Autobot and Dinobot height

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JJohnson, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

I was watching SOS Dinobot, and I was wondering, if we sized the Dinobots to their real-life counterparts, how big would they then be in robot mode?

For example, the triceratops was 30' long, and 7' tall. So, about how big would Slag stand? How big in relation to Prime? What about Grimlock, Snarl, Sludge, and Swoop?

2. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    We know the Dinobots are taller in robot mode than the average Autobot. Most likely in Dino mode, they'd stand the same height as their real-life counterparts, except a few feet taller.

3. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    on the shows where the dinobots kicked prime and megatron's asses from time to time...they were pictured anywhere as equal in height to prime and megs in robot to several feet taller....

4. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Just don't watch Season 3. Grimlock and buddies were reduced to Autobot level.

5. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

The Dinobots height varied from episode to episode, sometimes even from scene to scene.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think some of you are missing the point of the question. We know how big they were in the cartoon. What the OP is asking is how big each Dinobot would be if they were scaled appropriately to their alt-mode.... so no mass-shifting, no cartoon model sheets, etc...

The fact of the matter is that most of them would probably be smaller than they appear on the cartoon. Taking the example of Slag... let's see... if a Triceratops is 30 feet long (at most), and we remove the tail (Slag's tail folds up), let's say the main body of the 'Tops is about 20 feet. The hindquarters fold over, basically doubling in length to expose the legs. The 'Tops head stays put, and nothing else stretches out, so in Slag's case, he would probably be 25-30 feet tall... which I think is roughly the estimated size of G1 Optimus Prime, maybe a little smaller...

To compare that to say... Prowl... let's see... Fairlady Z is actually a smallis car... 14 feet total length. Following his G1 transformation scheme, that ends up with him being about... 13ft tall.

So yeah, if the Dinos followed a realistic scale, they's still be pretty big next to most of the Autobots, though they probably wouldn't dwarf Prime. Maybe Sludge would, depending on what specific species of Sauropod he actually is.

zmog

7. SMOG

Also, if Grimlock is at least as large as the biggest Tyrannosaur fossil ever found, he'd probably end up being about 28 feet tall in bot mode.

So basically the same size as Prime.

zmog

8. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn, makes me wonder how big sludge would really be? Anybody know what dinosour he is exampled after specificly or was he more of a generalized like the rest?

9. SMOG

Hard to say, since all the Dinobots were a bit stylized, and based on outdated theories in some cases. He's definitely a Sauropod of some kind, which means there could be a pretty wide range for his scale. Some Sauropods weren't nearly as big as Apatosaurus or Brachiosaurus.

However there are a couple of factors to consider... if we want to follow the logic that the Dinobots are more or less in scale with each other, we can say that Sludge is one of the smaller types of Sauropod, and has a total length that would be only somewhat longer than Grimlock (say, about 10 feet longer?).

Also, remember that a big part of a Sauropod's length is due to it's long tail and neck. In Sludge's design, both the tail and the neck fold up completely, so it's mainly the core body that is relevant to our calculation. At a guess, I'd say he's about the same size as Grimlock, maybe a bit larger.

Swoop would be the smallest by far... I may be wrong, but the largest winged "dinosaur" with a head crest like his is the Pteranodon, and matching scale with that would leave him standing only maybe 15 feet tall.

zmog

10. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

He is a Sauropod, more specifically a Brontosaurus, which havn't actually existed due to skeletal misidentification.
    Most likely an Apatosaurus then. According to TFwiki he is at least an Apatosaurus in IDWs continuity.

Apatosaurus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. SMOG

The thing is, I'm not sure if the specific species of Sauropod has ever been identified for Sludge... at least not G1 Sludge. It's pretty easy to identify things like Pteranodons, Stegasaurs and Triceratops, even when they're stylized... but Sludge is both generic, and also really doesn't look like a "real" Sauropod very much either (though of course that's mostly due to the fact that our image of what these Dinosaurs looked like has changed in the last 30 years).

That's why I think that Sludge could really be any old Sauropod that fits his basic shape, but more likely one of the smaller ones, because he's rarely depicted as being all that much bigger than his fellow Dinobots.

zmog

12. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

dinobots mass shift with mood ive watched grimlock go from being taller then prime to the height of hound

13. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Well the Diaclone original version of the toy that was to become Sludge was at least named "Dinosaur Robo Brontosaurus".

14. SMOG

Heh. Well then, that settles it. He's a very small Apatosaurus, I guess. :) 

zmog

15. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I know he's not, but imagine Sludge was an Argentinosauraus, he's be huge!

Never understood why Bay never had the Dinobots in the films. Boys like Dinosaurs, Boys like Robots, Boys like things that Transform.........all 3 in one.........no brainer!

16. JJohnson

I'm trying to assume as little 'mass shifting' as possible, keeping that for Soundwave, his cassettes, and Megatron.

Let's say Tyrannosaurus, which was about 40 feet long, 18-20 feet tall. If we broke down Grimlock's body into 40 segments, about how tall would he be if we assume no mass-shifting? I'm at work, so I don't have Grimlock with me to test this out, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

17. SMOG

I prefer to see Sludge as a bit smaller, so that he doesn't clash too much with the rest of his team.

Robot dinosaurs that breathe FIRE!! :D 

I actually used exactly that method in my first post above. He came out to around 28 feet tall, bearing in mind of course that I was also adjusting for the proportions that are much different in the Grimlock toy than a real Tyrannosaurus (longer tail, less upright body).

zmog

18. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    ^ Yeah......the fire breathing too! They could do this to Bay! :bay 

19. JJohnson

I'm using the Masterpiece Grimlock, mostly because I can't find my G1 at the moment.

Head: 2.5" (real is 5')
    Length: 13.5"
    Height: ~5.5"
    Robot: 9"

So, it looks like a half-scaled T-Rex, so I'm guessing about 26' long, roughly 12' high. Robot mode, assuming no mass-shifting, would be 18' tall.

If we go with a 40' T-Rex, then he's about 1/3 scale, which would give a ~27' robot mode.

Masterpiece Prime:
    Truck: ?? (I can't find dimensions for the FL86 anywhere online. I can see 24.5" wheels though.)
    Prime: 9 2/8", 3.5", 4", robot: 12"
    Given 24.5" wheels, 1 3/16" on MP, so about 20x, Prime would be about 247.6", which makes him about 20' or so. This doesn't seem right.

The Fairlady Z was 174", or 14.5' long, 66.5" wide, and 51" high

The toy is 4 7/16" long, 1 5/8" wide, 1 5/16" tall, and the robot is 3 7/8" tall. That's a 40/1 scale, roughly, so he should be about 156.35" tall, or about 13' tall. So Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smokescreen should be about that.

Hound: 3 5/8" long, 1 11/16" (~4.2 cm) wide, 1 3/16" tall, 3 9/16" robot height.

Lamborghini Countach: length: 162.99", width: 96.46", height: 42.13"
    Sideswipe: length: 4 3/8", width: 1 15/16" 5.1c, height: 1 3/16", robot: 4 5/16"
    Roughly 37.25/1, so about 160.7" tall, so Sideswipe, Red Alert, Tigertrack, Deep Cover are about 13' 5", (13.39') tall, so about the same height as Prowl.

Porsche: length: 184.3", width: 78.7", height: 49.8" (4680 mm, 1998 mm, 1265 mm)
    Jazz: length: 4 3/8", width: 2 3/16", height: 1.25", 4 1/8" tall
    Roughly: 42.7/1, so Jazz and Stepper are about 176.1", or 14.7'

That's what I can get to tonight, but if we assume no mass-shifting for the cars and Dinobots:

Grimlock: 27'
    Jazz: 14.7'
    Prowl: 13'
    Sideswipe: 13.4'

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Just imagine if MP Grimlock was that scale over MP01.....that would have been awesome.....if not insanely expensive!