Customs: Autobot Commander Grimlock

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Neekotron, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So, I found a sketch thru google, that someone had taken a line drawing of Classics Optimus and colored him as other TFs, one of them was a "Grimlock Prime", and I thought that it could be a neat idea, so I got a KO UM for a base and added yellow windows (made by Darkov) and swapped out the Prime head for Grimlock's. Going to start paint on him tomorrow, kind of excited for this one.

[​IMG]

2. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

Forgot the line drawing, it was late when I posted. Anyone know if the person that did this posts here?

3. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    This is pretty neat.

4. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Interesting.

5. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks!

I know it's a little outside the box, but Classics Grimlock is such a disappointing figure. I felt he deserved something a bit more powerful looking, so when I found the above sketch, I was sold. When this is done I'm going to play around with the idea of repainting a City Commander as a Grimlock armor, but it would definitely need a new head.

6. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Okay, this appeals to me even more than the original idea, Go for it and run with this plan!!

7. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    LOL, Thanks! :)  I'd like to, going to finish the main cab first, but I've got a Bumble Bee repaint named Sunshine that I need to finish in time for Christmas for my GF, as soon as she's done, full steam ahead on working this plan out.

Oh, can anyone recommend a good glue or adhesive for translucent plastic? Does it fall under the same category as anything you'd use on ABS plastic? Thanks in advance!

8. Quantum25

I agree with you that Grimlock is quite the disappointing figure. However I am looking forward to seeing how this guy turns out.:thumbs2: 

If you do decide to go ahead and repaint a City Commander for an armored up Grimlock, I think Alternators/Binaltech Grimlock would provide a decent replacement head.

By the way, how's the quality of the Ultra Magnus KO, I'm planning on picking up a couple for some customs I have coming up.

9. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks, Quantum! :)  He's taking paint pretty nicely so far.

Hmmm, I will have to see if I can get my hands on that Alt/BT Grimlock head, pretty sure I stopped collecting those before he came out. I was hoping maybe Junkion Blacksmith might make a Grimlock headmaster that would be able to be situated, but I do like the way the BT head looks.

Well, I'd recommend the KO UM over any of the KOLD KO's any day of the week. UM is much sturdier than the KOLD Black Convoy I got from KOToys, same for the KOLD Blue Convoy, should joints are much closer to the original molds than those KOLD productions and over all just feels better in hand. I'm thinking should I end up making an additional version of this figure for eBay, I may try to find 1-2 more of this UM KO, than any other version since the white makes it a bit easier to work with.

*Oh, the one thing I need to add, the Translucent plastic, is ***EXTREMELY*** brittle, be very careful, even when transforming, especially with the forearm shield/truck panels.

10. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

11. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

12. Quantum25

Looks good so far. :thumbs2: 

13. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks man! Here's a shot at what's keeping me busy in the mean time, for my gf for Christmas.
    [​IMG]