Minor/Repaint: Autobot/Gundam hybrid kitbash

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I got this project posted over at TFMaster's Transtopia. I'm planning on building a character out of a Gundam Astray and a Ducati 1/18 1000ds supersport. The character won't transform, but I will have a stand-in motorcycle painted to match.

the primary bot is pretty much as assembled as I want it. The access parts will be replaced with the vehicle parts I put on.

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the whole motorcycle I still have.

[​IMG]

I'll be painting the shells in purple, and the steel parts underneath will get a metallic black treatment to make it look more like its robot counterpart.

[​IMG]

The character will be designed as a Cybertronian-sized bike, even though it's an Earth-based mode.

[​IMG]

Most of the components should fit fine once I crop them a little. I have quite a few parts cut to size and designed. A lot of it just needs reshaping and repainting.

One of the custom parts first made was the tail light and license plate (which will need an actual plate in either plastic or sticker form) The groove was pretty easy to cut.

[​IMG]

The piece fits in pretty nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on cutting the tail down to fit with the plate a little better. I'll update with more pics later.

2. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Interesting idea... even if it doesn't transform, having a similar coloured model with it would be neat.

3. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Last couple of days, I've been getting some parts together. I've been able to paint and attach some of the components to at least get an idea of how it'll look later.

You can see here that the team's been working on him little by little:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually finished sanding and painting these parts below, but I don't have pics just yet of the finished pieces.

[​IMG]

The back part of the seat got cut in half, and each half will be attached to the side of their respective foot. This one's already been sanded and mostly painted except for some detailing on the black part of the boot. The natural curve of the seat's underpart allowed it to meet with the foot's edge very nicely.

[​IMG]

I cut the front wheel well/guard in half and grafted cut-down versions of the waist panels to add these in their place.

[​IMG]

One panel has been attached to the arm. Working on the other one right now. You can see the other half-done elements attached just to get an idea for everything.

My only issue now are the pieces below:

[​IMG]

I don't know what to do with them. I originally was going to use these parts for the upper arms to match the lower, but the bike scale is just too big. I was thinking about sticking these on his back, but I had plans for the windshield to fit back here already. I might have to scratch that idea and put these panels there instead, as I have no way of putting them anywhere else.

The legs will get worked on as I finish up these bits. How's it look so far? Any suggestions?

4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

wow thats really coming together nicely cant wait to see it complete

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Copy/pasted from Transtopia. :) 

Still working on this guy. Got a lot of the major body components either attached or shaped. Only really need to work on the legs, since I'm not sure how to get the pieces to fit just yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The waist plates came out perfectly after I sanded down the insides and painted them. They just blend right in.

I also shaved down the tail to match the rear lights and plate. (below) I went ahead and decided to attach the backpack afterall, since I need it for the sword hilt mounts (I got an idea for that later) as well as the upper side panels.

[​IMG]

Image on the right is a half-assed attempt to show you how it should look. I'm going to make some fake hinges on the inside to make it look as if it swings out of the way for robot mode.

[​IMG]

You can see the reshaped and painted chestplate here, plus the side panels again.

[​IMG]

Both feet are done, though the right boot might need some additional sanding and repainting. Otherwise, it's a nice fit for both.

[​IMG]

And here, you can get a much better idea of how he'll look with the chestplate installed. I plan on filling in the chest with internal components and such. Then I'll place the transparent part of the headlight back in. I was thinking about tinting it in dark purple or something, but I don't know yet.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Last couple of weeks I've been dealing with a busted water heater. And Home Depot and Lowes out here have recalls on all their gas water heater models. Last week I bought one from Ace Hardware, only to find out that the pilot light tends to go out on them quite easily. (luckily I hadn't installed it yet, and I don't intend to either) FINALLY bought a Kenmore from Sears today, so I'll be working like hell getting the old one out, this one installed, and the one from Ace returned. Man, it's been a mess.

I know, off-topic rant. :p 

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    This should be incredilbe once you finish it. Actually is already looking incredible so I can't wait to see the final version.