Heavy/Scratch: Autobot Beamer

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sokar, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I posted a picture of my current wip over in the cool stuff thread, and it was suggested I put up some more info here. I just had to actually get some work done on it so I could show the wip

I took an extra Windcharger that I had stored away for just such a project and went out and bought a Tamiya 1/24th scale BMW Z3 Roadster model and have been slowly reshelling the S2000 with the Z3 shell

I began by taking apart the original S2000 and breaking it up into it's component parts to see where the actual car split apart. After that I took a standard razor blade and cut out the accompanying lines on the BMW shell.

I then cut off the original car shell of the S2000 with a dremel saw blade, leaving a bit of space for the new peices to attach to. I dissassembled the doors, pulling the pins, and I kept the s2000 rims since they looked better than the rims that came with the Z3 (plus they were closer to the rims that the person I'm making this for has).

Next I began gluing on peices bit by bit, starting with the hood.
    The doors were reasonably easy to attach, though attaching them to the front fenders was a bit tricky. I actually had to remove and reattach the front grill, the hood, and reposition the fenders a bit to make things work. I also had to grind off a fair bit of the back trunk area so that the trunk lid would fit properly.

The back fenders were the only thing that really didn't match up on this car though, so they have been a real pain to make work. Everything fits nicely between the s2000 and the z3 except for the rear wheels. The wheels in the bmw are just a bit more forward than the s2000, and so I had to do some fixing on them. In fact the entire vehicle is slightly shorter than the s2000, so I had to fix the rear skirts as well. To make the back line up as well as I could, I glued the rear fenders farther up, then ground down the wheel wells and glued more plastic to the rear of the wheel wells which I then ground down to make a more accurate wheel well for the back. I also added plastic to the front of the back fender to make it reach up to the door, and to the back skirts to make all the peices fit a bit more flush. Granted there is still some gaping, but it's about as close as I can get it to go. Plus, there is a bit of movement due to the way that the original figure's arms sit, so it tends to shift a little to either side, so leaving a bit of gap was a bit better I think.

All in all, there is probably only about 25-30% actual original plastic left in the vehicle itself. The rims and the windsheild, as well as the soft top, and interior are all staying since they are pretty close to the supplied parts in the model, but the rest is all reshelled

At this point, I'd say I'm around 90% done with the body modifications. I just need to make sure that I fill in a few holes here and there, and do a bit of smoothing. Then I'll re-prime it, and paint it. It'll be about 95% gloss black in the end since I'm replicating a black Z3 with black interior and such.

I have all the bmw decals, though I need to make up a custome liscence plate if I can find some printable decal paper in calgary

Anyway, here are some pictures of my progress:

Dissassembly:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gluing on the BMW body and adding some modifications to make everything fit a bit better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Primed and ready to begin final adjustements and modifications to make things look smoother:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Lookin' real good so far!! :thumbs2:  The reshell looks factory made!! Please keep us updated!:D 

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    That's a heck of project and it looks great so far.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Um......

WOW!!!

This is really....really cool looking.....the fact that you stretched the bmw by using part of the s2000 is very creative!!

Be sure to keep us informed!

And pass me some animal crackers too!! :D 

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Oh man, that's gonna be nice. I love when reshells turn out this amazing.

KEEP UPDATING :) 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    hey this is lookin' sharp so far! :)  thanks for sharing dude. keep us updated!

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Just a quick update and some pictures of robot mode. Modifications are pretty well done, and I've just started applying paint. It's going to be mostly black, so I'm using krylon fusion black paint, and to get the glossy look I'm going to use the tripple thick gloss finish on the body (haven't decided quite how to do the interior yet). The 3x finish also has the advantage of being great at holding things together better than glue it seems

I'm still unsure what to do to the head. I want to make a unique head for him, but I'm not too sure what to do with it. Maybe I'll try and fit on the spare armada blurr head I have...

Pics:
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/soundwav/IMG_0877.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/soundwav/IMG_0876.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/soundwav/IMG_0880.jpg