Australia members! Care to give some advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nyarlahotep, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    My girlfriend and I will be making our first trip to Australia this holiday (Dec 13th - Jan 17th) and we'd love to hear what you have to say about your home country! Where is your favorite place to visit? What do you love to do? Can you recommend places to eat?

Our plan so far involves scuba diving in the great barrier reef for a number of days (hopefully on an expedition - would love to hear opinions on these if possible) and traveling south down the east coast into Sydney so anything along the way is fair game!

We will be flying into Christchurch NZ and driving motorcycles north to Auckland and then flying home to LA.

If you happen to live around where we'll be visiting it would be great to meet and talk TF's!

Thanks for your replies!

Steve

2. red4

red4 Banned

You should go to Brizbin (Brisbane) and say hi to my friend Liam who works at some electronics store.

Yeah, I got nothing. *is American*

3. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    One of the Board Members lives in Christchurch, I wish I could remember who it was, I know I've traded with him before in the Junkion Exchange. Man, that's gonna bug me now.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

First of all, Nyarla-something, how dare you?

How dare you come to our country, and not even bother to travel to Perth? How could you, man?

There's only one thing of any importance you will see in, say, Sydney. Traffic jams. You won't get anywhere, you'll be stuck in the middle of the road.

Canberra's nothing but a hole, don't go there, and that's about all there is.

Brisbane. Here's a hint for ya, BrisBANE. Just stay away from it.

Melbourne. Nothing to see here. Move on.

Western Australia, you can see...something, and maybe organise a trip to Wave Rock or the Pinnacles. And maybe see the Bell Tower if you have a day to waste. Kings Park isn't bad either.

In conclusion. Stay out of our country. It's not that we don't want you here, i'm sure you're a nice guy, but this place is a hole no matter where you go. I'm just telling you that the West is the better side of this country.

Actually, just go to NZ.

Yes, i live in Australia. So i'm right.

[/Travel Advice]

5. Nyarlahotep

Ebay:
    Looks like I won't be crashing at your place :lolol 

6. red4

red4 Banned

Personally, if I had the money, I would hike the outback. I don't care how stupid and dangerous that is.

7. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Okay, don't go to Australia. Yes, its a nice place and I love living here, but honestly, New Zealand >>>>>>> Australia.
    Sydney - Graffitti everywhere, crappy weather, but things like the Sydney Harbour Bridge make it awesome. Be sure to go to Bondi Beach and the Bondi Junction.
    Canberra - I live here. Its so boring. NOTHING to do or see here.
    Brisbane - Extremely hot and boring.
    Melbourne - Alright. Really nice city, but it always has the worst weather. Always raining.. Other than that its a nice place.
    Queensland - Extremely hot and I only like the Gold Coast. But, you live in America, so your theme parks own ours.
    All the other places are extremely hot and boring.
    South island of New Zealand - Amazing weather and amazing people
    North Island of New Zealand - Not that good weather but everything else is great. Be sure to go check out some mud pools, volcanoes and go bungee jumping :) 

Oh and Western Australia - Alright weather and alot of deadly insects and animals ;) 

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. starlarprime

starlarprime True Fan Of Optimus Prime

I am from Tasmania , and no jokes from the other Aussies about me having two heads or I will get the tassie devils onto you. Differently come down to Tasmania we have lovely old buildings, peaceful beautiful places, and we are a island to so you will have all the peace but also wonderful sites to see.

9. Treadshot A1

Hmm, so i guess i was right. General consensus: Stay out of our country. You don't want to come here.

Tasmania is an okay place. I'd forgotten it was part of Australia, though. :lol  I'm not too familiar with the place, too many Devils and three-headed whatsits for me. I hear there is stuff to see, though.
    Hmm, never knew Tasmanians had their own language. I think you meant to say "Definitely come down to Tasmania".

And yes, WA has a lot of lethal crap. Living, lethal crap. Redbacks, snakes and the odd boxing Kangaroo (no, they don't actually wear gloves). And the Outback. You have to love the outback. It's like the part that links the desert to civilization, the gray area between Black and White. That's actually probably better than most cities in Australia.

Red4's got the right idea: Go for a hike. Guaranteed we won't see you ever again. ;) 

The Gold Coast is overrated. Unless you're a surfer keen to waste away your life in shark infested waters, don't go there. The theme of the theme parks over there is: Shamelessly copy and downsize other theme parks. I'm serious. That pretty much sums it up.

BTW, soon you'll be able to walk from the East Coast of Australia to New Zealand. Yeah, this country's moving forward. :lol 

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes it's a strange country, suffers from a bit of an inferiority complex and is obsessed with being "internationally recognized" and acknowledged on the world stage.

There's plenty to do here depending on what your interests are. Just to point out the obvious though, it's a HUGE country that is very sparsely populated once you move away from the coast.

Queensland - Jungles and tropical things up north, plenty of beaches along the coast but a bit touristy. Very humid, hope you like sweating.

Sydney - big city, worth visiting for the few famous landmarks. You can climb up the harbor bridge but it's kinda pricey from memory and I think you need to book in advance.

Melbourne - Much nicer city than Sydney, it's the cultural capital of the nation. Lots of interesting buildings and atmosphere if that's your thing. Trams too!

Tasmania - kind of similar to the English countryside. Pretty nice, unfairly mocked.

South Australia - Nothing too interesting in here.

Northern Territory - Home of that big rock thing in the middle of the desert. Shame it's a total shithole. Seriously. No one that can't leave will stay here.

Western Australia - The southwest is a lovely lush green surfing / hippie / winemaking / caving wonderland. Perth is in interesting city but doesn't offer too much that you won't find in Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane. Heading north there are lots more beaches and going inland there's plenty of desert.

11. Treadshot A1

Except for the fact the island's shaped like someone's underpants (pretty common joke in Australian primary schools that somehow sticks in everyone's mind even as they grow up). That and the two-heads thing.

Hmm, i actually have a friend (who knew i had friends?!) who's a total environmental nutjob and loves caving, and i do remember him having gone down south of Perth for some trips a while back. Perhaps that might be worth a visit. IIRC, though, he mentioned something about it being very dark and full of bats. Not sure if there are any on the East Coast, i'll ask him sometime (read: never).

Oh, and if you do go to those caves, when you come out, you WILL know what the difference between a stalactite (sp?) and a stalacmite (sp?) is. And you won't bloody forget it. Or at least i won't, because he won't shut up about it.

And here's a handy tourist hint: You'll hear the phrase "Shut up" a lot. We're not being nasty to you, that's just how we speak. So shut up about it already.

Handy hint number 2: If you do go to any places with wild animals, there are known to be Drop Bears around. They're like snakes, but deadlier. Much deadlier should they poison you. There's a vaccine for them which is available for free for all tourists, just go to your local Australian Embassy and have it arranged. I'm serious, you need to have it, or they won't let you in to the country.

Hint 3: If you need help, ask. You wouldn't believe how gullible, i mean helpful Austalian people are. They'll help tourists no matter what. Because frankly we rarely ever see your kind in our far off land.

Hint 4: "Bloody" is just an adjective to make things more exaggerated. Like "Bloody good, mate!", or "Where the bloody hell are ya?". Again, don't take offense.

12. Nyarlahotep

Ebay:
    I'm sorry I ignored this post for so long, but you guys have offered some really good advice!

And now I will ignore said advice! I'll be headed out your way on the 9th and heading all the way down the east coast from Cairns to Sydney to Auckland over the course of about 5 weeks or so.

If you feel so inclined feel free to check out my girlfriends blog www.vernalgroove.com where we will be posting updates of our adventure here and there and if we're in your area shout out! We'd love to impose and I'd love to talk TFs! Anything to drive my GF bonkers :lol 

Drop me a PM or send me an email if you have any interest in meeting, it would be a blast to meet a TF fan from around the world.

My email is steve(dot)kick(@)gmail(dot)com

Any last words of warning before we invade?

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Bring sunscreen, lots of it. Seriously, some places out here you will get some wicked fucking sunburn unless you are prepared for it. If you do get burnt, Aloe Vera is your friend.

In defence of Canberra, while there isn't as much to do here as there is in other cities we do have about two places worth visiting: Parliament House and the National War Memorial.

Parliament House is nice, air con is great and its interesting if politics is your thing.

The War Memorial is possibly the most beautiful building in the city. Gold Coin donation appreciated for entry; it has an excellent if sometimes saddening collection of artefacts and stories from every major conflict the Australian Defence Force has ever particiapted in. My favourite part is the Pool of Reflection; a long pool that has the Eternal Flame; and on either side on raised walkways are the Rolls of Honour from our wars. At the end of it, is the Tomb of the Unknown soldier.

Seriously, if you're coming down and you stop in Canberra, and have time for one place to visit, visit the War Memorial.

Australian War Memorial - Home

[​IMG]

This is the Pool of Reflection.

14. Treadshot A1

Seriously, have you and your girlfriend had this vaccination yet? You better organise it soon, it's a requirement for entering the country. Otherwise you'll be turned back at the border, and you and your girlfriend will have to go right back where you came from.

And Drop Bears are bloody dangerous. They bite you, and you're dead within hours if you aren't vaccinated. Go to your Embassy, get it arranged, and no mater how much either you or your girlfriend hate needles, you have to get it. It's not advice, it's the law.

*I would meet you, but since you insist on not coming to Perth, i can't see ya. Oh well.

Also, are you here on teh 22nd of Jan, BTW? Waicon is being held in perth then, for all anime lovers, you don't want to miss that, it's the only thing good in Australia, unless you like to see 3 headed monsters in Tasmania... :lol 

But seriously, get the vaccine. I can't stress this enough, both of you must get it before you come here. Sadly, because it's a law, the airlines won't refund tickets to those that get sent back due to not having the vaccine. I don't know if you can have it at the border, but i wouldn't risk it. Everyone in Oz has had this vaccine when they were kids, so it's no big deal for us, but visitors need it.

15. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    While I cannot speak much for Aussie (Since I don't live there and only have visited once in Sydney) I can say that you will enjoy NZ if your ever coming down here to check it out.

If your gonna be looking for some TF's your gonna be outta luck depending on where you look for them since we usually get TF's later than the US but there is the occasional time when we get stuff earlier than the US since we buy our stock from Australia.