Autobot Alliance Tomahawk

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by SharkyMcShark, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I've not seen a thread kicking about so I thought I'd start one.

I finally picked this up today, a bit belatedly, it boy was it worth the wait. The chopper mode is solid looking. It's quite bulky, but in a good way. It's well armed - apart from the rocket launchers (which have 5mm pegs and 3mm clips on ball joints - lovely touch) each wing has non firing rockets and a machine gun. The nose has a sensor pod that can rotate (another lovely touch). The main rotor spins nicely (and has a catch that stops it after a few rotations) and the tail rotor is molded.

Transformation is as you'd expect. Robot mod looks really good - the rocket launchers can be held as guns or plug/clip on in about half a dozen different ways. It's posable and the big feet give it a large scope for interesting stances. I'm not a large fan of the head, but then I don't hate it either. It's middle of the road.

My only complaint is that the Hasbro photos we've seen thus far had a lot more dark colours, which on the actual release are replaced with brown plastic.

One of the best deluxes we've had in ages. Easily the best deluxe helicopter we've ever had (although that's not really a title with a lot of contenders). I look forward to any repaints that come out.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Just for note to anyone with a tomahawk:

you can store his missiles in a Crossfire way near his backpack, using the launcher's clips, the missiles are perfect sized. So using it as storage point, he actually looks ... slightly more armed and badass.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I got that figure from BBTS a couple weeks ago and got tired of it in about a day. Nothing special going on with that figure other than it's new. Maybe because the transformation is too predictable/straightforward for movie toy? On the other hand, if you try to be original like Blazemaster, look what happens... :) 

4. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    As I see it, Tomahawk has a better colorscheme and for the most part a cooler robot design than Terradive, but there's a multitude of little things that bother me about him. One thing is the helicopter mode, which looks really fat and awkward. The rotor blade halves are constantly skewed because they start to collapse on themselves with the slightest spin. The feet in robot mode look like enormous handlebars and don't seem to fit his otherwise traditional TF aesthetic at all. His articulation is almost identical to Terradive's, including the rather crappy foot articulation, but Tomahawk's jointing is actually a tiny bit worse because his elbows don't go very far and he doesn't have wrist swivels. And while I can see that he's supposed to be able to hold the missile launchers in his hands, they are both so loose that there's not much point in trying.

So.....Better looking than Terradive, definitely, but not as fun.

5. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :useless 

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Quite like this one, cracked it open last night. He has a nice, unique look. The only bit that really bugs me at all is that the tail of the chopper doesn't collapse quite as tightly against the arm on the left arm, due to the connection pegs on it.

7. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

8. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I was considering making this thread myself yesterday but I could have sworn there already was one somewhere. I'll take some pics and post my thoughts in a bit so we can get those smileys outta here.

EDIT: I can't find my camera.

9. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

10. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Did you find tomahawk in a store, or is he in stock online somewhere? It looks like its sold out everywhere I've looked online.

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He was in stock at Hasbro Toy Shop about a week ago, a lot of us commenting about now probably went for that.

12. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Found my camera. Gonna grill up a burger for dinner then I'll take care of those pics and thoughts.

13. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I picked him (and Terradive) up in a Target.

14. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    my review:
    Technically speaking there's not much wrong with Tomahawk. He could use some better arm articulation and his copter blade likes to stop spinning after a couple revolutions but that's about it. I just don't really care for him because he's very mediocre. He has no personality. All of the figures I have pictured with him in bot mode have more personality. He's just very bland. The arm claw -> tail rotor thing is cool and I'd like to see a different copter try it. I know I'm going to get flak for this, but I liked Blazemaster better. His was a unique and daring design and a he was cool copter we'd never seen before. Tomahawk is none of those things. His missiles have 3mm clips though which is cool.

Here are the mandatory pics for you smiley abusers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The last one's kinda blurry, I was trying to get a good pic of his face. Sorry.

15. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Wow, all that moaning about pictures and not even a comment since....

16. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    This review really helps me to assure that I shouldn't get it !!

I did recall that I didn't find it interesting base on the official pic... and too predictable in term of its transformation...

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep going back and forth on this guy. Looks pretty good in the pics, and I like the color scheme, but he's not really a distinct character and his head does little for me.

18. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

Funny, I wouldn't think that Tomahawk needs much defending, but I'll say that he's one of the better helicopter Transformers that I can remember.

The helicopter mode is decent, one of the more heavily armed choppers with twin wings that sport fixed missiles, a gatling gun on each wing tip and the removable launchers. I trimmed the ends of the skinny missiles, and they look much better now. More compact. The front sensor pod on the chopper's nose rotates a bit, a nice touch.

I like how you can position the tail fin to your liking, and it looks good a couple of different ways. The rotors aren't bad at all, they don't spin a whole lot and don't have a mechanism to spin them, but they also don't flop around.

He has decent folding landing gear, there aren't a whole lot of robot parts visible in chopper mode (provided that you rotate the head so it doesn't look out from underneath), and while some have criticized the chopper mode as being bulky, I think it looks fairly substantial, a nice combination of an Apache style chopper with some of the older helicopter gunships.

Robot mode - the transformation is fairly straightforward, nothing too complicated or fancy. I like how the feet form and they have good stability. The arms pose well enough, and while the tail halves don't lock in on anything (the left one seems like it should, but I think that's just a coincidence), friction keeps the arms transformed. I like how you can keep the tail fin/snippers weapon (you could even call it something like a tomahawk if you were being charitable) folded in next to the hand, or you could transform the arm a bit to extend the tail weapon out.

The hands fit the standard pegs, you can keep the launchers on the wings, or clip them to the 3mm clip points, or hold them in the hands (they stay pretty well, if you have the triggers facing inwards). The head's a bit bland but not bad, looks like he's wearing a helmet with a visor. The wing weapons can be posed, and you can fold the rotor in half (so it forms a V on his back), and it doesn't flop around that much in robot mode too. I find that to be better than, say, movie Blackout.

Sure, he's not terrifically exciting, but he's a good solid helicopter TF, who doesn't have any glaring flaws, and is nicely customizable to boot. I think given a repaint or a different head - that Whirl custom I saw in Radicons is really nice - this guy could emerge as one of the unsung heroes of the line.

Tim
    "toy geek"

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, i am a helicopter fanatic to begin with, so this was a must have. (i bought 2 Blazemasters, go fig.)
    but until he's in hand, i won't bash him all that much.

but the clips and repositioning of the weapons is a great touch. it is one thing to have a versatile, poseable figure, but to have a variety of armaments, is pure win for me.

i can't wait for mine to show up today.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    he can also be armed with other weapons due to his 3mm bars.... I actually kinda like him.