decepticon commander, but his opposite number Thunderclash was never issued in Japan. I guess perhaps it was Star Convoy still.

G2 - the Japanese manga had the latter incarnations of Prime (Combat Hero / Laser Rod) leading.

Beast Wars - Mostly Optimus Primal, but on occasion when he was out of action, Dinobot or Rhinox would take over. By the end of Beast Machines, Cheetor was the new leader. In Beast Wars Second / Neo, you've also got Lioconvoy and Big Convoy, and several other non-show characters who were members of the Convoy council. Allegedly Longrack's from a line of Giraffe Convoys.

Armada - Optimus was the overall leader, when he died Hot Shot was put in charge though strictly speaking Jetfire could also be considered a commander - he did, after all, look after things on Cybertron in Prime's absense. Depending on your perspective, Sparkplug, Perceptor or Redline (DVD exclusive Minicon) could be considered to be the leader of the Minicons.
    Energon - Optimus is the overall commander, Hot Shot is the Earth regional commander and Jetfire was the Cybertron commander. Rodimus in this series was another commander who left, and Arcee is the Omnicon commander. Bulkhead is a senior commander, possibly a former leader even.
    Cybertron - you've got Optimus, the four planetary leaders as regional commanders, and then at the end of the series you've got Jetfire taking over as overall commander when Optimus steps down to lead one of the four new ships.

Comics I'm not as familiar with, but you've got Prowl and Grimlock leading the Autobots most times when Optimus is out of action. Do I remember right thinking Blaster was in there at one stage too?
    Also, Springer led his own team, the Wreckers.

Historic leaders, you've got Prima, Alpha Trion and Sentinel Prime. Though only A3 has a toy right now, perhaps that Sentinel Prime Botcon exclusive might be revived down the line?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  12. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

I never read the dreamwave comics,but the Mal-Wart exclusive energon comic seemed to show Over Run in some position of leadership of the minicons.

13. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks guys!

Sol Fury, that was pretty much what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

~X

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ooooo yeah good point, Dreamwave had him as the bearer of the Minicon Matrix. I completely forgot him!

15. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know if it'd count for your purposes, but Chromedome was essentially a subcommander/field commander in Headmasters, I believe.

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In that case, so did Galvatron...LOL

DOH! Someone beat me to it!

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Fort Max was the leader with Chromedome being what you said... in the same way, Landmine was essentially the same thing for Metalhawk in Masterforce

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Rattrap also took command in several occations, most notably in "Chain of Command" when he was appointed as leader by Primal's contiousness.

19. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At this rate, you might end up with a smaller display if you put together all the Autobots/Maximals who weren't leaders....

20. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I would simply go for this setup:
    [​IMG]